“Mixed feelings” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mama's Fish House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 31 Restaurants in Paia
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Scenic view, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hana Highway - Turn Left at the fishing boat
Hudson Valley, NY
“Mixed feelings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I was slightly let down after all the glowing reviews on Trip Advisor. While the setting on the water is ideal, it seemed a little cheesy with all the decorations and "stuff" and reminded me of a movie set or felt they should call it Mama's attic. Don't get me wrong--it is at beautiful beach setting but I expected it to look more "classy" and "elegant" for such an expensive restaurant and not to be so crowded, busy, and have 90% of the diners in shorts and tee shirts for lunch. The interior seemed like a casual seaside restaurant that serves burgers but with a lovely view. We were staying at the St Regis and that ambiance and view were 10 times better IMO. It was a special occasion and they had a nice card at the table and gave me a fresh flower lei so that was appreciated. Service was excellent and mixed drinks were very good. Given the high prices,the food was very good but I would not say it ranked as one of the top meals we have eaten. I had some sort of broiled fish which I thought was average. The macadamia crab cakes were delicious though. DH enjoyed his fish but did not like his ala carte side dish of some type of octopus which actually looked like dark pea soup. He did not eat it (they took it off the bill without us asking). The black pearl dessert was more impressive looking than it tasted. While it was OK, I have had better mousse in other restaurants and was not expecting this one to have a tropical fruity sauce under it which I did not care for. While our meal was enjoyable, I did not feel it was worth $250 and would probably not return given those prices. I would rather spend that kind of money dining at a beachfront 5 star resort restaurant which has a more serene, elegant, and less kitschy ambiance.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Korean first
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“In Maui - You must eat here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We were in Maui on a cruise ship stopover and had heard about Mama's from several locals. They told us if we cared about great food, we had to try Mama's - a 40 year institution on Maui. With only a few hours notice, we were lucky enough to secure a reservation. Everything about this place is amazing. First the setting - right on a beach decorated with Hawaiian kitsch and torches. Second the menus, they actually tell the names of the fishermen who caught each entrée. Then the service, our server Chris was an expert at guiding us through each dish and making recommendations. He seemed to know every preparation and how they fit together. Oh, and yes they do serve food there! I had their signature stuffed mahi and my wife ordered wahoo. Both were amazing with perfect cook, bursting with flavors. If I had to find fault, I would call the mahi prep a little dated (it has not been changed since the 70's). But hey, if it's not broken.. Even better than our entrees were the appetizers. The three way sashimi plate was so fresh and each fish melted in my mouth like butter. While we were thinking it would not get much better, we were talked into dessert by Chris - lilikoi (passion fruit) crème brulee. Now, we know why Chef Carlos of the Food Network called it the best thing he ever ate. The dress code is resort casual, so skip the beach wear. Make reservations early as the place does over 800 covers per day. A bit expensive - about $100 per person, but if you love great food, served by people who care, in a perfect setting - go! It's worth it.

Colleyville, Texas
“Worth every penny.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Out door seating, cool ocean breezes, beautiful ambiance, great service without being disruptive. Food was served hot and looked like art on the plate. Portions were adequate. Nice mood lighting. There is nothing I can criticize here. It's not cheap which works to your advantage if you want a mostly adult dinning experience. Just lovely.

Torrance, California, United States
“All Restaurants Should Be Like This”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

This restaurant had been highly recommended by friends. We stopped in at 4:30pm without a reservation. They graciously sat us in the lounge area for drinks and appetizers. At 5pm, the dining room opened and they moved us to a table with a magnificent view. The whole environment was like a Hawaiian dream. Our friendly and professional server made recommendations and I'm glad we listened. Our meals were delicious and presented beautifully. It is a little pricey but the quality of the food and the amazing setting is worth every penny. Mahalo Mama's for a beautiful dining experience!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Love, Love, Love!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Before leaving home we had saved the Tripadvisor "tour for foodies", but that is another review. This was our last stop on the tour and the best! We arrived around 2:30 and they were serving appetizers/salads. Our server was excellent, made wonderful suggestions, explained our choices and how they are prepared. We loved it so much we made reservations for our group of 12 for dinner a few nights later. Again we were not disappointed with anything. Our server answered all of our questions about the food, the decor and made very helpful suggestions. The Mahi stuffed with lobster and crab is fantastic!! The only downside for us was the long drive (appro 45-50 minutes) as we stayed in Kaanapali and the resturant is located near Paea, but it was more than worth the drive. If you want to have dinner make your reservation early in your stay, very busy place. I forgot to mention the decor, view of the ocean and valet parking. I could go on and on singing the praises for this restaurant.