“Wow! Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 Paia B&B and Inns
Salt Lake
“Wow! Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

This is an amazing place to stay, especially for the price. You can hear the ocean all night long and there isn't anything blocking it. The owners/inkeepers are so friendly and accomodating. We even made friends with the maid. If you're not sure where to stay, just book this place and be happy :).
You are right next to a local beach so it's not loud or obnoxious. If you want a local beach, just jump in the car for 5 minutes and you'll be at one. There are great stores, restaurants, and grocery (Mana) stores in town. There is something for everyone. And, although Hawaii is pricey, we found that Paia was cheaper than the rest of the areas. I loved it here!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

Just returned from a three-night stay at the comfortable, well-located Blue Tile Beach House. Close to beaches, good food shopping and restaurants, and especially convenient for exploring upcountry Maui, we throughly enjoyed our stay there. Our room, the Koa room, was very clean with excellent bathroom facilities and a great shower. The communal kitchen was well-equipped, and the exceptionally large living area even included a ping pong table where my wife and I had nightly matches. Host Liam was extremely accomodating, as well as knowledgeable about the local scene. Turns out he is a big wave surfer and had interesting stories and insights into this dare-develi sport. I highly recommend the property.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
westerly
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

arriving in maui with a booked place that did not work out we were struggling to find a nice place to stay Liam (the innkeeper) returned our call and said he could help us out. We travelled "upcountry" in the dead on nite and there was Liam waiting by the side of the road w/ a flashlite...we actually stayed in 3 different rooms over 5 nites so we got a great feel for the place...the blue tile is a haven...the crashing of the sea...the sea breezes...views to die for...clean clean thank you Tyra (who cleaned the Inn meticuously and w/ a real aloha spirit)...a stocked fridge w/ fruit and all kinds of breakfast foods...coffee tea and company from all over the world...posted quiet hours...an accessible warm innkeeper w/ a total knowledge of Maui....walk to town...walk to yoga,,,,our fav room sunset room...our own porch (very large) a real comfy bed....hot showers...clean and very romantic (sunset room on valentines day)...read the log book in the room from folks all over the world and you will see testaments to the beauty warmth and renwing spirit of the blue tile,,,come to Paia to sun surf explore and live in an Inn where you are special...like family...like friends...see yourself change and open to nature...island life and don't worry everything gonna be all right at the blue tile..."

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

Having never been to Maui I was really excited to experience the island. We had found the Blue Tile House online while looking for places to stay.My partner Nancy had been to Maui several times and she knew Paia was the part of the island she wanted us to stay on.
The Blue Tile House is only about 3 miles from the airport. Getting off the plane the air even smells luscious on Maui. We picked up the rental car and put Blue Tile House into the GPS and away we went. A plus about staying in this area is you are very close to the airport and that means when it is time to leave ( sigh) you can linger until the last moments before you absolutely have to be at the airport.
We got in around 12:00 noon and took the short drive from the airport to the house that would be ours for the week. Pulling into the parking area of the house it is surrounded by all sorts of trees,one of them being a Plumeria. The flowers lay scattered on the ground and of course I had to put one in my hair. Welcome to the Blue Tile House.
There is a welcome letter for you outside the door when you arrive. It tells you a few details about your stay. There is a shoes off inside policy. I would do the same if it were my place.Off with the shoes. We let ourselves in and go check out our room. We picked the least expensive room in the house. Being the sort of travelers that are not inside during the day, a huge room is not on our must have list. Our room is clean and the bathroom we have connected to our room is clean.Cleanliness is a must on our list.
Next we have to see what the beach outside our backyard gate looks like. We head out the huge sliding glass doors that lead out to a beautiful well groomed backyard with a wonderful fountain near the center of the yard. Walking on the grass we head to the gate at the rear of the yard ,slide open the latch and let ourselves out onto a small but very beautiful stretch of beach.
Ah Maui......
Going back inside we run into Liam our host for our stay in this amazing place. Liam is one of the reasons we would go back to this place. He is charming , laid back and full of information on things to do locally on the island. He tells us a few house rules and cuts us loose.
We head on a short walk to town,another plus for this location. The town of Paia is so relaxing and kick back. The shops are a little pricey, but really really cute. Every place we ate in town was very good. This is very interesting for a small town. We had lunch at a place that had the greatest margaritas.
We walked back to the house and fell into a deep sleep on a very comfortable bed. I could hear the ocean waves as my eyes closed for the night. Getting up the next morning, you are free to make coffee and help yourself to cereal and fruits. I love to not rush in the morning so getting up and making coffee when you want it is on my must have list.
There are so many things to do on Maui you will have to pick and choose your favorites and save the rest for the next time.
If you are pretentious and used to 5 stars resorts, please do not look at the Blue Tile House. However if you want to experience a relaxing stay with a friend then this is the place for you. Personally this is my kind of place and I wish I was there right now.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

You will enjoy this B&B!! the location is like a movie set. The town of Paia is wonderful, you can walk into town and have great food and drink lots of cute stores. Liam is your host at the Blue Tile Beach House when you are there it's like staying with your brother.
We really liked being in a house so you can make coffee in the morning and sit around the kitchen table and visit. There is a ping pong table and a huge movie projector. The most amazing part about this house is you are right on the water! there is a beautiful beach right outside the gate! We had a great time and are planning another trip back to the Blue Tile!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
California, New Jersey, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

This is my third trip to Maui and my first at the Blue Tile Beach House. My first two visits were at megaresorts on the West Coast (The Marriott and the Ritz Carlton) and, while I enjoyed and disliked various aspects of each resort, in the end, the trips seemed sanitized by the corporate protocols inherent in all large resorts. My wallet also suffered a serious end of the trip hangover by the cost of the rooms, the expensive hotel drinks and meals and the nonstop tipping.

