“Great, affordable food and wonderful service” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 75 restaurants in Wailuku
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Bozeman, Montana
“Great, affordable food and wonderful service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband and two children and I went for dinner. I was a bit skeptical and made my hubby go in to make sure it was "family oriented". He checked it out & gave it the thumbs up and am glad he did. We had a great meal with wine and appetizer for under $50. Our children loved the kid's menu and there were quite a number of healthy options which is sometimes difficult to find when traveling. The staff was very helpful and tolerant of our toddlers.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

88% Recommend
Denver, Colorado
“AK's Cafe is a Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

AKs has a wide variety of fresh foods cooked to order. Pupus and main course items included local, Asian, Italian and Filipino dishes as well as burgers, sandwiches, soups and salads (you can even get a half order of salad for half price!) My husband and I went to A.K.'s on the recommendation of a friend who has eaten there many times. Despite being tempted by all the yummy options on the menu, we both ordered from the healthy eating lineup at the bottom of the menu: mahi mahi, ono, chicken or turkey with Hawaiian sweet potato or brown rice and your choice of steamed veggies or green salad all for $7.25! The meat and fish we ordered was perfectly prepared and seasoned. The sides were beautiful and tasty (unlike the healthy options at most restaurants). We have been trying to eat more healthfully, and this is a huge challenge on vacation. We were thrilled to find AK's Cafe and plan to eat there often. The owners (who were also the chef and waiter) were amazingly warm and helpful. This place is a gem! Open only for lunch and dinner Monday thru Friday (11 am to 1:30 / 5 to 8:30 pm) the cafe is in a small plain building with the only sign as a small bright yellow "street sign" by the curb that reads "A.K.'s Cafe." Make sure to bring the address with you or you might drive by a few times. Don't let that prevent you from trying it. This place is wonderful!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Used to be good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

This place used to be delicious when Elaine owned it. Now it is absolutely terrible. Seriously, the sauteed mushrooms used to have us licking the bowl but this time were completely lacking in flavor. My husbands pot roast (which was wayyy overpriced) was still cold in the center, as if it had just been heated in a microwave or something. My crab cakes were still good but the portions of sides left me hungry. All I know is we spent a good amount of money on a mediocre meal at best. The second we walked out the door we both looked at eachother and agreed that would be the last time we go there! Bummer because it used to be so good! :-(

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Andover, Massachusetts
“Wonderful affordable restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My experience at A.K.'s Cafe was absolutely wonderful. My family tried it while in Wailuku for lunch one day and we liked it so much we went back the very next day. The food is amazing. I recommend the crab cakes and the banana loompia for dessert (but the fried chicken and the burgers are also great.) Nancy- the owner- is probably the nicest and most accommodating person you will ever meet. I would eat at A.K.'s cafe multiple times a week if I lived in Wailuku- the food is phenomenal and the prices are very affordable. Go to A.K.'s Cafe- you will not be disappointed.

Visited March 2013
Brooklyn, New York
“A Return Visit to AK s Cafe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We visited AK S cafe again after not being there for a year.
On our return visit we found it has been sold to a new owner, a charming lady named Nancy.
The food is as good as it was last year. The CrabCakes are still homemade & wonderful.
The daily special was Mahi which was very good.
The new owner was a cook at the Four Seasons and is a master in the kitchen.

• Visited February 2013