“lovely & homey” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Wailuku B&B and Inns
Brooklyn NY
“lovely & homey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2006

The Old Wailuku Inn is a homey & quaint place to stay situated in a great part of Maui. The inn has firm and comfortable beds, and a nice breezy common room that's stocked with drinks, teas, and snacks. Janice (the owner) is super helpful and nice.
The inn is located in a great historic town, way better than the touristy and depressing Lahaina. If you love local food, you'll find amazing restaurants nearby and make sure you pick up a bento box to eat on your flight home at Ichiban Okazuya, which is a block away.

• Stayed April 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2006

Excellent! Recently I had to visit Maui for a friends wedding. I made my arrangements for travel and accomodations at the last minute. After using trip advisor to locate accomodations in the area of the Iao Valley I had the good fortune to stay with Tom and Janice the proprietors at The Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono.

I arrived late at night and found my way from the airport to the inn with great ease thanks to the impeccable directions provided. My room was perfect. Clean, welcoming and tastefully furnished.

After opening the windows in the room a warm gentle breeze blew in the scent of island flora the garden.

It was now time to shower after the long flight. Showering Nirvana! Count them, six shower heads in the overly spacious shower. The towels were plentiful, clean and most of all very soft. Soap, shampoo, bath gel and bathing salt and a hair dryer were also provided.

Exhausted from traveling and now relaxed from the shower it was time to hit the pillows for some well deserved sleep. The bed was very comforatable. It was like a giant pillow that craddled me to sleep. I slept like a baby as the warm island breezes passed gently through the room.

Breakfast was another great surprise. I was greeted by the aroma of fresh brewed coffee and hot meals being prepared.

As I arrived for breakfast at the main house other guests were out on the elevated porch overlooking the garden as well as in the great room that sits in the center of the other guest rooms. Both the porch and great room are nice places to sit and have coffee, read or visit with other guests.

Breakfast is served just off the great room in a separate room that is well lit by the moring sun. Two large tables with settings for all the guest are prepared. Guests are welcome to sit where ever they like. Breakfast is served promptly at 8:00 am.
and it was delicious. Tom and Janice are well prepared to offer you a nice morning meal. Before you arrive at the Inn you are sent an email asking if there are any foods you do not like or cannot eat. Tom and Janice will try to provide you with a healthy and delicious alternative. There is a daily breakfast menu prepared in your room so you can see what the following days breakfast will be.

Once the meals are served Tom and Janice both make time to visit with each of their guests. They show genuine care when offering suggestions and directions on how to best visit Maui's sites. Be sure to also ask other guests what they did on the prior day. That is great way to learn more about sites to visit.

Breakfast seems to be the best time to share stories about your adventures.

Before you leave for the day Tom and Janice offer beach towels, beach mats, cold drinks, coolers, light snacks, sandals and directions for your days sightseeing trip.

If you decide to visit Hana ask about the narrative CD you can play in your car while driving to Hana. The CD is a funny and offers information and music from two island characters. While it is a little campy the CD is well worth having with you on the drive. It points out items that you might just drive. I am really glad I took it with me.

Hana is about 3 hours away and the road has hundreds of tight curves and places where the road drops down to a single lane for both directions. Although it seems that everyone is very respectful of each other and if you show the same courtesy the drive will be very enjoyable.

If you have the good fortune to stay at the Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono you will experience the true Spirit of Aloha. I felt like I was staying with ohana (family)

Make sure and tell Janice and Tom that Paul from Las Vegas sends his best regards and he looks forward to thier visit to Las Vegas.

Mahalo Tom and Janice I am so glad that I found The Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono. I hope to return to stay with you again very soon

Paul Ortiz
Las Vegas, NV

• Stayed March 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2006

They serve a gourmet breakfast. Janice's waffle is out of this world, the best I've ever had, crispy outside, melt in my mouth inside. During Christmas, they will put out a marvelous Christmas Santa collection.

The Inn is very well kept. The room we stayed in was very comfortable. The decor is very tasteful. Excellent amenities. You can get gourmet tea, coffee, and snacks any time of the day. The bed in particular, was very very comforatble. Ask Janice what was her secret.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2006

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The location allowed for easy access to many parts of the island. The inn was quiet. Our room was tastefully furnished. Highlights included the most comfortable bed we've slept in (including our own at home) and a nice-size shower with multiple nozzles. Even though we missed breakast because of our early excursions, proprietor Janice Fairbanks brought granola and fruit to our room the night before. We definitely plan to stay there on our next trip.

Chesapeake
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2006

Spent two nights here near the end of our stay. Well situated in the quiet county seat of Maui near the Iao Valley, this is a nice centrally located inn to explore Maui. We had the small Lehua room, a cozy place with its own private patio and a spacious bathroom. A tasty breakfast is served family style upstairs in the main building at 8 am sharp. Our stay was short but pleasant.

• Stayed December 2005
Gainesville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2005

The Old Wailuku Inn and Maui were the third in the list of four islands during our recent three week Hawaiian odyssey. Our room was beautifully decorated and it felt like we were in an old Hawaiian plantation. The gourmet breakfast each morning was delicious and chatting with Janice was so helpful in planning our day. Providing soda, snacks, beach towels and coolers are only a few of the ways the hosts attend to the needs of travellers. I have stayed in many B&Bs and this one is one of the very best. Mahalo, Janice!

• Stayed November 2005
Peachtree City, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2005

We arrived late at night in a pouring rain. When we finally passed all the locks to enter our room, I was so happy. The room was flawlessly decorated and spotless. We had a quiet night's sleep, awaking early to the smells of our breakfast cooking and the many birds calling outside our private lanai. Breakfast our first morning there was wonderful (mushroom spinach quiche and papaya fruit cups, with fresh, hot Portugese donuts), though I was sort of disappointed in the waffles the next morning. We saw very little of our hosts, but did spend some quality time with other guests, sitting on the front porch awaiting breakfast. Our room was in the back, away from the noisy street in front (the Hibiscus Room). I would definitely stay there again. It was my first ever Bed and Breakfast.

Stayed October 2005

Been to Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono? Share your experiences!