“On the edge” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mama's Fish House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 30 Restaurants in Paia
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hana Highway - Turn Left at the fishing boat
carribean territory
“On the edge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

Ok a nice setting,a little buggy depending on trade winds, very nice selection of seafood and local fare, ambiance is near perfect setting,island service, sit eat relax,

Visited August 2013

• Korean first
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Amazing Food with a beautiful view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

This was quite possibly the best dinner I had during my two weeks in Maui! Food was delicious and the view is spectacular. It's definitely worth the price!

Visited July 2014
McLean, Virginia, United States
“Rude Bartender; Over-Selling Waitress”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Food is great (although you can get equivalent at a better value elsewhere); atmosphere is unbeatable, however, we experienced a rude dismissive bartender while waiting for a table and an overselling waitress.

While waiting at the bar, a very young couple (most likely on honeymoon) sauntered up (with visions of Gilligan's Island in their minds) and asked if they served any "drinks in a coconut". The bartender was dismissive and rude and said something like "maybe you can get those at a hotel but I can serve you something in a curvy glass". This was after he asked my 20.5 year old daughter for her ID after I gave her one sip of my ($15!) tropical drink. Drink was delicious, attitude was not.

At dinner our waitress spent about 2 minutes selling us on the fish special of the day ($54), it was her favorite, the best fish on the menu, etc. etc. When she came back to take our order, 2/4 of us had decided to order it but we were then informed they were out. The waitress then spent another two minutes trying to sell us on another similar fish ("caught at 600 feet not 800 feet like the special, so even more tender") which turned out to be her real favorite fish, even more delicious, etc. There was reams of other rote memorization selling.

This review is picky, but for the prices paid, one would expect excellence in every aspect of the experience. It appears that management has spent more time basking in the glow of their positive reviews than managing their rank and file to deliver a good experience.

Would I go again? Probably not. We found many other excellent restaurants where the food was as good and the waitstaff were friendly. Whatever goodness was delivered by the physical atmosphere was diminished by the staff..

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great food! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

This place has the best seafood. Their signature mahi mahi dish is absolutely delicious. Ocean view table was wonderful. Request for one.

Great Falls, Virginia
“One of my Top 5 meals!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

This restaurant had been recommended to us by many people who had been to Maui and it DID NOT disappoint. The setting (right on the beach with water crashing up against rocks) was picture perfect. My only disappointment was that we did not get there for sunset. Our reservation was for 8:15. If you get there for 7 - you can order drinks and bring them out to watch the sunset in this picturesque locale.

I had the special.. the Opakapaka..it was to die for! My husband got the Mahi Mahi stuffed with lobster and crab. It was very good but I will say that the Opakapaka was ahead.

Service was excellent as well. This is a must for anyone going to fine dine in Maui. I promises!

• Visited July 2014