“great birthday dinner” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ma'alaea Small Boat Harbor
Transit: Buzz's Wharf Restaurant is just a 1 minute walk from the Ma'alaea Harbor Village bus stop. Buses from all over Maui (Wailuku, Lahaina and Kihei) stop at Ma'alaea Harbor every hour.
Description: Established in 1967 In 1967, Jerry & Eileen Macdonald opened Buzz's Wharf Restaurant in the Ma'alaea Small Boat Harbor, where it still stands today. They shared 30 successful years in the restaurant business on Maui and Honolulu. In 1993, the Macdonald's retired and the next generation took over. The American Cuisine with an Island flavor continues on. Mrs. Macdonald's French Tahitian roots contributed to many of the unique menu items. Their signatures dish the " Prawns Tahitian" being the most popular.Buzz's Wharf Restaurant recently celebrated 45 years of operation, and is one of Maui's Long Standing restaurants. As a landmark in Ma'alaea Bay Harbor, Buzz's continues, year after year, to greet and extend their ho'okipa (hospitality) to both newcomers and their loyal local and visitor clientele. Our ocean front dining room offers panoramic views of the harbor, Mt. Haleakala and the southern coastline of Maui which only serve to enhance your dining experience.
Maui
“great birthday dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We just had a wonderful birthday dinner there. The service was great (thanks Dustin), food was served quickly and was hot and delicious, and we enjoyed the Hawaiian music and the view. Our party all enjoyed the teriyaki steak, prawns, misoyaki walu, prime rib, and mahi mahi. Sadly, our choices of pupus (clams and ahi poke) were not available. Instead, we enjoyed the calamari. It was nice to be offered an individual salad for $4. Drinks are too pricy and we skipped desert. We used the 15% off coupon from the website. We'll be back.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Tucson
“Find a coupon!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Buzz's was within walking distance of our Ma'alaea condo, so we gave it a try. My husband had their specialty of prawns, and I had teriyaki chicken. (I had orginally ordered the "Poulet Fafa," a stew of chicken, coconut milk, sweet potatoes and rice, but after the order was in, the waitress came back and said, "The chef is not happy with the way this dish came out tonight, so he's taking it off the menu." Maybe I am just a suspicious person, but I had never heard anything like that before, so instead of thinking they had a passionate and careful chef, my personal feeling was something else was going on. It struck me as weird the way she said it.) The prawns were overcooked; the chicken was fine but nothing special. The mai tais were decent. Our dessert was a sampler of brownie with ice cream, mini mango brulee, and mini macadamia nut pie. We should have just ordered the pie; it was good but the other two offerings only fair. There was a LARGE tour group which had probably arrived half an hour before we did. Maybe that's why the waitress seemed overtired and not very friendly. I rated this as average because even with Maui prices, when paying the rather princely sum we did, I expected better food. My husband liked Buzz's more than I did. And yes, there are coupons in the flyers like Maui Gold and Maui Weekly which we did not see until later. If you are going to try Buzz's Wharf, find a coupon!

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Morristown, New Jersey
“Tahitian Prawns and Local Beer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

When vacationing in Maui we usually have at least one lunch at Buzz’s Wharf. We enjoy eating the Tahitian Prawns while seated up at the bar having a local beer. Maybe it’s because I’m getting older, but I have to agree with the previous contributor that the prawns don’t seem as large as they use to be and not getting any cheaper. We still liked Buzz’s for the atmosphere and the Tahitian Prawns did taste good.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We were told we had to go here and try the prawns, so we went during happy hour hoping it would be less expensive. We still paid $25 for 5 shrimp. They weren't really big enough to call prawns. They tasted okay, but they weren't worth the price. The restaurant has a nice marina view and has a pleasant nautical environment inside, but the food is overpriced.

For more details including pictures, check out my food blog at www.eatdrinkandbeme.com.

Visited May 2013
Fulton, Texas
“Catch the Buzz at Buzz's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Had lunch here yesterday and it was wonderful !!! Janice was our friendly and capable server. We were in no hurry so started with Mai Tais,then on toHood Canal clams in butter garlic with fresh baked bread. So delicious!! Then I had their signature butter baked shrimp with stir fry veggies and brown rice. It was perfection. My husband opted for the teriyaki steak with stir fry and white rice. We couldn't decide which entree was better! For dessert we chose the " sliders".. One was macadamia nut/white chocolate cookies filled with coconut ice cream with a caramel drizzle. Second one was double fudge brownie with vanilla bean ice cream and hot fudge drizzle. Even though we were stuffed, we had to have guava martinis to end our fabulous meal. It wasn't cheap, coming in at $126 but it was worth every penny and we plan to go back for dinner one night.

• 5 of 5 stars Food