“Not as Advertised” 2 of 5 stars

Honolulu, Hawaii
8 attraction reviews
“Not as Advertised”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

This was supposed to be an easy trail; the best I could say is that it MIGHT have been borderline-intermediate on a dry day. As it was, I thought it was almost an "experienced" trail only, and I wished I'd had some cleats! Being covered in mud doesnt bother me-but a 2 foot path that gets narrowed to about maybe 6 inches of "usable" trail- which is covered in slick mud with a couple hundred foot drop off DOES. My dog actually went over the side twice - we saved her by her leash, thankfully! Definitely wait for a stretch of relatively dry weather and still expect some mud. However, it IS a lovely forest hike with some great mountain views. If you like birding-you'll like this one. But pick your timing or turn around--by the time we finished up, we had search and rescue helicopters and the fire department coming for *someone* out on the trail behind us...dont know who it was, just hope everyone was okay. The views, in my experience, plus the solitude took this one from a "terrible" trail to a "poor" trail to me. Take it very, very slow and make sure every footing is solid if it IS muddy, and you'll be fine, though--don't expect it to be a 2 hour hike in the mud; leave 3-4.

Visited January 2014

Collinsville, Illinois
5 attraction reviews
“Tougher than expected, but a good workout”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

On this trip we were looking to really do some hiking on Oahu and after doing some searching, came across this trail. I would not call this an easy trail...it is definitely intermediate. As some other have commented, the trail is narrow in some places and you will be climbing over fallen trees. We were also there a day or two after some rain. There were spots along the trail that were a bit muddy, but then we reached the last part near a stream...very slick and muddy. Most of the trail is covered, which keeps you cooler, but also means views can be limited. If you are expecting ocean views, you are not going to find them here. Still, it was a good workout. You want to make sure to take water with you. There are three parking options. We parked at the first parking lot (near picnic shelters and restrooms) outside of the park gates. That meant a bit of a hike up to the trail head, but we were happy about this at the end because we just had a short trek downhill back to our car. You can park at the next parking lot you come to...this is where the trail ends. You wouldn't know this because it is unmarked. This will also require a short trek up to the trail head, but you are at your car at the end. Or you can park in the third parking lot you come to. This is where the trail head is (and where you finally see a sign for it), but remember you will be walking back up to your car at the end.

Visited December 2013
Portland, Oregon
4 attraction reviews
“Pretty nice hike”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I will start by saying that I love to hike and living in Portland, OR has provided me with ample opportunity to hike some amazing trails. I am also an avid geocacher and made sure to hit the Aiea Loop Trail because it has the oldest geocache in Hawaii plus a few others that I really wanted to get. I did a little reading on the hike and found that there is quite a bit of elevation gain at over a couple miles, especially if you take the trail in a counter clockwise route. The trail is very muddy in spots and there were some fallen trees that I had to get around but the 4.5 mile hike offered some wonderful views and plenty of solitude. I wouldn't say this hike is for everyone but if you love hiking and want to spend a few hours on a trail, the Aiea Loop Trail would be a good choice. If you are a geocacher, this trail is a must do for the historic cache and the opportunity to grab a few more along the way.

Visited December 2013
Kaneohe, Hawaii
72 attraction reviews
“Okay Trail--good dog walk”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

This was my second time on the trail and first time to finish with my dog. It is a very long trail with some up and down hills and a few hairy climbs over fallen trees and some narrow paths. It is at the moderate end of easy trails, but still, wouldn't call it moderate. At the very end (near the lower parking lot), there are some switchbacks through a rainforest type setting which is very pretty, but I imagine nasty and muddy after rain. I was fortunate to pick a rather dry day that was overcast. My first attempt at this trail, we started at 10 AM. It got hot and sunny pretty quickly, so we turned around after only 0.5 miles. This time, we started at 9 AM and made it the whole way (took us 4 hours--but Frog, the dog, likes to mark everything he comes to), probably only because of the overcast. My dog is older and struggles with the heat here. The trail takes you around a mountain and, because of that, you get to experience a few of Hawaii's climates and see a lot of different vegetation. We watched a wild boar cross our path at one point. There are guava trees everywhere. You get a nice view of the H3 as it heads into the mountain. Additionally, there are several nice views of Diamond Head, Honolulu, and Pearl Harbor. There are no waterfalls or permanent streams. I would call it more of a nice, challenging walk. Admittedly at one point, my dog did almost slip down the hillside, but it was because he refused to go under one of the fallen trees and climbed over without good footing. Personally, I had no problems keeping my footing. Stay on the main trail and you should be fine. I would say this is a great trail for a long trail run.

Visited October 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
137 attraction reviews
“Hated it SO much!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I didn't feel comfortable leaving my moped here. However, I went ahead and went on the walk. It was not an easy trail and I can't believe people were taking their children or dogs on there. The walking space wasn't wide at all, people could fall off the side. Plus, the scenery was horrible. Why walk miles to see one scenic outlook that is the same as what I seen from the road driving there?
Plus, toward the end I started panicking because I thought I was lost and my cell phones didn't get any service there.

Visited September 2013