“Great for kids and family” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 36 activities in Haleiwa
Type: Surf Camps
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Uncle Bryan Suratt presents, Sunset Suratt Surf Academy. Located on the North Shore of Oahu, home of Hawaii's most famous surf spots, Uncle Bryan prides himself on having the best trained surf instructors in Hawaii. All of our instructors are pro-level surfers themselves. Our surf school develops skills for longboard, short board, and stand-up paddle surfing. We take 6-month-old babies and adults in their 70s out for their very first time! Our surf lessons are for all ages and all levels, we teach surfers from beginners to pros. Sunset Suratt Surf Academy's classrooms are in the ocean from Sunset beach to Pipeline to Haleiwa, for a safe, guided hands on experience in the world of surfing. "It will be the most rewarding and thrilling gift that you can give to yourself or a loved one. A cherished experience of a lifetime. GO FOR IT!"Looking for a surfboard to rent while on the North Shore? Look no further. We got 'em—from shortboards to longboards to stand-up paddle boards! Sunset Suratt offers quality surfboard rentals.
Spokane, Washington
“Great for kids and family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Loved the fact that our instructor (Christian) was so great with kids. I wanted a surf instructor for my two kids, ages 7 and 9 (boy and girl) who never surfed. Bryan provided us with a great instructor. My kids aren't naturals in the water, but they did great, both kids stood up on their first waves! More great waves than wipeouts. They had so much fun, my husband and I went out for our first time surfing too. The kids had such a good time, we decided to do it again the next day. Christian and Jax were our instructors on the second day. We didn't sign up for privates, but that is what we got since it was a little early in the winter season. Lucky us. The waves were a little bigger and went out as a family with two instructors. What a great time together. Number one, I felt that my kids were with an experienced instructor who focused on safety, fun and learning. Number two, the conditions were perfect - they take you to the beach that has the right conditions for learning - wave after wave. It was a good chunk our our vacation budget, but we felt like it was worth the money - way better than buying souvenirs or eating out. We will all remember this. We managed to get great pictures too!

Visited November 2013

New York, New York, United States
5 attraction reviews
“Good for beginner but choose a good instructor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Few of us in different surfing levels got a few lessons from Uncle Bryan. All instructors were pretty friendly. We had a good time while we tried different instructors at different sessions. Two of us were more intermediate and surfed in smaller longboards (8 and 9'). While I was surfing with an ease to get a long ride and had my leg only slightly bended, the instructors of the day kept on telling us that we need to squat down low. I didn't know better and so I followed and have been squatting low until other professional and experience surfers told me that I don't need to squat low unless I cannot balance. Longboard surfing should look very easy and graceful. Mostly shortboard surfers squat low because the type of waves and also shortboards are harder to balance in comparison to longboard. Now the squatting has become a bad habit to get ride of since I surf both long and shortboards...That is the only reason I take of a star and give Uncle Bryan 4 stars. Oh Uncle Bryan!

Visited March 2013
Towson, Maryland
“Lots of fun! Great bunch of people!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We paid a visit to Uncle Bryan and his family/crew of surf instructors on Nov. 8 and had a great time! I took a surf lesson with Mia and Connor and my husband and our two friends rented stand up paddle boards and struck off on their own during my lesson. Mia and Connor had a good system for keeping us organized on the sometimes crowded beginner waves, and they provided very helpful instruction and critiques throughout the lesson. One of our friends had taken a surf lesson at our resort earlier in the week and he did not particularly enjoy his experience; and after seeing my lesson he wished we had come across uncle Bryan's earlier in the week! We also saw quite a few massive sea turtles while bobbing up and down in the surf - very cool!! Mia also makes her own jewelry; she will give you a card if you're interested. My only word of warning... If you are prone to seasickness, have someone waiting on the beach with ginger ale! I had a great time riding the waves, but I was about to barf after two hours of bobbing up and down!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Canadian's Love Uncle Bryan!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Nothing beats surfing with Uncle B, and his cute surfer boys. Me and my friend went for surf lessons into Halewia and had a wonderful 2 hour private lesson. It was my friends first time surfing and the boys had her up and surfing on the first wave. Everytime my family travels back to Oahu we make sure to stop in for surf lessons with Uncle Bryan because we have such a good expierence with Uncle B and his crew making sure we all get up and ride the waves! When your looking for fun to do while on vacation Uncle Bryans surf school is worth it its a fun day in the sun learning something new. Thanks again Uncle Bryan and the crew for an awesome day surfing.
Aloha.

Visited October 2013
Redding, California
“Great People - Great Experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We enjoyed a lovely Stand Up Paddle journey to the top of Haleiwa River. We saw turtles!!! We were able to get started quickly and the boards were easy to use and in great condition! Well worth it. Uncle Bryan is the best and his crew is really great. We'd highly recommend them.

Visited November 2013