I stayed here for a week in September 2012, and it was my very first hostel experience. I slept in a private room, and while it was small, it was nice and clean (the shared bathrooms/showers and the kitchen were not as clean as the bedroom, unfortunately.) We didn't have a problem going to sleep even though our bedroom window faced the common area, as the hostel staff have a strict "keep quiet" rule after 10 pm, which most people seemed to follow. The staff was really friendly, and it was a lot of fun to hang out with them and the other people at the hostel during the evenings. The free tours are awesome (with great tour guides!) and they were the main reason why we chose to stay at this hostel. Just make sure you sign up early the day before the tour, as they fill up pretty quickly.
The location is not very good, it's far from the beach and there's not a lot to do and see in Wailuku. If you rent a car or go on the tours, the location won't a big problem though.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hostel caters to backpackers, travelers and surfers wanting to get the best out of Maui,and the best value for their money. Your stay comes with a friendly atmosphere, camaraderie, and friendships that last a lifetime. We offer more free amenities than any other hostel in Hawaii, probably the world. We offer FREE TOURS of MAUI EVERY DAY!: 12-Mile Haleakala Volcano Hike, The Road to Hana, Iao Valley Rainforest Hike, Whale Watching (seasonal), Snorkel with Turtles, Historic Lahaina and Paia Towns, Beaches, Beaches, Beaches!Large Tropical Garden with 7-Person Jacuzzi, Large Shared Kitchen, Free Wi-Fi, Free Internet Computer, Free pancake breakfast, Free keg parties every Friday night! "BACKPACKERS SHOULD HEAD TO BANANA BUNGALOW" - Frommer's 2011, "LIVELY AND COSMOPOLITAN HOSTEL" - Fodor's 2011. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banana Bungalow Maui Hotel Wailuku
- Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel Wailuku