“Great Place to Stay in Wailuku” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wailuku Guesthouse

You added Wailuku Guesthouse to your Saves list
Wailuku Guesthouse
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   210 South Market Street, Wailuku, Maui, HI 96793   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Wailuku B&B and Inns
Kalamazoo
“Great Place to Stay in Wailuku”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Wailuku Guesthouse is a great place and Maureen the Owner is very accomodating. I was in Wailuku on business and this place was within walking distance of all my meetings, etc. The Wasabi Room was like an efficiency apartment. Not a resort, but a great place to stay if you are on a modest budget.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed four nights in the Plantation Room of the Wailuku Guesthouse. For our needs and expectations, it was perfect. My wife was raised in the area and we come back for family business three or four times a year. We normally stay at the family house in Kahului, but as that was full, we needed other accommodations.

We were were looking for a clean, quiet room with a comfortable bed and suitable bathroom. We're not interested in the beach or sightseeing. We don't need a refrigerator, microwave, or TV. We prefer sleeping with the windows open over using an air conditioner. Wailuku Guesthouse was perfect for our needs. Maureen was very accommodating to our requests.

This is not the place to stay if you want the features that a resort has to offer. But if you are just looking for base from which to explore and enjoy Maui, i highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

the guesthouse was located in old Wailuku town and was just a walk away from little bistro's and local owned shops... was a perfect location between kihei and Lahaina beaches... The rooms cozy and quaint.. with a nice salt water pool on those hot days... I appreciated the host Maureen and her amazing bread made with fruit from her yard... if our looking for a small private economical room at a reasonable price the Wailuku house is the place to be

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

It is very hard to understand how this accommodation has obtained such good reviews on Trip Advisor. Yes, there are some plus points if you need beach towels, chairs or cool boxes, but the room allocated was cramped with small windows and no outlook to recommend. There was a small swimming pool, ok if you had nothing better to do, a smallish garden with a BBQ area and some caged parrots. Beautiful birds, but why keep then caged in such an enclosed space. There was a dog on the premises, never saw it but heard it often. The stairway to the room had an unpleasant smell, not sure if it was the dog. Moreover, the owner, Maureen, was away for the three days that we were there, during which time the room was not once serviced. We were travelling extensively around the Hawaiian islands and for the price, this was by far the worst place we stayed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Wailuku_Guesthouse, Owner at Wailuku Guesthouse, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Aloha,

First I'll address that I was away. My mother was nearly killed in a car accident in the Northern Illinois area and at 79 years old that was a very difficult time. Although Kim my maid, serviced your room on the second day with fresh towels and emptied your trash, checked on your coffee and such. We change the towels every other day as there are 2 hanging and 2 more under the sink. Beach towels are as often as you need. The stairway is old wood, the walls of the stairway were just recently painted. The pet dog has never been in any of the guestrooms or that stairway. Too many people have allergies. Our 40ft saltwater pool with waterfalls is quite a large pool certainly not small. That is out in our common area that also has 3 nice dining tables under beautifully made cabanas. Rain or shine you can stay dry and enjoy the view of the West Maui Mtns. There are also nice lounging chairs for an afternoon nap if you want. Some folks like to unwind and have a dip in the saltwater pool. We have lush gardens that include torch ginger, pink ginger, several types of Heliconia, banana trees, mango trees and lillikoi(passion fruit), Puakinikini, Plumeria, Aloe, Papaya and many many Ti plants. The aviary is large with well behaved macaws. They are my pets and they only know that aviary. It is hexagonal in shape with wire we brought in from England, it has the same pitch as our roof with copper flashing, and has all natural ironwood perches that we change all the time to give their feet and talons a different shape to feel. They talk nice and are pleasant. We are not in the country where they might be able to be trained to live in the wild but I don't know if they could. They come out daily when I feed them and clean out their aviary with the hose. I handle them and they are well fed and cared for. I'm glad you enjoyed your new pillow top mattress in the Plantation room. It has 2 windows that open wide one of which looks at Mt Haleakala and the other to the SW and a West Maui Mtn and neighborhood view. The rooms are not huge but in my 13 years at my Wailuku Guesthouse only a few people had negative things to say about the rooms. They are clean, have refrigerators, microwaves and coffee makers, the Plantation room has a private bath with tub and shower. We are centrally located in old Wailuku Town which does take you out of the tourist traps and are only a few minutes drive to Maalaea Bay, Haycraft Beach and Sugar Beach to name a few with in 5-6 miles. Old Wailuku Town is walking distance from the Guesthouse where you will find a handful of great eateries and one of the best baristas on the island at the Old Wailuku Coffee Company.

