“Local "secret" spot in the shadow of it's popular next door neighbor” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aoki's Shave Ice - CLOSED

Menu
Improve this listing
Dining options: Dessert
Seattle, Washington
“Local "secret" spot in the shadow of it's popular next door neighbor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I was referred here by a few locals after I told them I was going to the famous Matsumoto's Shave Ice store. After seeing the absolutely ridiculous line at Matsumoto's, I decided to give Aoki's a try. It was well worth it. They provide some recommended flavor blends but also give you a chance to choose your own flavors as well. I got the blend that included Li Hing Mui, Pineapple, and Lilikoi. The sweet taste of the pineapple and lilikoi complimented the salty, slightly sour Li Hing Mui (salty dry plum) flavor. Li Hing Mui is actually quite the delicacy in Hawaii and frequently comes in a powdery mix that is sprinkled on many snacks such as gummy bears and dried fruits. I also added vanilla ice cream and condensed milk for an additional creamy flavor.

Service was friendly, the price was relatively inexpensive, and the shaved ice was refreshing and full of flavor. Not to mention that I almost guarantee that I got my shave ice in less than half the amount of time I would've had to wait at Matsumoto's (probably less). I am grateful for the suggestion made by the locals and hope I can share this tip to anyone else who is looking for some great shave ice on Oahu's North Shore.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Alexandria, Virginia
“Awesome shave ice!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I love Aoki's!! The line is always shorter than Matsumoto's and moves very fast. They have the best local flavors on the island. When I lived on Oahu, I use to go all the time. I visit the island once a year and make it a priority to get a taste. I love adding Kona Coffee Ice cream or Peanut Butter Cup ice cream. Try it out, the ice melts in your mouth!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Rochester, NY
“Ok, for a basic sno cone”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

Ok, well maybe I'm biased but shave ice is little more than a sno cone. Most of us got ours plain or with ice cream at the bottom, my husband got the ice cream and the beans. The beans were rather disgusting to be honest. Must be one of those things you have to grow up on to like. Overall they were fine, with lots of flavors to choose from, but it just wasn't anything that special IMO.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Decent, but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

The shave ice had a few clumps in it, so overall, it felt more like a snowcone. Also, some of the syrups are rather weak (though the local mix was definitely worth it). We came on a Saturday, and the line was about 15 minutes long, which wasn't too bad. Overall, it was worth going too, though it wasn't really good enough to be considered five-star.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
here
“Refreshing Tropical Treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We heard from more than one local: "Go to Aokis! It's the best!" One even went as far to say that other shave ice places were "retardo" compared to Aokis. Of course, we loved Aokis! It was delicious and we ate every last drop, but maybe our expectations were too high because we expected a little more. Overall you really should go! (P.S the ice cream on the bottom really is what makes it worth it!)

• Visited July 2012