“Delicious Food” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hana Highway
Transit: Bus - 35 - Haiku Islander. Get off in Paia and walk up Baldwin Avenue.
Pacifica
“Delicious Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Moana Bakery & Cafe is really a wonderful full service restaurant. We stopped in for breakfast before starting our journey on the beautiful Road to Hana. Breakfast was delicious. I ordered scrambled eggs, bacon, and cheese on a croissant with home fries. The croissant was amazing and set the meal apart from similar breakfast sandwiches. Upon our return from Hana, we decided to have dinner at the Moana Cafe. This meal was the highlight of restaurants on our trip. I ordered a pasta dish with vegetables and miso butter. I never had miso butter before, but it was delicious. This was my favorite meal in a restaurant in a long time. I have been trying to duplicate it without luck. We finished off by sharing the special of the day cake. It was a Hawaiian version of a German Chocolate cake and it was devine. They have an extensive bar.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

83% Recommend
The Dalles, Oregon
“Twice Blessed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

When we made the loop Drive to Hana we started with breakfast at the Moana Café and ended with dinner there--blessing us twice in one day! Everything was very fresh and well prepared. The restaurant proudly creates entrees that feature locally grown or raised ingredients, and they have an excellent chef.
I had ribs done with a cinnamon/tamarind sauce that melted off the bone. The unique sauce was the perfect complement to the meat and didn't overpower it.
The next time we are in Maui, we will definitely eat here again.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Seoul, South Korea
“Delicious, Innovative food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I've eaten here a few times now and it's my favorite place to eat in Paia. Their dinner meals kick butt! Fun appetizers and side dishes like seaweed salad. Killer local dish called Ulu luau which is like a mild coconut curry with breadfruit and taro leaves served with taro chips. Went for lunch and had bibimbap! Breakfast was lilikoi cream french toast! Yeah, it's pretty much the only place I eat out at in Paia. Almost forgot, the bartender gave me and my friend free second cocktails :)

Visited May 2013
Simi Valley, California
“Beautiful Presentation .... but ....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stopped in to pick up some pastries for breakfast on our way back from Mama's fish House dinner around 7:30 p.m.. Restaurant is under new ownership (big banner out front). Not too many people inside dining and I had heard this place used to be very busy. Choose a raspberry chocolate pastry, a chocolate croissant, and a coconut filled pastry. The Pastries LOOKED delicious ..... but, when we had them in the morning with coffee, the chocolate croissant turned out to be a plain croissant with chocolate glaze on top. The coconut pastry (which I was really looking forward to) was dry with not very much filling - basically shredded coconut. The raspberry chocolate was the best of the bunch - what seemed like raspberry jam with small shreds of chocolate. Disappointing when the flavor does not live up to the presentation. Did not eat a meal here so can not comment of dining IN. Another night we ate at Paia Fish Market - which was packed - standing room only. Moana had 2 tables of people eating. We decided all those people must know something we don't. Would be interested to hear how dining here is with new owners. Pastry case was a disappointment.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Pacifica, California, United States
“Best Restaurant for Us on Maui”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We are of moderate means and saying that this was our best meal while spending 14 days on Maui. Our breakfast, before starting our drive to Hana was superb but our dinner after returning was even better......candlelight, quiet, romantic and the food was sumptuously delicious. I am vegan and my wife is not, so we are pretty hard to please. But, we had a difficult time choosing our meal from the menu because there was so much we thought we would like, especially after seeing what was being served to tables nearby.

We tried to get back later in the week, but didn't time it right because they were closed for dinner on Sunday and Monday......boohoo!

We spent 2-3X more at other restaurants but nothing came close to the culinary delights we experienced at Moana Bakery and Cafe.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere