“Excellent teacher!! Fabulous experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 13 Activities in Paia
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Maria Souza Ocean Sports Education LLC Offers:-Stand-up Lessons- No Experience Necessary-Guaranteed to Stand-up in 1 Lesson! Must know how to swim - Training for Races - Long Distance Paddling- Down Wind Runs-Surfing-Extreme Surf Week Training Package- Experience Necessary-Fitness Training for specific Ocean Sports
Useful Information: Activities for older children
San Francisco, California
6 attraction reviews
“Excellent teacher!! Fabulous experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My friend and both love to swim in the ocean. I'm more timid about ocean sports but have great balance and she's not timid but doesn't have great balance. Maria provided a very informative, structured approach to learning the basics about stand up paddle boarding both on land and in the water. She is an amazing, caring teacher and guide. My friend and I were standing up and paddling before long and enjoyed our time on the water. I even did several yoga poses on the board - I felt really comfortable and stable. My friend ended up paddling all over the place and was amazed at how easy it was for her to stand and retain her balance. We both felt that Maria provided us with the basics in a very supportive and safe environment. Maria is in amazing shape and we both were happy to know that she could have towed us both in if we needed it. We both highly recommend Maria and we look forward to more lessons with her in the future.

Visited May 2013

Denver, Colorado, United States
“Hands Down, Two Thumbs up, an AMAZING person/teacher”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I'm not a very big fan of the ocean. I'm not a very strong swimmer. I was pretty intimidated to try SUPB. Maria and her team are awesome!! She makes you feel confident and at ease when you are getting instructions before and in the water. You'll be amazed what else you learn from Maria. Don't think twice, she's the one you want. I think she's also a yoga instructor, P.T., and does massage AND has some great stylish clothing in her studio. If I get the chance to return, I just want to hang with Maria and learn more. Thanks.

Visited January 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
“Outstanding-worth every penny!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

After training 5 days a week for Maliko Gulch Olukai event this past weekend, I decided it was finally time to get some help with my form and benefit from the experience Maria has to offer. I was delighted by the technical tips she provided. I have been paddling for a year, and almost daily for the past few months. I had watched videos and attempted to replicate form that I had viewed and instructional videos available on a variety of sites. The one-on-one coaching Maria provided was invaluable in facilitating a successful experience finishing my first Maliko Gulch run. Even though I had been paddling regularly, and worked to improve my form.....the face-to-face coaching with Maria was priceless. I believe she saved my back long term. I had been replicating form of professionals and with a few tips she was able to provide me a long-term solution to enjoy SUP for the rest of my life. When I faced my first terrifying, open ocean experience with 12" swells at Maliko, I kept returning to the coaching she had given me just a few days before the event. She tailored my lesson to my experience and needs, and was so responsive to my questions. It felt like a day at the beach with a friend, but I came away with a treasure chest full of invaluable tips that enabled me to finish my first event, and improve my form long term. I look forward to working with her again soon and encourage anyone considering to absolutely invest in coaching. I am so thankful for the time we had together. It made all the difference, and I will return to her for follow-up soon. You're the best Maria!

Visited May 2013
Denver, Colorado
“Unforgettable experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My sister and I visited Maui last week for her birthday and she found Maria through Trip Advisor. I wasn't sure what to expect, but as the title suggests, it was incredible! My sister and I both enjoy yoga, so we focused more on attempting the different pose rather than the actual SUP. Maria was a terrific instructor and did a great job at preparing us for the water with the dry land training. She has a certain calmness and really makes you feel at ease! I have a few friends visiting later in the year and will recommend they look you up! Thank you again, Maria! We will definitely look you up next time we come back to Maui!

Visited April 2013
Whistler, Canada
“Nothing short of Excellence!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

After researching "the best" SUP school and instructors, we decided to book with Maria Souza. It was an excellent choice: Maria and her daughter spent quality time with my 10 year old daughter and her 7 year old friend, and the two mamas over the course of three days of lessons. Beginning with dry land training which focuses on proper body mechanics and required skills, the safety aspects of getting on and off the board in the water, and handling tips and tricks, Maria takes you to the water for the real deal. Focusing on proper skills, techniques and mechanics, Maria makes the lesson fun, interesting and informative, while using the daily wind, weather and waves in a real time setting that prepares you for the "anything and anywhere" aspect of SUP. We were 100% confident and comfortable with Maria's skill set and ability to pass on her wealth of knowledge to our daughters and ourselves! We had wonderful days and every minute we spent with Maria and her daughter Bela were special. They make every minute count, like every athlete must do and in doing so, make it easy to see why SUP might just become an addiction!!! We can't wait to come back! After your session, check out Maria's line of swimwear which include SUP pants, workout gear and itsy bikinis! Much aloha! Kendra, Gabby, Kathi and McKenna.

Visited April 2013