“Nothing short of Excellence!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 13 activities in Paia
Type: Water sports
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Maria Souza Ocean Sports Education LLC Offers:-Stand-up Lessons- No Experience Necessary-Guaranteed to Stand-up in 1 Lesson! Must know how to swim - Training for Races - Long Distance Paddling- Down Wind Runs-Surfing-Extreme Surf Week Training Package- Experience Necessary-Fitness Training for specific Ocean Sports
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Whistler, Canada
“Nothing short of Excellence!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

After researching "the best" SUP school and instructors, we decided to book with Maria Souza. It was an excellent choice: Maria and her daughter spent quality time with my 10 year old daughter and her 7 year old friend, and the two mamas over the course of three days of lessons. Beginning with dry land training which focuses on proper body mechanics and required skills, the safety aspects of getting on and off the board in the water, and handling tips and tricks, Maria takes you to the water for the real deal. Focusing on proper skills, techniques and mechanics, Maria makes the lesson fun, interesting and informative, while using the daily wind, weather and waves in a real time setting that prepares you for the "anything and anywhere" aspect of SUP. We were 100% confident and comfortable with Maria's skill set and ability to pass on her wealth of knowledge to our daughters and ourselves! We had wonderful days and every minute we spent with Maria and her daughter Bela were special. They make every minute count, like every athlete must do and in doing so, make it easy to see why SUP might just become an addiction!!! We can't wait to come back! After your session, check out Maria's line of swimwear which include SUP pants, workout gear and itsy bikinis! Much aloha! Kendra, Gabby, Kathi and McKenna.

Visited April 2013

Las Vegas, Nevada
“An amazing teacher for the whole family!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I really wanted to try SUP so after some research I found Maria. My husband and 9 year old son also took the lesson. What an amazing experience! Maria was kind, skilled, and an amazing teacher. All of us were able to get up immediately and had a ton a fun doing it. My 9 year old went reluctantly and immediately fell in love. It was a great confidence builder for him and us! I would highly recommend Maria to anyone wanting to try this amazing sport!

Visited March 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Relaxing, calming and SO much fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I visited Maui earlier this month and wanted to try SUP. I was nervous about going out on my own so I booked a lesson with Maria, and she was an excellent teacher! The lesson that she gave before we went to the water was great as it made me feel comfortable on the board and let me know what to expect. Maria has a very calming personality, is very patient and encouraging, and is an expert in SUP. During our time on the water I felt confident and didn't fall in the water at all. Best of all, I managed to relax on the board and take in the beautiful surroundings of Maui - I wasn't even nervous anymore. It just felt natural and comfortable. I would recommend Maria's lessons to anyone who'd like to try SUP for the first time. No one can give you a more comfortable introduction to this amazing sport!

Visited March 2013
Spring, Texas
“SUP Anyone.... With Maria... You're Learning From the Best!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We had seen SUP from a distance and thought... Why not!! We checked out many sites and instruction possibilities and thought Maria was the Best option. We are so glad we chose her.. She is probably the most motivational instructor you will ever find. Patient... Knowledgable... Understanding.. Her background in the sport gave us so much confidence we could not fail.. I may have hit the water a couple of times, but that was on me... We've since been out on our own and had a great time.. And I haven't fallen off since the first 5 minutes in the water. Maria helped me understand what I was doing wrong, and now... It's just way too cool!!!

Visited February 2013
Dallas
“The only person who should teach you SUPB”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

When we booked our trip to Maui and decided it was finally time to learn to SUPB, we researched Maria Souza and were blown away by her personal achievements and experience. We booked a lesson for her with our group of 6. I really wanted to learn, but I was still nervous - new thing, unknown, etc. As soon as I met Maria, that unease turned into excitement. I felt so safe and comfortable with her and with her daughter Bella, who accompanied us. After 30 minutes of lessons and stretches at Maria's house, we were all ready to hit the water. And it was incredible. I don't know how Maria can manage to watch and coach 6 people at a time, but she does so in a positive, encouraging, motivating way. We didn't want to leave the water, and when we did, I think we all wanted to go home with Maria and Bella and continue our conversations and relationship. Maria took amazing photos of us and emailed them to us the same day. I can't wait to go back to Maui for more lessons and time with Maria.

Visited January 2013