With Aloha,
Maureen
The Wailuku Guesthouse
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My time in the Wailuku Guesthouse Plantation Room was lovely. It was quiet, very clean and peaceful. I have family in Wailuku so it's a perfect location for me but it's also a quick drive to beautiful beaches and other Maui delights. It's nice to stay in a real town, as opposed to a exclusively resort-based experience. Maureen is delightful and I was thrilled by her incredible fruit bread. I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: I loved the plantation room and the traditional Hawaiian quilt on the bed. This room was very quiet...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Wailuku_Guesthouse, Owner at Wailuku Guesthouse, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Aloha,
I'm glad you enjoyed the Plantation room with its' new pillow top mattress. Hope it gave you a good nights sleep so you could spend plenty of time with your new grandson. Today I have apple bananas, lilikoi (passionfruit) and macadamia nuts of which I will be making some bread this afternoon. I use whatever I happen to have fresh that day. Our son was also very very happy with the donation that he added to his charity fund for Assistance Dogs of Hawaii. Formerly, Hawaii Canines for Independence. You will be receiving a mahalo letter from him next summer after he makes his annual donation. Hope you come back and stay with us this winter and leave wet foggy SF behind for a nice dose of natural vitamin D. Give me a call and you'll be eligible for the frequent guest discount of 10% off our website rack rates. Have a great day.

With aloha,
Maureen
owner
The Wailuku Guesthouse
Schenectady, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This was the best place i could have chosen to call home for my two week vacation to Hawaii. The location was perfect not too close to all the noise and traffic but close enough to not have a hassle of a time going anywhere for fun. The pool was nice and refreshing and the grill was great to have available to be able to have some home cooked meal and fun outside poolside. I would recommend to anyone who doesn't like crowds like me or wants to feel comfortable on a vacation to call and set up a reservation at the guesthouse so much nicer and personal and homey. They also provide towels for the shower and beach, beach chairs, coolers, and beach stuff to use to have fun at the beach how much better does that get and a money saver and suitcase saver. So book today no matter how big your party because the rooms can be joined or enjoined for bigger groups and families.

Room Tip: Call the online number yourself to book don't go through an agency and you can discuss options w...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I love this place and would stay again but... I think the website should be more upfront on the pet issues. I love dogs and they are clearly kept out of the guest area, no problem. I actually would have liked to interact with them more. Unfortunately I am not a bird lover. Sorry, Maureen. There are 2 giant birds (a macaw and a parrot) and they would frequently make these noises that would scare the bejeesus out of me. Sounded like a woman being murdered. Then I remembered they were birds and I was OK but it took some getting used to. So that part was not relaxing. Having come from a stressful family reunion on O'ahu, the birds did not help me to relax. Knowing beforehand would have been a great help, especially about the unexpected noises. If I'd stayed longer, I'm sure I would have got used to it.

That said, everything else was FANTASTIC! Maureen was very accomodating, even providing beach gear and baking us some lovely treats. This is probably one of the cleanest places I have ever stayed and I am including 5 star hotels in that group. Our room was small and cozy. No closet but we made it work. I forgot the name of the room but it faces the pool. I think it was the Hibiscus Room. The pool area was plenty big enough to share with other guests without feeling we were intruding. Not big enough for laps though. Minimum lap pool is across the street but couldn't get the hours figured out.

Maureen gave us great recommendations for places to eat in the area. Very nice coffee shop within a few blocks walk but their food selection was pretty limited. Great Japanese takeout place within walking too. Must visit is the Swap Meet. 5 minute drive and some of the best local foods and creative local crafts. NOT like Aloha Swap Meet at all. Fresh sugar cane lemonade! See my other review of the popsicles. (Found out when I got back to the Bay Area that my parent's next door neighbors are good friends of the popsicle people. Small world.) We were missing the local food so mostly went to Takamiya Market & Foodland to pick up takeout and snacks. After one visit to Takamiya, we knew all the local gossip without even asking. I love Hawaii!

Please don't forget to check out Habitat for Humanity in the Wailuku area. They had builds on Tuesdays & Saturdays (may change). Anyone can volunteer, even for a half day and you do not need to bring tools. Land is so expensive here, it is one of the few places Habitat builds condos instead of houses. They were just clearing land in Feb 2013 for one you can walk to from here.

If I could go regularly, I might try to keep Wailuku Guest House more of a secret for myself. It truly is a little gem. We stayed at Ho'Olio House afterwards and while that B&B is very beautiful & luxe ($300+ night), the hospitality was not. Maureen is "good people" and I would happily stay at Wailuku Guest House anytime. Even with the birds. ; )

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Wailuku Guesthouse? Share your experiences!