“Dreamy B&B hosted by the most gracious couple.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Molokai Komohana

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maunaloa
Molokai Komohana
You added Molokai Komohana to your Saves list
P. O. Box 307, West Molokai, Maunaloa, Molokai, HI 96770   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Maunaloa B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Dreamy B&B hosted by the most gracious couple.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Wow! Who knew that in a matter of days a person could fall in love with and island, a home, and the people in it never wanting to leave.

I've never stayed in a B&B before and had no idea what to expect. I selected Molokai Komohana based on the reviews and the rates compared to the hotel and other B&Bs in the area. The five star reviews were enough to convince me to give it a shot - after all I thought, it was only a couple of nights and then I'd be in a resort in Maui.

Tom and Karyl's home is situated near the top of a hill in Maunaloa. There is a general store down the steet and a little shop as well that sells souveniers with the kite store/factory next door. It's a sleepy little town that reminds me a lot of the places my family is from in North Carolina. There is a lovely view of the ocean from the Lanai where you could whale watch - though the whales were being a bit shy when we were there.

Based on reviews I selected the Na Hoku room and it was just perfect! Nice comfy king sized bed. My husband and I left the windows open and the room was the perfect temperature with the island breeze. The room and closet were plenty spacious and the beach towels and spa robes were a nice convenient touch for our trip.

The breakfasts were nothing short of amazing! Who knew passion fruit could taste that perfect! And macadamia nut pancakes... YES PLEASE! You'll hear the raves over and over again, but really, Tom's fruit plating skills are incredible. And together Tom and Karyl's breakfasts were the perfect morning fill ups before my husband and I would head out on the daily adventures. Also I should note, I'm lactose intolerant and as of late my stomach has started to become sensitive to items that I had been okay with before. I mentioned this in a short line on one of our emails and really thought nothing more about it. Well, they were so throughtful to make sure that the dairy in the foods the prepared was the lactose free kind and to even purchase these wonderful DELICIOUS mini toasts that wouldn't upset my stomach. While I wasn't worried - I just assumed I would turn down anything I thought might cause me a problem - for them to go out of their way to make sure I could eat a great breakfast was just incredible!

Now someone else mentioned a rusty shower and I can tell you this is not the case. There is a bright red dirt everywhere on the islands (ever see the Red Dirt Shirt episode on Dirty Jobs?) and it gets on everything. The shower was tinted with the earth of the island and let me tell you - I stayed at the Grand Wailea after in Maui and its tub had the exact same "problem!" So to recap - if a luxury resort can't "clean" their tub from the red dirt stains then really, maybe it's not dirty but just stained by nature. And who doesn't love nature!

I have to finish up this review with a mention of the home. It's cozy and comfortable, decorated with a darling Christmas tree. There are books of Molokai scattered on a table and wonderful Hawaiian music was played over the stereo. But what is the heart of home if not the people in it? And to that I must say I completely fell in love with Tom and Karyl. They are two of the kindest, considerate, warm, and loving people I have ever met. Leaving them was difficult and I can truly say I cannot wait to see them again and hopefully very soon and for a bit longer.

Room Tip: The Na Hoku has the attached bathroom but the other room (unsure of the name) has easy access from t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed here from Dec. 8-10 in the Na Hoku room. We really fell in love with the house - it's bright, big, clean, and comfortable. Tom and Karyl were terrific hosts, too! By the end of the trip they felt like old friends!

Every morning we would eat out on the porch, with a big plate of locally grown fruit. Karyl's oatmeal was so good we asked for the recipe, and Tom's macadamia nut pancakes were the best! Breakfasts were big and delicious, and they would always offer us snacks and drinks. As other reviewers have said, it really does feel like you're visiting your aunt and uncle.

Note: Showers are NOT rusty or dirty, that is a stain on the anti-slip surface left from the red clay all over Moloka'i. Just a fact of life when living on the islands. The house was exceptionally clean and organized, but bear in mind this is a HOUSE not a resort! You're going to see some signs of life!

Room Tip: Na Hoku room was very comfortable. We slept with the window cracked, the cool breeze lulling us to s...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We loved the food, enjoyed the hosts, and we were blown away with the Island. We spent a week on the island and drove all over the island, from tip to tip. We had days on white sand beaches where we were the only ones there all day. We are a young couple and don't really enjoy the normal nightlife, and we found the stay here was exactly what we were looking for. A quiet, secluded, beautiful holiday. The hosts at Molokai Komohana were wonderful and had a different, beautiful breakfast each morning. Tom gave us tips on beaches to visit. We hope to return someday. Molokai will be on our list next time we visit Hawaii.

Room Tip: We stayed in both rooms and liked them equally.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Londonderry, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

The island of Molokai was very quaint and relaxing. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in this peaceful place. There are no stop lights on the entire island which is home to only slightly more than 7,000 residents. Many of the beautiful beaches are almost deserted during the week. We never had to worry about crowds or traffic! Although there are not a lot of restaurants, there are a couple of great places to eat, especially "The Cookhouse". At first glance it is not impressive - with folding chairs, only a few tables, and a small kitchen, but the food was absolutely fantastic!!! My husband's fish just melted in your mouth (yes - I stole some!) The meat on my ribs just fell off the bone and was very tasty. The pies were homemade and delicious - especially the lilikoi (passion fruit) - I was so glad I followed the advice of owner/waitress Tina!. I highly recommend it! There are a couple of small stores and though the prices on some items were higher than on the mainland, in general we found them to be fair. The price of gas was $5.32/gal but the island is only 38 miles long by 10 miles wide so you don't use a lot of gas even touring the entire island. You need to rent a car while on Molokai. Prices through Discount Hawaii Car Rental are better than through Alamo.

