“"This is this!"” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Charley's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 31 Restaurants in Paia
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood, Hawaiian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Dessert, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Luna Place
Description: Paia maintains its small-town, old Hawaii charm, and is now a bustling destination with restaurants, bars, shopping, coffee and gelato. At Charley’s you never know who might be sitting next to you. It’s long been a favorite hang-out for surfers, adventurers, writers, hippies, rock stars, artists, business leaders, celebrities, and all types, looking to get away and find the ultimate in Maui hospitality.
Oakland, California
“"This is this!"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Charley's is what it is—a bar. I didn't know about the Willie Nelson connection until after stumbling on Charley's for the first time. Could not care less either way. It had two things that we wanted: beer & bar food. And it delivered. Excellent beer selection. Bar food is exactly what you want it to be. Like finding that perfect pub with perfectly ordinary but warm pub food on a miserably rainy day in Scotland. Only here, the day is likely to be gloriously beautiful.

I know others here have complained about the staff, but OMG, I love them. I think they are friendly and accommodating and can be very talkative. This is one part of local Hawaii that is as far away from the Grand Wailea as possible, and you should not miss it. In this bar, as a tourist, you are an outsider. They will make you feel as welcome as you want them to, as welcome as you want to be, if what you want is to appreciate being in a cool, laid-back, comfortable-as-a-worn-out-pair-of-jeans place in one of the most beautiful places on the planet. Bring your traveler persona, and leave your tourist bad self outside.

Been here as a couple, solo, and family, all good. Been here crowded in the evening, and quiet in a lazy afternoon. Both are nice, though I prefer the latter. With great music playing in the background, the locals relaxing, it is a different kind of place to relax and enjoy being human.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thanks Greg! It's nice to know you think we delivered. I'm also so glad to hear that our staff was so warm, welcoming and attentive. We genuinely want everyone to enjoy Paia, whether they're tourists or life-long locals. Hope you get a chance to visit again soon!

All the best,

“Omg slow”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Wait staff was horrible, would not recommend. Food was mediocre @ best, tables were sticky. Ordered appetizers of bbq sliders, so so

Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Lillian,

I'm really sorry to hear you experienced poor service. I completely understand how frustrating it is to wait a long time to receive your food. Do you mind letting me know the date and time you visited? I can be reached at Jonathan at CharleysMaui dot com. I want to discuss your experience with our staff who was in that day.

Hinsdale, Illinois
“cool but not as cool as you might think”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I know Willie Nelson owns this place which was the reason I wanted to go. The food was good but it was just bar food. Which I suppose is appropriate since it is basically a bar. Cool Willie Nelson junk hanging around and the staff was super nice. If they perked up their food some I would recommend it much higher. Probably if Willie had been hanging around I would have also given it an excellent. HA!

Visited February 2014
Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
I'm sorry to hear you thought our food was just okay. We definitely try to do better than that! In fact, we cook with local Hawaiian ingredients as much as possible. Had we known you were underwhelmed by your meal, we would've been happy to replace your dish for you.

Lake Jackson, Texas
“Pancakes!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stopped into Charley's after viewing the sunrise from the Halaekala Summit and were so glad we did! We had the famous griddle cakes (plate size!) featured by Rachael Ray. By far the best pancake I've ever eaten! So big and thick we had to take half back to our B&B for tomorrow! Well worth the stop!

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Wow, the best pancake you've ever eaten! Thank you so much, Judy. If you're still in town, I hope you get a chance to visit again soon!

All the best,
Wisconsin
“Not that great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We were told to go there for Coconut pancakes (actually macadamia nut with coconut syrup) but apparently the change in ownership has reduced the quality. It was a huge pancake, bigger than the plate, but hardly any flavor except the super sweet coconut syrup. We were disappointed. The giant replica of Willie Nelson's guitar was interesting though.

Visited February 2014
Donna,

I'm sorry that you did not like your pancake. We have not changed the recipe in many years and still get rave reviews on them. Maybe you just caught us on an off day. Had we known that you didn't enjoy your pancake, we would've been happy to replace it for you. If you have any suggestions for us to improve, please let me know.