“Great tours, great staff, bad location” 4 of 5 stars

You added Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel to your Saves list
Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel
310 North Market Street, Wailuku, Maui, HI 96793   |
Vancouver, Canada
“Great tours, great staff, bad location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I spent 9 days at Banana Bungalow.

I had an incident in my room and staff was prompt to solve my problem, offered me a private room for a couple days and were very friendly.

Rooms are small (2 bunk beds), and ok for cleanness and comfort. Problem is the noise outside (both street and from people partying). I only had a good night sleep when I had my iPod running. You should ask for a quieter room, so you won't face the street or the common area.

Bathrooms were not bad. There are a few private bathrooms available, shower was ok, pretty clean considering is a hostel at an island (no sand).

Location is not good, minimum 50 minutes by bus to go to a nice beach. But if you're doing the tours, as I did, location is not a problem. There is a market close by and bus stop as well.

The tours are awesome, and are a great way to meet people.

Room Tip: You should ask for a quieter room, so you won't face the street or the common area.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

The Banana Bungalow is one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in. It is clean, the staff and people who stay there are extremely friendly, and the price to stay is really inexpensive. They offer a free pancake breakfast in the morning and free tours during the day (they just ask that you tip your tour guide, which is so worth it because the tour guides are awesome!). They even have free keg parties on Fridays! You can't beat staying here! It will be the best experience on any island in Hawaii. We didn't want to leave at the end of our vacation because it felt like we were leaving our family.

I also stayed at the Banana Bungalow six years ago with some friends. We wanted to try out another hostel on the island as well that was a little closer to the beach and we completely regretted it. The staff at the other hostel were so high and stupid (they lost our reservation) that we agreed to stay the one night because it was late when we checked in, but the next day we immediately went back to the Bungalow. The Bungalow is THE place to be. Trust me, the Bungalow is the best on the island!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I've stayed at a lot of hostels and can say that the Banana Bungalow is a good one. The staff are friendly and the managers are super accommodating an really care about the place. the place is clean and they don't let bedding from outside which helps prevent bed bugs.

The value for money can't be beat. The free tours take guests all over the island and the guides are super knowledgeable, offering up tons of travel tips.

Free pancake mix for breakfast and a full service kitchen and barbecue make cooking fun and easy.

The common areas ensure a friendly place to hang out and meet new friends, play pool and ... Drink. Lots of drinking in the evening.

There are few downsides. I have to say the beds were not the best and rooms are pretty cramped. also the mixed gender shower situation is not ideal.

If you are laid back and looking to meet new people, get to know the island, socialize and drink on occasion, this is the hostel for you. That being said, quiet couples looking for a romantic get away may not be as comfortable with the party vibe.

Awesome hostel and I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We have been traveling the island for couple weeks.Having stayed at a few of the other Hostels on the island we expected the same when we arrived at Banana Bungalow. What a refreshing surprise. Our room was clean,organized and had everything we needed. It didnt have that in your face management we found at the other Hostels , but when we needed litterally anything they were immediately accommodating.. Most important thing to us was to have peace,quite and a good nights sleep. I wanted to take my bed home with me. it was awesome. We stayed for 6 nights and not one time was our sleep disturbed by neighbors or outside noise. We look forward to coming back here. It was definitely a home away from home.The best thing of all was the price. Unbelievably cheap. I dont know how they do it . we will be back!!!!! Mauii Rocks!!!! Gretchen

• Stayed April 2013
Logan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I decided to stay at the Banana Bungalow because of the inexpensive price, free pancake breakfast each morning, and free tours. I stayed longer because of the great staff and new friends I made. This place really treats you like you are family, and it is easy to adjust to. Whether you are new to hostels or a veteran, I recommend checking these guys out. They know the culture and the history of the islands. The tour guides are awesome and fun to chat with. They provide killer tips beyond what you do with the hostel as well. I did not love the bathrooms but other than that absolutely no complaints!

Room Tip: I would recommend getting a room with 4 beds and not 6.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed here my last week in Maui and had an amazing time. The staff were all super awesome and the tours were well worth the $10-$20 tip you give your driver at the end of the day. It was clean enough and the beds weren't the most comfortable but that is the trade off of being at a hostel. Overall I loved it and met a ton of people who I will not soon forget!

Room Tip: I would honestly just go with a dorm room as you are so busy during the day that you literally go to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We had an awesome time at Banana Bungalow hostel. The rooms are clean, the bathrooms and showers are shared but there are a few private ones if you would prefer that. The staff is superfriendly and professional. The hostel offers free tours everyday! Don't miss the sunday tour to little beach if you are planning to stay at this hostel. The kitchen is clean and easy to use. The loungearea with pooltable and TV is nice, and the seating area outside is a really sweet place to hang out in the evenings. We met so many amazing people and had a fantastic time at this hostel, thanks for having us guys and we look forward to come back in the close future!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel? Share your experiences!