“Should be Maui TEI” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Wailuku
“Should be Maui TEI”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

Food was ok. But VERY localized. It no longer tasted Japanese. I had the Teishoku B: Teriyaki Steak, Shrimp, Tempura Sashimi. I'm just sorry to say I was not impresses. I could have gotten this at one of the food courts around town for cheaper also. Service was very good, otherwise.

• Visited October 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Honolulu, Hawaii
“Places like this are a dying breed...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

This is a hometown favorite. And, I agree with the few reviewers who criticized Tokyo Tei for not being an authentic Japanese restaurant as it's actually a LOCAL institution and has generations of faithful customers, myself included. It's not fancy. It's not particularly easy to find. Parking can be an issue. And, when it's busy, there is a bit of a wait. The servers and staff , can at times, be seen an not overly accommodating, but I can assure you they are very nice once you get to know them. There are two dining rooms; the main dining area and a back room, that can accommodate small groups or a large family. You can order family-style or Teishoku-style bento box meals. Some yummy family favorites of mine, include: misoyaki butterfish, Hakata chicken, and teriyaki steak. My teishoku of choice is "B" which includes the teri steak, shrimp and veggie tempura, as well as sashimi. And, you know, I can respect those who shared their opinions regarding the overdone steak, stringy sashimi cuts, and oily/greasy tempura. In fact, I agree to a certain extent. However, that's not really why we come here. We come here because it's familiar, it's comforting, and evokes fond memories. Places like this are a dying breed.

• Visited July 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Haiku, Maui
“Teishoku good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

I will start by saying that I have been eating here since small keiki days, so my opinion is sincerely biased due to the nostalgia factor. With that fact out of the way, i can honestly say that the food is really not that good, standard local-Japanese, lotsa very greasy, fried and salted options... inconsistent sashimi cuts.... so it's probably one of those places that feels good if you grew up eating here, but not so much if you are looking for a great new place to try dinner.
I also used to love liverwurst sandwiches on Wonder Bread growing up, but have seemed to outgrow that.... three stars, nevertheless.

Visited October 2011
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Reminds me of my childhood - too much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

Reminds me of my childhood - too much

Hawai'i
“The best Japanese food in Maui”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2007

Atmosphere: Old, sort of unkept.

Service: Good.

Food: Teishoku "B" is the best! Teri steak, shrimp & veggie tempura, sashimi. Chicken hekka is awesome (on the sweet side). Tonkatsu is very good. Miso soup is good!