“We loved this B&B!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rainbow Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aiea
Rainbow Inn
You added Rainbow Inn to your Saves list
98-1049 Mahola Place, Aiea, Oahu, HI 96701   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Aiea B&B and Inns
ottawa
“We loved this B&B!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

We would highly recommend. Great attention to detail. We felt right at home and enjoyed the view very much.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Rainbow Inn. It was perfectly located near Pearl Harbor and a short drive to the Honolulu/Waikiki areas. The guest room is located at the bottom of a house in the Aiea foothills above Pearl Harbor. There is a little side gate to enter and we found it very private and quiet. The view from the room was magnificent, especially at sunset. The guest room itself was very comfortable - a nice sized kitchen, comfortable bed, and large bathroom. Terri welcomed us from the start and we bumped into her one day and had a nice chat. When we return to Oahu, we wouldn't think of staying anywhere else.

• Stayed November 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

We had such a great experience here. We'd read good reviews on this site and booked on that basis, and from my very first email communications with Terri I felt confident we made the right choice. The view and lanai are beautiful, and the room was cleaner than a hotel we later paid $300/night for! The value really cannot be beat, especially since beach essentials are provided - we always had clean beach towels in addition to bath towels, and I was mad at myself for forgetting to bring a beach bag, but there was one hanging in the beach supply area, and it was such a relief not to have to spend ten bucks on one at Target!

In addition to that, it was nice to have recommendations for local sites and businesses - this definitely made a difference in our trip. It was great having a kitchen, too, not just for breakfast but for reheating leftovers for lunch, etc. Many places on the island serve huge portions, and it was great to save money by reheating them for lunch or a snack.

I felt like there were so many little touches that made our stay special, as opposed to our stay at a chain hotel, which was not bad but didn't feel as personal and thoughtful as the attention we got at this B&B. (And I am usually someone who would prefer a chain hotel! This experience really changed my mind.)

We have so many beautiful pictures of the view and the lovely garden. Loved having the privacy of our own pool area and waking up to birdsong! We were able to get everywhere from North Shore to Waikiki in less than an hour, even in the infamous traffic.

I'm so glad we stayed here for our first trip to Hawaii and would recommend it to anyone - we really felt welcome in this beautiful home.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Beverwijk, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

Wow, this was an excellent start of our honeymoon. I'm so glad that we found this wonderful Rainbow Inn. Terri and Mike have a peaceful and quiet place. The garden and pool are beautiful. The room is pretty decorated and was well stocked. You don't need to bring towels and beachgear, because Terri and Mike have taken care for this part. Also the fridge was stocked and there was coffee and tea. But the most beautiful thing we had here, was the view. We woke up and could see Pearl Harbor from our bed. The view is incrediable.
The location of the inn is great. It is a wonderful jumping off point to access the entire island quickly and easily. Major highways are within easy reach. And you are not in tourist town Waikiki!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
California, New Jersey, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

I returned to the Rainbow Inn over Labor Day weekend and enjoyed my stay immensely, thanks to Terry and Mike's continued attention to detail.

The room was stocked with current local guides and newspapers. Every night, I perused them and made an itinerary for the next day. I went to local farmers' markets and shops I never would have found on my own.

The Inn provides all of the items I needed to pack a lunch then set off to the beach and on my errands: coolers, beach mats, etc. This saved me a small fortune for items I would have bought but would not have been able to bring home.

Each day when I returned "home," I took it down a notch and spent time at the spotless pool overlooking Pearl Harbor. What a view.

Mike and Terri upgraded their wireless router which made a noticeable improvement in internet service: it was fast and effortless - perfect for those who want to quickly ensure things aren't imploding at the office.

This time I actually used the TV. The inn's welcome guide easily explained how to use the remote and there were a multitude of channels to choose from.

I made more home-cooked meals on this trip, too, and was happy to find that every utensil, pot and container I needed to whip up and store my meals was in the unit.

Go. You will thank yourself.

