“I love snorkeling but not with so many humans!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 33 Activities in Wailuku
More attraction details
Owner description: The Deluxe Am Molokini Snorkel trip includes a stop at Maui's #1 snorkeling destination Molokini Crater, and also a stop at Turtle Town. Molokini is a Hawaii state marine life conservation district and bird sanctuary. Located 3 miles off the South shore of Kihei, rising out of 300 feet of water, Molokini is home to many different types of marine life. Tropical fish and animals like the Moorish Idol, Humuhumunukunukuapuaa, Rainbow Wrass, octopus, harmless reef sharks and beautiful coral formations make their home within this sheltered volcanic caldera. Crystal clear water, tropical birds, endemic marine life and this secluded environment make Molokini a unique experience in and out of the water. After leaving Molokini we head over to Turtle Town, where you get to swim with the Hawaiian Green Sea Turtles. After Turtle Town, passengers enjoy lunch and a fun and informative narrative by the Captain on their way to search for dolphins in La Perouse Bay. To finish off the day, the guests play trivia to test their knowledge of the Hawaiian Islands. The winner receives a free crew T-shirt. The trip is a great adventure for everyone. A continental breakfast, BBQ lunch and all snorkeling equipment and flotation devices are included.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
24 attraction reviews
“I love snorkeling but not with so many humans!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We took this tour because “Snorkeling at Molokini” seems to be on everyone’s top 3 or 5 list of what to do on Maui. We both love to snorkel and this seemed to be the best place to visit. Our resort pushed this particular tour company and since there are maybe 20 to choose from we figured we had to pick one.

We arrived at Ma’alaea Harbor well before our printed check-in time of 7 am since we saw that parking is at a premium unless you want to walk quite a distance from the aquarium. We filled out the liability release forms and got in line with well over 100 of our new closest friends. The boat was big enough to hold us all. We went out front in the sun to a nice area where we could see the shore as we left. The boat ride to Molokini (maybe 10 miles offshore?) was pleasant. There were muffins and fresh fruit for anyone who was hungry as well as non-alcoholic beverages. The staff was very attentive to pass out snorkels, fins as well as renting wet suits and underwater cameras. There were floats and “swim noodles” for anyone who required one. The captain went over safety signals in case there were issues.

Our boat was not the first nor was it anywhere near the last to moor at Molokini. The crescent shaped submerged crater is a wildlife preserve so humans are only allowed in the water, not on the land. The boats all lined up in a row inside the center of the arch. Passengers were required to snorkel within a prescribed area near the boat with crew members on boards watching to make sure everyone was safe. Each boat had a relatively small section of water proportional to the number of passengers. I spent at least 50% of my focus on fellow humans and their flippers so I would not either swim into them or be hit by them or their plastic appendages.

The snorkeling itself was fine. The water is indeed blue and clear so you can see the fish. It is a fairly deep area so many of the fish are quite far below the swimmers. There are many of the usual fish you would expect in the Hawaiian waters. My complaint is the distraction of SO many other people that I never felt relaxed and in tune with the fish as I was constantly being nudged and brushed against by others.

They opened the cash bar after we got out of the water and I had a rum punch. There was also beer and wine. Lunch was tasty barbeque – I had a delicious pulled pork sandwich with the usual fixin’s and some tossed salad. After lunch we headed to what they call “Turtle Town” but because of the swell, it was not safe to go in the water at that location. At least they knew ahead of time so we stayed at Molokini longer than usual.

I have been on a number of other boat trips, for snorkeling, to see whales and just for the ride/view. This crew was as good as any. I believe that most crews are – they depend on tips so most crew members are pretty attentive and pleasant to the customers or they don’t last. So this review is NOT specific to this crew or boat, but more to the experience. I am not claustrophobic so 100+ people on my bot do not bother me. We knew breakfast and lunch was included (but hey, it is basic food cooked on a boat for a crowd). You can decide based on the size of the boat, offerings and number of passengers resulting in the price buy doing an online comparison and decide which is best for you.

If I were giving advice about a snorkeling excursion on Maui, I would try going to Lana’i instead as I learned that only a few boats go there – or I might snorkel off the shore by my resort and go on one of the several sail boats just for the ride. To me, Molokini was way overrated.

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 attraction reviews
“lots of turtles”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Great way to spend 1/2 a day. Kids ages 10-16 had fun, as did the adults. Nice cash bar after last snorkel. Yummy pork BBQ lunch. Appreciative of roll call to make sure all were back on the boat. Saw lots of turtles, fish, and octopus. Crew was very friendly and Jess makes the best chocolate chip cookies ever. Only drawback is the large amount of people.

Seattle, Washington
21 attraction reviews
“Molokini masses”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Went with Quicksilver on a Sunday early morning snorkel trip to Molokini- wow, we could not believe the masses of people, both crammed on the boat and in the water.
The crew were attentive and polite, and helped those who had never snorkeled before. They had wetsuits for rent (explaining that the water was much colder here because it is so much deeper? Not sure if I buy into that) as well as digital video cameras ($35 each for rent). There were boats lined up from one end to the other end of the crater, and each cruise had a little area to look for fish between the boat and the island. Everywhere you looked there were people - definitely not a trip to take if you want to see a lot of different fish.
We were there for an hour and then went on to swim with the turtles for an hour at Turtle town- much quieter with lots more space to swim and explore.
The food was definitely the bare minimum- muffins cut into 8 pieces, and some fruit for breakfast, Buns with chicken or pork for lunch. I think the chocolate chip cookies were the best. ( a hungry teenager I know ate 5!)

Oregon
4 attraction reviews
“Save your money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This boat had plenty of top seating and seating inside as well. Male crew members seemed pretty arrogant at times, I noted many comments made about guests and the crew made from male members. The female crew were excellent making sure you had the proper fitting gear and were hydrated. I would actually save your money, there are far better snorkeling and locations closer to Napili Bay, unless you go out with the notion of enjoying a nice and informative boat ride. If you decide to take a cruise the boats Trilogy looked top notch along with a professional crew. We took the morning 6 hour cruise which included a light breakfast of fruit,pastries, latter came one veggie ay that had been picked through pretty good, then came lunch which was fair...BBQ pork or chicken, pass on the pasta salad.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We had an excellent trip. Staff helpful and informative. The turtles were amazing as we're the beautiful fish and reef. Catering good, well organised and would highly recommend