Well, if you tire of waiting in a queue and tipping every time you want to take your rental car out for a drive, there is a lovely option in the Blue Tile Beach House. Located on the north shore of Maui, only 4 miles from the airport, in the charming town of Paia, the beachfront Blue Tile provides a calm respite for your vacation.

Be prepared, though, this is not a megaresort, nor is it a typical B&B that one experiences in the Victorian beach towns of the northeast. Rather, a stay at the Blue Tile made me feel as if I were lucky to know a friend with a house on the north shore, a friend who was glad to let me visit and have run of the house, provided I share the expenses. There was not a hint of pretentiousness.

The proprietor during my trip was Liam McCormick who is in residence from September until March. (His business partner is on property the remainder of the year). Liam was a wonderful host and helped us with every need before he set off to leap off whichever cliff face offered the best wind for flying that day.

The Blue Tile was on the up and up with the finances. The prices were reasonable - half paid in advance, the remainder on arrival. No hidden "resort fees" or surcharges.

The house is fully equipped with complimentary wifi. It is fast and easy to connect to.

Each guest receives a key to the front door and their room and may come and go freely. Parking is directly in front of the house. The only request is that guests remove their shoes before entering (typical in Hawaii), which helps keep the floors spotless. They are also asked to respect quiet hours in late evening.

There are 6 rooms for rent in the home, and all but two face the sea. All have attached bathrooms, save one, but in that case the restroom is directly across the hall. There are large common areas - a living room upstairs, a large rec room downstairs, a kitchen and dining room. Liam installed a large movie screen from which he can project the DVD of your choice, complete with surround sound.

The home is large, and the spaciousness is accentuated by high beamed cielings within and Spanish arches to the rear. There is no air conditioning but the home is amply cooled by the ocean breezes at night. I stayed upstairs in the Koa room and when it became warm during the day, I simply switched on the fan and opened the door and the room quickly became comfortable when the sea air flowed throughout.

The bed was firm and comfortable and my room had every amenity I required: crisp sheets, an extra blanket, ample lighting for reading, mirrors for grooming, a large bathroom with spacious shower stall supplied with toiletries, a blow dryer and soap. The Koa room faces the front of the house and a certain amount of road noise intrudes during the day but the neighborhood quiets quickly during the evening and it never disrupted my sleep.

Guest have full run of the kitchen and the Blue Tile supplies cereal, fresh local fruit, water, milk and coffee. There is ample refrigerator space and guests commonly bring their own provisions. Liam provides towels that guests may take to the beach.

House keeping is provided but not daily (who needs it daily anyway?) by charming young women who were scrupulously honest and helpful with touring inquiries.

I read other reviews prior to booking at the Blue Tile and now, having stayed there, feel some of the criticism is exaggerated. Yes, there are minor maintenance issues, such as a loose tile in the Koa bathroom wall, but they are nothing more than one would expect in a friend's vacation beach home. My priority was cleanliness and in that area, the Blue Tile passed with flying colors - it was immaculate. Liam works diligently to protect the property and constantly contemplates projects to improve it - we vote for moving the back yard fountain to the front yard though that would be a serious endeavor.

I visited in rainy season and at the outset of my trip, Maui was beset with 60 mph winds and torrential rain. The Blue Tile took the battering like a champ: power remained on and the roof stayed in place. I was happy to be in a substantial home.

A small local beach is situated just next door. Families gather with their children and snorklers paddle through the water, searching for the colorful fish we only see in aquariums at home.

If you like, it takes about 10 minutes to walk into town where lovely restaurants and shops are located. Paia is a colorful place with surfers, tourists and locals. We enjoyed the organic market with its take-out bar, and other venues offering flatbread pizzas, $3 margaritas, gelato and inventive breakfast crepes. If you feel like a workout to erase some of the calories, yoga studios abound.

Another 15 minutes down the road brings you to Baldwin Beach which has lifeguards and is stunning. There is a protected area down the end of the beach that is sheltered by a sea wall. It offers safe swimming for children and lots of tropical fish.

Head in the opposite direction and be sure to have a meal at Mama's Fish House. It's pricey but nice for a special occasion. Nearby is a lookout for surf aficionados.

Don't forget the Surfing Goat farm. Bring home some of their award winning goat cheese for an afternoon snack with crackers. You won't look at the goat cheese in your supermarket the same way ever again.

The guests we experienced at the Blue Tile were a wonderful mix. All were friendly, respectful of one another and down to earth. It was a pleasure to meet each and every one of them.

So, if you want a break from the glitz of the megaresorts and want to spend a relaxing beachfront vacation in close proximity to reasonably priced restaurants with delicious food, look no further than the Blue Tile.

Come, take your shoes off.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
New Hope, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

We had a reservation for a tree house motel that we could never find. We were stuck with no place to stay, and calling every place just to find somewhere. We found them, and what a gift! It was off-season - and we walked in - Obviously the management is flexible! We took the ground floor suite, just two nights , no problem, they waived the minimum 3-night-stay. Yes, surfer-dude aloha spirit rules, and Paia is kind of an ashram tourist town. What a nice, friendly, welcoming place. Beautiful. We never ate the breakfasts, didn't quite know our way around. It wasn't this year, but a few years ago. I am happy that I was able to find them on the internet so we can go back!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Blue Tile Beach House? Share your experiences!