“Good luck ordering from the menu” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night
Sydney, Australia
“Good luck ordering from the menu”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

After spending a few weeks in the US my family of 5 and I (3 kids under 7yo) were withdrawing from our usual Thai addiction. We had spent the day wandering around the North Shore and happened upon this restaurant.
After looking at the menu we spent 20mins trying to order only to be told we had to wait for the owner (??)
The owner came out, asked us a heap of questions about what sort of Thai we like and told us he would prepare dishes of his choosing for us. We declined as we had 3 very picky children with us and one adult vegetarian who does not like spicy food. Also our dollar is currently very poor against the US dollar so we are on a strict budget.
After discussing this with the owner we finally relented as we didn't want to offend him. We did tell him we are light eaters so no more than 3 dishes all up.
The first 3 dishes we received were completely wrong for the kids, spicy and nothing like what I have ever had in Thailand (even after living there for a year) in fact we asked waiter after waiter what was in each dish only to be told they didn't know. The kids were starving and miserable so I ordered a plate of spring rolls for them.
More dishes came out and we told them we had only wanted 3 dishes. We were told even more food was coming. One of these dishes was made from noodles so the kids could at least try something, everything else was a 10/10 in terms of heat and spiciness and completely wrong for littlies.
All in all we received 9 dishes! That was for 3 adults and 3 small children!
We had initially wanted to order a Thai fried rice, pad see ew, chicken with cashew nuts and some spring rolls, I expected this would come to around $50, instead we received a bill of $130! Two of the dishes we didn't even touch as we were so full and it was too spicy.
We weren't the only ones who were unhappy, the table next to us were livid as well. Even more so when we found out our vegetarian had been served sting ray! We left feeling annoyed and taken advantage of. Even worse we had to go across the road to buy something at the grocery store for the kids to eat.
Why have a menu if you are just going to tell your customers what they are going to get to eat? We would have gone elsewhere.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Newnan, GA
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

The owner came to the table while we were looking at the menus and asked us if we like Thai food and when was the las meal we had at one. After a few more questions about what we liked, he took the menus and prepared a surprise meal for us. It was fantastic!! Grilled pork in a mild sauce with onions and red and green peppers, coconut soup( a little to hot for me but the wife loved it) and last noodles,chicken, peppers and onions in what seemed like a teriyaki sauce. The meal was great. Do not miss this spot!!

Be careful if you do not want a lot to eat and just want appetizers, just stick to the menu.

• Visited December 2013
Oahu, Hawaii
“great thai food and terrific service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Heard so much about Opal Thai and saw a segment of Opal Thai, on TV. I "think" it was on Bizarre Food, when Andrew Zimmerman came to Hawaii. We ventured to Opal Thai for "take out" Thai foods. The menu is confusing. We ordered the Crispy Spring Rolls, Fresh Summer Rolls, and Chicken with Pad Thai Noodles. After we ordered, a waiter (I think he may have been the owner) came to us and asked if it was our first time there. We answered yes, and he said he normally suggests items on the menu, to make it the best dining experience. He suggested only one type of rolls and additional noodles. Since we had ordered already, I didn't want create problems in the kitchen. I will ask him for assistance when we do visit Opal Thai again. A friend who works nearby said that Opal Thai is "packed" until closing at 10:00 pm. I know why,,,,,,,,,, the food is great and service is excellent.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Asheville, North Carolina
“Thai food like no other place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

My wife and I do love our Thai food. This is a place that I had actually planned our mid-day around on our all day excursion on Oahu on Tuesday. We went to Pearl Harbor in the am and were done about 11pm. We then drove up to Haleiwa with Opal as our target. The drive from Pearl was only around 25 minutes, maybe 30 and we timed it right, we were hungry. We found Opal in a grocery store strip mall. luckily we got seated right away. This is not a huge place and as we sat there, the crowd started to line up. I had a Pad Thai, and my wife had the Drunken Chicken. They were both delicious, with a taste profile that we have never had in Thai food. I would say that the food had an "island flair" and again, was delicious! The meal was reasonably priced and I would make it a must stop if you are visiting the awesome North Shore.

• Visited October 2013
Greenville, South Carolina
“Great mix of flavors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

This is a small, unadorned place with a chef/owner larger than life engaging personality. Web site hours/days information is not accurate and best to check in advance via phone. Owner does not provide info for web and he does not know where it is being drawn from. They are closed presently on Sat and Sun and open from 11-3PM and then again at 5:30PM M-F , CASH only, alcohol can be brought in from outside none served. As noted in other reviews, chef/staff will discuss your likes and make a menu. This is how they work and one should not try and fight the program. One can read the poor reviews and make a decision if this place is not for you. Otherwise enjoy the moment.

• Visited November 2013