“A singular experience” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mama's Fish House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 30 Restaurants in Paia
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hana Highway - Turn Left at the fishing boat
philadelphia
“A singular experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2006

The atmosphere is gorgeous. I felt like I was stepping into another time, like I was a wealthy jetsetter from the 40s. However, because of the prices on the menu, I was quickly reminded that I am not a wealthy jetsetter from the 40s! If this is you- don't let the prices stop you from the experience, we had a fantastic time sharing a very delicious appetizer at the bar and enjoying an exotic drink.

• Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
“Not worth the cash”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2006

My husband and I decided to try Mama's before our flight left for the mainland. Reservations were hard to get, even two days in advance. However, we were able to reserve a table for two at 5:00 p.m. If you are going to eat at Mama's, I recommend eating there between 5 and 6 so you can see the sunset. The property is in a beautiful stretch of beach and gorgeous! The property is probably the most redeeming feature of the restaurant. Now, on to the negatives. Despite the view, my husband and I did not consider the food a good value. We had only non-alcoholic drinks, split a tomato salad, each ordered onaga fish entrees, and split a dessert. Our total with tip was $140!! We had been on Maui all week and knew the food would be expensive, but the portions were small and the food was not all that great for the money. In fact, we left hungry. We paid less at David Paul's in Lahaina and the food and service were substantially better, though without the terrific view. Mama's was ok, but did not live up to the hype. If we had to do it over again, we would probably skip out on Mama's.

atlanta
“Fabulous meal and view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2006

You just can't go wrong here. We arrived fairly early (5) only because that's the only time we could get a reservation with short notice. We were glad we did, we got a wonderful table right by the open window with a fantastic view of the ocean!!! I did not look around too much, but I don't remember there being a bad spot to sit. The food was excellent. My husband and I had 2 appetizers and two entrees, and they were all delicious. The service was wonderful. You can't pass on this one!

Thousand Oaks, California
“Don't Miss Mama's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2006

Mama's continues to be one of our favorite places for dinner in Maui. We enjoyed dinner there twice on our vacation last week. The combination of great food, outstanding service and incredible location/atmosphere (can I live there?) make it a "must do" every visit to Maui.

Kauai, Hawaii
“Nice architecture, mediocre food and service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2006

We live on Kauai and are not stangers to resort prices, but their food and drinks are clearly over priced for the quality and service. Food, recipes, presentation just average. Not a Roy's, Hyatt or Marriott quality by any stretch. Our young bus person was excelent though, probably on minimum wage. The yard and beach and building interiors are quite unique though.