“Needs lots of work” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Molokai

You added Hotel Molokai to your Saves list
Hotel Molokai
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   1300 Kamehameha V Highway, P.O. Box 1020, Kaunakakai, Molokai, HI 96748   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Kaunakakai B&B and Inns
MN
“Needs lots of work”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2006

We just returned from 6 days on Molokai, HI. For the first 4 days we stayed in a great B&B. Unfortunately, it was booked for the last two days of our visit so we moved over to Hotel Molokai. There were not a lot of choices of places to stay on the island. Although the hotel is out of town a couple of miles, it has a good central location on the island and is on the ocean. Another positive is the staff, which are lovely, as was everyone else we met in Molokai. Our room (131) was extremely hot, eventhough we ran the table fan round the clock and left the patio door open, in spite of the fact that we were on the ground floor and our patio door was secured with a small hook. When we opened the sliding patio door, it came off in our hands. The carpet was so dirty or stained, that we did not appreciate walking on it in bare feet. The door to the bathroom had lost a lot of its veneer and was severly warped from water damage. The room was very dark and dingy, wtih its only natural light coming through the patio door. The small patio was dark because of the large overhang from the deck of the room above. People were able to walk right in front of our patio, allowing us no privacy when the curtains (which were coming off their rod) were pulled back. At $135+ a night I would expect more.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Clovis, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2006

I had a wonderful time at Hotel Molokai last weekend. I absolutely loved the ocean front room I was in! I even felt safe enough to leave my slider open, screen closed of course, while I slept. Listening to the ocean lap on the sand was simply amazing. My bed was very comfortable.

From the views from my lanai, to the friendly, wonderful staff and the great food and entertainment at the Hula Shores, my stay was excellent.

And yes I did see some ants and gecko at the hotel. But I wasn't surprised at all! Molokai is a beautiful, widely undeveloped and unspoiled, tropical island, unlike the other islands of Hawaii, especially Oahu. Molokai is in the middle of nature at it's best. It is aboslutely peaceful and simple.

The Hotel Molokai doesn't pretend to be a 5 star resort and if that is what you are looking for, then maybe a trip to Molokai is not for you. Molokai is for nature; peace and quiet, maybe a long walk on deserted beach.

I went diving with Tim at Molokai Fish and Dive and truly loved every minute. I drove around the island and walked on deserted beaches. It was so peaceful.

When I return I will surely stay at Hotel Molokai again.

• Stayed May 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2006

The Hotel Molokai is a simple, peaceful lodge on a simple peaceful island. I have read reviews which spoke negatively of the hotel, but do not be mislead by those. I believe that the people who wrote them may be expecting a luxury resort. Molokai is a rustic, natural island, devoid of the development, traffic, tourism, and Burger Kings which have spoiled some of the other islands. There are no "luxury" resorts on Molokai, only bucolic tranquility and breathtaking scenery.

I shared a room with my girlfriend and we were pleased. It was small, but clean and large enough to accomodate us. The decor was outdated in our room, but our friends had a larger, nicer room. The bathroom was very large and clean. Bugs were minimal, cable TV was provided, and the bed was comfortable. I recommend renting a car to get around the island (make sure to visit PAPOHAKU BEACH...it's beautiful!)

If you are reading this review, please bear in mind that I am a 25 year old man, and this was my first trip to Hawaii. I don't lead a luxurious life on the mainland, and I am not easily annoyed. If you require brand new, upscale, luxury accomodations, Hotel Molokai is probably not for you. In fact, the island of Molokai is probably not for you. But, if you're a young, adventurous person, you can experience an amazing Hawaiian vacation, for a fraction of the cost of Maui or Oahu, at the Hotel Molokai.

Stayed February 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2006

So many of the bad reviews are mainly because people had a different idea of what they were coming to.

This is a lovely set up and location for very reasonable prices. I lived on Oahu for 2 years and our very nice house was single wall construction with roll out windows; this is the same basic construction.

The landscaping is very beautiful and I've yet to see a piece of trash anywhere.

Yes, there is a can of bug spray, but in tropical climates and single wall construction, you get bugs occasionally...we are surrounded by nature. I've been here a week of my five week stay and I've only had one baby slug in the bathroom.

Nothing is fancy here...it's very laid back and pretty clean overall. It's difficult to keep a place 'new' looking when it's on the beach and people are tramping in and out with wet/sandy clothes on. Some things can't be helped.

The pool is fantastic and you can watch the ocean and over to Lanai from the restaurant, bar, and pool. We were watching whales out there today.

The TAN rooms are all garden view rooms and all the rooms have a microwave, a refrigerator, and an oscillating fan. I brought a noise machine which keeps the outside noises down so I can sleep till I wake up.

The office help is very nice and the gift shop has a nice selection of ideas that are reasonably priced.

There is different musicians every evening and Friday's beginning at 4PM, a Hawaiian band plays till 6PM, then another band takes over. You have to have reservations for dinner because the place is packed. The locals come here to eat and sit at the bar, too.

I haven't dealt with the activity desk yet, so no report there, but they seem to keep busy. There are just a few things to do here on the island, so if you are a person who can't sit still - maybe not the place for you! The ferry goes over to Lahaina, Maui in the AM and brings you back in the PM for about $40 each. The boat ride is a treat, Lahaina has several blocks of neat shops and dining places.

I haven't used the washer/dryer yet, but they are outside by the outdoor guest restrooms. There are only about 40 rooms, and they are laid out in a unique pattern.

There is a hammock by the ocean in case things get too hectic! :)

So, whether you are using a TimeShare week or you are paying $90-150 a night, it's a great place if you keep everything I've mentioned in mind.

• Stayed March 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2006

We made the mistake of booking our honeymoon on Molokai and was disappointed in many ways. If waking every morning to over-populated roosters cock a doodling and running free at 0500 wasn't a good start, the facility is worn down, moldy furniture, cockroaches, and a mice/rat broke into my food in the room. The music is terribly loud from the poolside at night, and it isn't just on Fri nights like the brochure said. Some of the dishes at the restaurant were tasty, but when I see a cockroach scram accross the floor, my appetite for anything is lost. We went here with TAN vacations, who really need to make some major changes to this vacation destination if anyone would ever return here again.

• Stayed September 2005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2006

My stay with my friend at this unique hotel on the laid-back Island of Moloka'i was one of the highpoints of my first trip to Hawaii. It was much preferable to the pace of the big cities and commercialism of the other islands. I loved the Polynesian-style huts, each with their own private balcony or lanai and lovely gardens all around. The open-air restaurant at oceanside had just the right atmosphere and wonderful and varied food selections at comparable prices. Live music in the authentic Hawaiian style was available for the enjoyment of the guests in the evenings during dinner hours. The rates for this special experience were certainly reasonable. It was lovely and quite a memorable experience - one I would love to have again sometime in the future.

• Stayed February 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2006

My friend and I just stayed two nights on two different weekends at the Hotel Molokai in Hawaii, and it was a wonderful experience. The accomodations may not have been the most modern, but more than made up for that in atmosphere, friendliness, and helpfulness of the staff. The food was excellent at the restaurant. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wishes to get away from the crowds on the more developed areas of Hawaii. A VERY enjoyable experience.

Been to Hotel Molokai? Share your experiences!