Room Tip: There is only one room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Landsborough, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Terri and Mike have an excellent little B&B in Aiea in the hills overlooking Pearl Harbour. One thing that impressed us was the serenity of the location - away from the hustle and bustle of Honolulu.
Our hosts had provided an excellent package of things to do, places to eat, and other things to know about Oahu. nothing seemed to be a bother. Everything we needed was in the unit.
We were in our last week of an overseas trip that had already been five weeks. Our time here was very relaxing, though we did get to see a few places around the island. Throughly enjoyed the north shore and the Arizona memorial.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
California, New Jersey, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

On prior visits to Oahu, I stayed in Waikiki for seminars. I love Waikiki when on business - where else can you listen to a lecture, escape on lunch hour, hop in a life-guard protected beach, chase tropical fish then dry off in time before the afternoon session starts?

Waikiki is a great place but the expense and congestion are incredible drawbacks. I escaped on occasion to sight-see but just getting out of the city is a logistical nightmare.

On this trip, I hoped for quiet, away from the frantic pace and traffic downtown. I needed to work yet take a break occasionally and not spend my free time stuck in a logjam on the highway.

I selected the Rainbow Inn from the reviews on Tripadvisor and I thank all of my predecessors for guiding me here.

To start, the proprietors, Terri and Mike, communicate promptly and pleasantly. Their financial requirements are reasonable and above-board. They assisted me from the start, giving clear cut policies and helpful directions from the airport.

The property is a single family home on a cul de sac in a quiet neighborhood. They directed me to park to the left of the driveway, off the street. Once I arrived, they greeted me warmly and assisted me with my luggage

The lodgings consist of the lower level of their home which opens directly out to the pool area and has stunning views of Pearl Harbor. There are floor to ceiling slider doors and many windows which offer a dramatic view of the Memorial during the day and a romantic, twinkling Christmas light effect at night.

The interior of the lodging consists of a more than adequately sized kitchen with everything you need to cook at home. There is a microwave and stove top although no oven. I didn't plan on baking cookies, anyway.

Sleeping arrangements include a large futon and a queen size bed. The bathroom features a large closet and expansive shower. The hosts provide every toiletry anyone would require. If I had known they were so thoughtul, I would have left about 5 lbs of luggage at home.

The feature I utilized the most was the large desk and complimentary wifi. I needed to work to catch up on overdue projects and this would have been impossible without the desk area. Lighting is ample and my aging eyes appreciate that.

Cool breezes flow through the unit although there are multiple fans to help with airflow. An air conditioning unit is set in the wall but I found it unnecessary.

There is a large flat screen TV directly across from the bed and every channel known to man is listed on the directory. I did not have a chance to operate the television.

I believe my hosts thought of everything. There is a pull down ironing board, a book case with loads of reading material, a game cabinet, and everything you need to spend the day at the beach - towels, coolers, straw mats.....

The most valuable resources Terri and Mike supplied was an informative arrival booklet and a pamphlet of restaurant recommendations. The arrival booklet explained everything I needed to know about the Inn but also gave wonderful recommendations about things to do on the island. One recommendation was to attend the swap meet at Aloha Stadium. Little did my hosts know that one of my missions for the trip was to find the swap meet and buy a friend a luggage tag identical to one she purchased a few years ago at the meet. Thanks to Terri & Mike, mission accomplished.

Part of the beauty of this inn is its location. Although it is not beachfront, it is a wonderful jumping off point to access the entire island quickly and easily. Major highways are within easy reach. Shopping is convenient and realistically priced, unlike the fantasyland in Waikiki.

But the real essence of the inn derives from the conscientious, sensible and well thought out approach of the innkeepers. They were totally unobtrusive during my stay yet clearly they take seriously the duty of hosting their guests.

When I first arrived, fairly befuddled after a 10 hour flight and driving alone for the first time on the island, I asked Terri where she was originally from. Without hesitation, she let me know that she has been here so long that she feels that she is from Hawaii.

After spending the last few days observing my hosts' exemplary attention to detail and considerate efforts, I agree that she and Mike personify the essence of the kindness and care of the island and for this I say, "Mahalo."

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Been to Rainbow Inn? Share your experiences!