The best part of our stay at the Komohana B & B was the delicious breakfasts. Tom does an outstanding job with the fresh fruit! We even took a picture of his beautiful presentation. He was also very accommodating with an early breakfast when we were going on the mule ride to Kalaupapa. (The mule ride was FANTASTIC!!! It was the absolute best part of our entire trip!) Tom is very knowledgeable about the island and loves to help with suggestions of places to see and to eat. He even loaned us maps and guidebooks and beach chairs!

Perhaps we just went at the wrong time - Tom had been gone for a month and then his wife Karyl was gone for another month and she only arrived home while we were there. (We stayed 3 nights.) Maybe keeping the B & B going was just too much for either of them alone. I have struggled with writing this review. While most of the other reviewers raved about it, this B & B did not meet the standards I expected after reading these reviews and I cannot let others be mislead. While Tom & Karyl were very nice, there were problems.

The house had a nice view of the hills and the ocean beyond and a lovely wrap-around porch on which we ate breakfast. However, although I realize that island living is much more relaxed, the house was not overly clean. While there was nothing serious (NO BED BUGS!) most things had not been cleaned in quite some time (not in a LONG time). Lots of dirty dishes and ants were all over the kitchen counters, the floors had not been swept, years worth of dead bugs were blocking the lights, the lovely large windows were very dirty, and the porch was extremely dusty). The carport through which we had to travel to "our" bathroom was full of junk, leaves, dirt and debris and the grass desperately needed to be cut.

We had access to only a half bath inside with a toilet and sink. There was a toilet and shower but no sink (hand sanitizer instead) across the carport. The shower bottom was clean but rusty. Didn't think I'd mind going outside to the shower (nice robes were provided) until I had to go through the dust and stuff to get there and back. The room was a decent size and had a big closet, though the TV was small (12 in) but there was free wifi. The bed was clean but really uncomfortable and we did not sleep well on the old mattress. There is a phone book holding up the middle leg of the bed frame. It's time to get a new bed for the Ka Mahina Room (room against the carport - and everyone comes and goes right by your open window). I think the other room may have been better -- at least it has the better full bathroom which is right next to it, a bigger TV and faces the street. There is no "living room" area for guests to use other than the bedroom. The refrig and micro out in the carport that were for the use of the guests were old, rusty and dusty. I had to wipe them out before using them.

Despite these problems, this is probably the better of the two B & B choices. The rate is really reasonable, the breakfasts are very good, and the host is knowledgeable about the beautiful island!

Room Tip: Na Hoku Room is better - king bed, larger room and larger TV …but most importantly, indoor full bath...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

All of the previous reviews do an exceptional job of describing what we experienced staying at Tom and Karyl's B&B. Sorry we didn't get the opportunity to meet Karyl (on the mainland visiting family), but Tom was amazing! He shared his knowledge of the island, which helped us during our sightseeing and beach searches. The filling, fresh breakfasts were excellent! I took a photo of them every morning! The morning we went on the mule trip to Kaulapapa, we had to get up early, but not a problem, Tom was more than happy to accomodate our schedule. So lovely to start the day on the porch with the view and great breakfast. Our bed and room was very comfortable. The bathroom was located right next to our room. They do own a quiet, friendly cat, which I mention only for those who may be allergic. Our three nights at Tom and Karyl's B&B were pleasant and relaxing. Molokai is the ultimate island for sun, surf, and getting away from the crowds. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: Back bedroom is a little cooler than the front one.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Beautiful home with outstanding views of the ocean and sunsets. The home is well maintained and very clean. The owners make sure you are very comfortable and are warm and welcoming. Breakfast is included in the very reasonable rate. The meal was absolutely unbelievably delightful. First course served was fresh fruit from local organic farmers served with edible flowers. They serve high end coffee with fresh clean water with lime (lime tree on property) and fresh mint from their garden. The second course differed each day. (we stayed 6 days) Her homemade recipes included malt Belgium waffles, oatmeal casserole, eggs and bacon, handmade scones and macadamian nut pancakes. The portions are so generous that we asked Karyl to wrap up leftovers and we nibbled on it throughout the day. They supplied robes, beach towels, soft bag coolers, clothes line to dry bathing suits, beach chairs. They have a library of books, maps and plenty of information. Rooms include cable TV and free wifi access. Tom and Karyl are very kind and I only wish we could stay forever. Real gem of a place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is a wonderful place to stay, no place like home away from home and that is just how Tom and Karyl made us feel. Waking every morning to delicious plates of fruit, great coffee and then the daily main course! Tom and Karyl have so much information about the island, hidden beaches to go and see, hikes to take, where to go to listen to music. Our beach journey was easy as we were given the extras to take, towels, chairs, grass mats and bag to keep food and drinks. Our room had gentle breezes blowing in thru the night, also dvd on Molokai and birds of the island. Thanks to the hospitality offered by Tom and Karyl our trip was filled with delight. Perfect.

Room Tip: Back room had the gentle breeze.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Molokai Komohana? Share your experiences!