“Very charming” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kuau Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Paia
Kuau Inn
You added Kuau Inn to your Saves list
676 Hana Highway, P.O. Box 791898, Paia, Maui, HI 96779   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Paia B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Very charming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

This B&B is great if you don't need to be waited on. It feels like your own private place eventhough other people are staying there. You have access to the sitting rooms, kitchen, lanai and large yard. Thank you to the hosts Neil & Julie. They are friendly, family people.They came by when we arrived because we didn't read the email instructions to get in and then gave us some good tips for restaurants, site seeing, driving etc. to get us started.

The best meals we ate in Maui were the ones we had in Paia, especially the fresh fish we BBQ'd ourselves at Kuaua Inn. We particulary enjoyed the homey atmosphere and making friends around the breakfast table with other couples/singles, sharing site seeing tips. We all had a mini new year's eve party together outside on the Lanai. The good coffee from Anthony's, outdoor hot shower, and free laundry facilities were all a bonus.

We would totally recommend the Kuau Inn and plan to go back.

Room Tip: Room # 3 has a private bathroom.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Susanville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

My daughter and I visited for a week last April... I had researched places to stay and the Kuau Inn appealed because it is older, the price was reasonable, and the location is excellent on the Hana Road. It was our base of operations. The owners weren't around when we got there, but turned up later and Julie and Neal are fantastic hosts. They are a wealth of local knowledge and FUN good people! The Inn is kept clean, the kitchen is always stocked with fresh fruit, eggs and other breakfast items. We had room 4 which has two single beds and is probably protected from traffic noise. We certainly didn't notice it. We loved the fact that windows are left open for ocean breezes, and the fan was satisfactory for keeping us reasonably cool although the temperatures were pretty pleasant during our stay. Access off the highway isn't too much of a problem.... you just have to be alert, especially during "rush" hour. We're looking forward to staying again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Newport Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Loved my 7-night stay at Kau Inn. The historic home is very charming and I had the good fortune to be the only guest at the Inn for the first 5 nights of my stay. The Inn is close to Mama's and Ho'okipa Beach. I stayed in Room 3 with the upgraded en suite bathroom. The accommodation was an excellent value; I particularly enjoyed the soft sheets, towels and the outdoor shower. Kudos to hospitable innkeeper Hayley, who was very attentive to my breakfast food preferences and overall guest experience. Mahalo nui loa!

Room Tip: In contrast to the Inn's website information, the quietest room is not Room #3, owing to road no...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Kuau Inn is not your typical B&B, I liken it to a upscale hostel which suited me just fine. The Inn Keeper was not around when I arrived, however the access instructions where mailed to me and I had no problem with access. The Inn is on a busy road, however traffic is fairly light after 10:00 pm and noise was really not an issue, other than two girls (Europeans) who decided to get up at 4:00 am and do their best to make as much noise as possible making breakfast.

The breakfast was good, I especially like the yogurt brand they stock, fresh Papaya and Apple Bananas. You also have bread/toast, cereal and eggs to chose from, all is self-serve and self-make. I also like the idea that you can bring your own food , there is a spot in the fridge for you and in addition to a well stocked kitchen, they also have a barbeque available.

If want to live like a local and have access to a beautiful home close to Paia and the North Shore , then Kuau Inn is the place for you. I really liked my stay here however don't expect fresh coffee and hot breakfast spread to be waiting for you in the am.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Heidelberg, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

This is a place to stay if you need to find a room at short notice, but not if you are looking to enjoy relaxing and chilling on Maui. It's right next to a busy road, so very noisy and unrelaxing(even more noisy if you get a room upstairs). It's also all rather impersonal as there is no contact with any owner,caretaker, or anyone as everything is arranged via e.mail. That was a strange feeling for me. When I did speak to the owner she seemed very nice, but feels like she is running a business and not a homely B&B. A shame because she clearly has taste (v.nice artwork on walls and everything is tastefully furnished) but where is she ????
All in all a slightly weird experience - nice if you are happy with a noisy and unhomely bed for the night. Not so bad, but could be a lot more, in my humble opinion.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
KuauInn, Owner at Kuau Inn, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
My apologies to this guest as I was unable to attend the Inn due to an accident that left me with a broken foot. Being on crutches for almost 6 weeks, I was unable to walk or drive. Generally, I am at the Inn on a regular basis and available for any question or concerns that guests may have.

