“Best of the so-so Japanese restaurants” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
Honolulu
“Best of the so-so Japanese restaurants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Under a lower standard than Honolulu, I guess if I had to choose, this would be the best of so-so Japanese restaurants in the Wailuku and Kahului area. I can say the service is generally pretty good and the food comes out prompt. Portions are generous (they give you your own rice pot and your own tea kettle). Its better than my recent experience at Archie's, hence the 4 stars.

Visited August 2013

Santa Cruz, California
“Bento”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I had the Bento Combination with tempura shrimp & vegetables,sashime,teriyaki beef. It came with miso soup. The food quality is fresh & servers friendly.I can't wait to go back again.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Maui, Hawaii
“Terrible Service!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

We went to this place, arrived at 5:00pm, we're the first customer. The food is good, the service is terrible- we ordered the full meal that suppose to come with hot tea but we did not get our tea. I ordered red wine and they put ice on it!! Huh!!???!... I did not drink it at all- what a waste of money!!!! The place has a bad smell. I would never come back here again!

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Wailuku, Hawaii, United States
“Best Japanese food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

All of the food here is awesome but I love the SHRIMP!!! It is a little oily but the taste as locals say broke da mouth. I like the teshoku plate that come with three dishes, I usually get the one with shrimp teriaki beef and sashimi. We go her so often they know us by name and where we prefer to be seated.

Visited April 2013
Maui, Hawaii
“boys night out...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Went to Tokyo Tei, just down the street abit from where I live to have a dinner w/my Japanese neighbor, who is a long time regular there, and another friend. As most of the other reviewers here have stated this place is very down home, very local and pretty good. We all 3 had the Teishoku Trays, which come with very good miso soup, Koko (salted cabbage) and of course the ubiquitous white rice. My two friends both opted for the B tray w/Toyko Teis beloved teriyaki steak (cooked how you like it), Shrimp/Vegetable Tempura and the sashimi that they all come with..15$ I went for the D tray with pork tofu (way more tofu than pork), fried fish w/lime wedges, and the sashimi (was 3 or 4 slices of very fine quality, very fresh ahi sashimi)..14.50$. These 'trays' are a popular order, but they also have a very extensive ala carte menu. Had a beer (they'll ask you if you want it w/a bucket of ice which is very local style). All in all it was a good dinner. Was slow when we got there, right at 6 on a Tuesday, but by the time we left the dining room was full and they were seating others in the back dining room...so they get the business...it's not to hard to find, at least the address, but it is 'hidden' by the ample parking in front of it. If you like off the beaten path places with a huge slice of local life, this is the place, and Home Maid Bakery, famous for their manju amongst other goodies is right next door...

• Visited February 2013