“Mama's Food Did not Disappoint!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mama's Fish House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 30 Restaurants in Paia
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hana Highway - Turn Left at the fishing boat
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
“Mama's Food Did not Disappoint!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

My wife and I took our first trip to Maui in March. At our resort in Kaanapali, several couples recommended we go to Mama's Fish House as it was the best meal they had while on Maui. As we had a late flight leaving Maui, we decided to head there on the way to the airport for an early dinner. I tried to make reservations, but the restaurant was booked.

We decided to stop in on our way, and made immediate reservations at their hut in the parking lot. When we walked to the restaurant, we were seated immediately, but towards the back of the restaurant. Our waiter was very helpful explaining the food, which was delicious. It was pricey, but you get what you pay for - the food was excellent. And it was my last time enjoying a brew from the Maui Brewing Company.

After we ate, I asked the waiter to take a picture of my wife and I, and he took several with different backgrounds. I definitely would recommend Mama's Fish House, and will return whenever I return to Maui!

• Visited March 2014

• Korean first
Johnston, Iowa, USA
“Great experience - we'll be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We skipped eating here on our trip to Maui last year, as there were so many mixed reviews on it, saying it's too expensive, not great for kids, etc. We decided to give it a try this year though, and I'm so happy we did. It was great! I know opinions differ greatly, but here's mine all the same. First, get a reservation, you're going to need one. And if you want a table by the window so you can see the beach/sunset, you need to call. We watched person after person walk up for their 6:00 reservation and expect to be seated at the window, only to be told it would be another 45 minute wait. So if that's important to you, call first. I felt that the location of Mama's and the decor/atmosphere were amazing - kind of old Hawaii, but still fun, while staying more formal-ish, but not fussy in the least. The atmosphere was simply perfect. There weren't a lot of children here, but our 2 were in no way out of place either. They do have a kids menu with items like grilled mahi-mahi or fish sticks, short ribs, and a couple more that I forgot. No chicken strips, but the fish sticks were good. Kids meals come with a drink, fries or a potato, veggies, and homemade ice cream, and cost $20. Our waitress was really good, she explained things well, was very friendly with the kids, and was just all around happy. As for our meal, it was superb. My husband and I both had cocktails, salads, the mahi-mahi roll for an appetizer (so good!), I had the crab & lobster stuffed mahi-mahi for an entree, my husband had the Ono, and then we got dessert as well - the chocolate caramel pie for me, and the the black pearl for my husband. We practically rolled out of there, we were so stuffed! But we wanted to try it all, and it was all very good. We had many locals tell us, "it's okay, but so overpriced" and the theme seems to run here on TA as well. Personally, I thought it was more than worth it. Yes, it's expensive, but really, I didn't think it that out of line. It was $248 for all that food pre-tip, for 2 adults and 2 children. It was clearly the most expensive meal of the trip, but I didn't feel it that out of line when you take into account the setting and food. "Oh, you're paying for the location." Darn right you are, it's an amazing location, and personally, I think it's worth it. Maybe it's because I live in Iowa and can't get fresh seafood or ocean view sunsets, but I felt it was worth it. I would - and will - go back.

• Visited June 2014
Green Valley, Arizona
“Well why did we wait so long to dine here?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We had an amazing evening at Mama's. Two waiters, two tables, 12 people. 12 awesome dinners, beautiful Leonetti wine, perfect (well almost) service, beautiful and delicious desserts in a Hawaiian paradise setting on the beach. Doesn't get any better than this and we have passed up this restaurant for years. Can't believe it and am beating myself up that we had only one opportunity this time to have dinner there. That won't be the case next visit. Way to go Devon and Brad. You guys rock as servers. Thank you!! The Lovin Family

• Visited June 2014
“Good, But Overpriced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I would say this is a good, high quality restaurant. However, I believe it was far overpriced. I think I could have purchased a similar dinner on the mainland for about 66% of the price. Would not consider it a must-see.

Chicago
“Our Favorite Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

This was our favorite place we dined during our trip. The view was a nice touch to dinner, since we were placed on the outside area of the restaurant. We sat down and noticed a nice note at the table welcoming us for our anniversary dinner. The food was amazing, especially the shrimp won ton appetizer. Our main dish was the stuffed mahi mahi (amazing!!). Both my wife and I had it. We highly recommend making a reservation in advance for this place, it gets super busy!

Visited June 2014