Julie Thompson
Owner / Manager
Medicine Hat, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I have just returned home from Maui, Hawaii. My vacation was incredible and the Kuau Inn Bed and Breakfast was relaxing, comfortable and pretty much everything I could ask for in this style of B and B. My private room with a private bathroom, comfortable bed and plenty of room to walk around was perfect for a guy who can and has accommodated easily with far less. The heated outdoor shower was a highlight as well as the fresh fruit growing abundantly throughout the yard. I can't forget the bananas growing in the lanai, oh so tasty. The pantry was well stocked with tea, cereal, good coffee, The fridge was filled with eggs juice, muffin's, yogurt, fresh pineapple, plenty of condiments and milk for cereal. Although the milk ran out and wasn't restocked for two days, that was my minor issue haha. No milk for cereal you say, well then genius fry some eggs and eat some fruit instead. There were also plenty of cooking oils, herbs and spices for preparing your own personal meals. The lanai and the overall whole property inside and out is really quite beautiful. I seemed to have visited during a quiet week since it was only myself and a couple lovely Norwegian ladies, which was perfect for me. I had a great feeling of peace, privacy and freedom as I came and went, slept and relaxed. Kuau Inn is a 5 minute drive or 15 minute walk from Paia town, a 10 minute walk from Mama's Fish House and 10-15 minute drive to the Kahului Airport. The Inn is only a short drive from multiple beaches as well. All in all a great stay at the Kuau Inn, I have and will continue to recommend Kuau Inn. Thanks for having me Julie.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Very dissapointed!
We haven't seen an inkeeper or anyone else during our stay.
There is no breakfast, so this is not a B&B! You have to buy your own breakfast in the supermarket, put it in the fridge and prepare it yourself in the morning.
Be warned: The bathrooms are shared with all the rooms in the house!
The noise of the highway (that is running right in fornt of the house) is keeping you up at night.

Don't book this, unless you expect to be in a hostel with shared bathrooms and no service!

Room Tip: Don't book a room here!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
KuauInn, Owner at Kuau Inn, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
I am one of the owners of Kuau Inn and we are always concerned if any guest has had a negative experience at our Inn. We are sorry if there was any misunderstanding.

Innkeeper: I checked with our innkeeper Maile. Although she didn’t see you on arrival, she told me she met you and checked in with you at least a couple of times to see if you needed anything. You talked about shampoo. Not sure why you didn’t see anyone else, as the Inn was full with guests in other rooms.

Food: At Kuau Inn, the fridge is stocked with self-serve breakfast foods: toast, bagels, muffins, eggs, yogurt, cereals, milk, juice, fresh fruit, coffee and tea etc. This food was re-stocked daily during your stay. Guests are free to help themselves to make breakfast in their own time. This information is on our website, the info sheet in each room, and a sign on the fridge in the kitchen. We find that other guests like this better than having a limited set time when breakfast is served.

Bathrooms: The house has 4 guest bathrooms and an outdoor shower for two. The upstairs bathroom is only shared between the two rooms upstairs (and only if both rooms are occupied). Room 3 downstairs has its own private bathroom and Room 4 has access to two downstairs bathrooms.

Cost: Kuau Inn is one of the least expensive places to stay on Maui.

Noise & Air Conditioning: It is true that we do not have air conditioning in the house, as we prefer to let the trade winds breeze through the house to cool it down. There are fans available however most guests do not find a need for this. There is a road in front of the house. The upstairs rooms can be a little loud at times, but most guests have not had a problem with this.

At Kuau Inn, we try to provide a comfortable environment where guests can relax, and make themselves feel at home and enjoy their vacation.

Been to Kuau Inn? Share your experiences!