“Don't expect much!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Molokai

You added Hotel Molokai to your Saves list
Hotel Molokai
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   1300 Kamehameha V Highway, P.O. Box 1020, Kaunakakai, Molokai, HI 96748   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Kaunakakai B&B and Inns
Seattle
“Don't expect much!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2008

This hotel is in the middle of a remodel which I'm sure will help with many of the the negative reviews, however, we were still disapointed. We came to Hotel Molokai with our 2 kids (3yrs and 6mnths) with the hope of enjoying the pool and having a relaxing time. When we arrived, we were told our room was not ready, come back after 3:00, however, we were not able to check in until 5:00, not great with 2 kids in need of naps. The pool was too chilly for the kids and the music is very loud in the evening lasting until 10:30. Overall, if you have kids this may not be the place for you. A few good thing were the food and service at the bar/resturauant and the larger kitchen rooms are pretty nice.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2007

I booked this hotel through our vacation club (TAN vacations). I have never been more disappointed.

Molokai is a small island with NOTHING to do. So, as our luck would bring, our hotel was the "hot spot" to hang out at on thursday, fri, and saturday nights! It was one of 3-4 bars on the ENTIRE island. So along with that came LOUD NOISE. No matter what room you stay in, you could hear it like it was right outside your door. The reason being is that there is NO AIR CONDITION and the room is ventilated with big screens to let air pass through.

Mosquitos are going to be your night time teddy bear as they bite and fly in and out of your ear waking you up.

My husband and I made friends with a cockroach every night and early morning as it roamed around freely.

The "beach front" is useless as far as swimming. View is beautiful, beach is not good for swimming.

The food at the hotel was average. The best that Molokai can offer being that it is what it is.

If relaxation is what you want out of this trip... STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — cockroach, mosquitos, loud music, construction
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2007

I stayed at the Hotel Molokai on a weekend trip with a friend from Oahu and had a good experience. The Hotel Molokai is down home and friendly. I loved the tiki decor and the staff was really nice. The breakfast was great and everyone was very helpful. If you are looking for a huge resort for a lot of $$ then keep looking - i liked the Hotel Molokai for what it was. It's not slick and fancy - it has its own charms and I hope it stays the way it is. Hanging out on the hammocks at night eating Moloka'i hot bread was the best :)

• Liked — the atmosphere, friendly staff, location, decor
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2005, traveled with friends
Brookhaven, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

Ok, so you want to go to Molokai but you've read all the negative reviews and now you don't know what to do. It's real simple, if your expecting a nice lodge then fork out the big bucks and go to Molokai Ranch or Kaluakoi Resort. If you are a seasoned traveler and relish experiencing local flavor, then Hotel Molokai will fit the bill. If you want to lay around a resort pool and lounge on their beach then forget about Hotel Molokai. Yes the water is muddy. This part of the Island is where the creeks run into the ocean so they will be that way. Not to worry, you should be here to explore so drive east and you will find amazing beaches and ancient fish ponds. Or travel over to Papohaku Beach and experience the real deal. By the way the best way to get to and from Molokai is by plane. Rent your car AT the airport. The ferry to or from Maui is a neat trip but the passage can be very rough and if so you should sit near the back of the ferry not in the cabin. You may get a little wet but it beats being sick. A GREAT site to get info on the whole island is the Molokai link on hawaiiweb.com. On Thursday night PLEASE GO to Kualapuu Cookhouse. If you drink grab a good bottle or two of wine in Kaunakakai (plan on sharing) and get ready for a great dinner. The owners, staff and locals are too kind and they Can Cook!!!!!! It is nothing fancy just good food and the greatest people. FYI if you want to really get off the tourist trail and see the remote side of Molokai then drive east till the road ends. You will dead end at Halawa Beach Park. If you want to hike to the falls you must get a local guide. A 12 pack of Miller Lite left on the hood of your car will be a nice gift and no one will bother it. Great hike to the falls but not for anyone who can not hike 5 tough miles. PS I gave the hotel a 5 star rating to compensate for the naive negatives.

• Liked — Location and Price
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

OK, we were leary after reading so many negative reviews. Me, my sister and my daughter traveled to Molokai from Maui on the Ferry. The open air hut was neat, we had a large upstairs unit, we only saw bugs on the last day (Earl said they had just sprayed). Molokai is very spread out and it seems liked I drove around a lot looking for things but the VERY BEST part was the people. The locals and other travelers hang out at the bar in the evening. There is entertainment every night. The bar closes at 10:30. We met so many wonderful people. The people who worked at Hotel Molokai and the locals from Molokai, (hi Uncle Miltton !) and the other travelers were wonderful (hi Deb from NY - was that your review I just read ?) Molokai is truly a wonderful experience and it is truly the Friendly island. This is a laid back place, it is NOT Maui or any of the other islands. It is a genuine community with it's own culture. If you go, meet the people, they are what the island is about.

• Liked — The people
  • Disliked — No airconditioning
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2007

Molokai is laid back, as though time were standing still. In this way, Hotel Molokai looks like Brady Brunch vacation in Hawaii in its aesthetic, which is charming in its own way.
The rooms are fine and the hotel management are very friendly. One of the best points is the live music which is offered every night at the bar/restaurant. The view and ambience here are lovely and worth visiting even if you are not staying at the hotel.

• Liked — The location of the bar, pool, and restaurant.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2007

Ok, so I fly in from Oahu (& the desk clerk at Hotel Molokai asked what time I was arriving to send the van.) It was around an hour late (on an island w/no traffic!) Whatever...I'm in a tropical paradise, so even just waiting in front of an airport for a ride isn't that bad. But I soon realized they just don't care.

Unlike Honolulu, you need to rent a car on an island like Molokai if you want to do anything (i.e visit the old leper colony.) The hotel rents cars too, but don't expect anything resembling customer service. For $50 a day you can drive an old beater (and I mean old.) Just finding the right car for the key the desk clerk gave me was a 45 minute ordeal. She said it was parked over by my room & after I tried the locks of just about every car parked around the hotel, she ended up driving me down the road where we located my "car" in her relatives front yard. There wasn't much tread on the balding tires. Of course the contract I signed made clear what fine I would have to pay if the gas tank wasn't returned on "Full." As if it had been anywhere near that when I got it...

So after adding several gallons to a car that drove maybe 20 miles total (and you think mainland gas prices are high?) I return the junkyard special to the hotel after my two day visit & ask for a ride to the airport (which is maybe three miles away.) Then the desk lady informs me I will have to pay for the shuttle. I proceed to tell her every car rental company offsite from an airport I've ever rented from in the world provides complimentary transpo to & from the airport. And she says something back like "Well, this is Molokai."

I start making a scene in front of the other guests checking in at her extortion attempt & tell her I'll just walk out to the road & hitchhike to the airport if I have to, then she decides to "waive" the extra fee. How nice after spending hundreds of dollars for the room & restaurant meals & car rental for her to do this. When dealing w/the staff be prepared for extra anxiety in the pit of your stomach. That's why you save up for an island vacation, right?

It was cool seeing the leper colony, although the bus tour quality of it has significantly dropped since the old guy got sick. The young driver/tourguide isn't very personable in comparison. What could have been a great experience of old Hawaii was tainted by bad attitudes of the current Molokai residents. If you're going to take my money, at least appreciate me maybe a little bit.

Stayed December 2006

Been to Hotel Molokai? Share your experiences!