“Nice and Friendly!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 Specialty Lodging in Paia
Italy
“Nice and Friendly!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Nice little lodge,well situated in the centre of Paia which is a good location to discover the island of Maui, friendly and relaxed atmosphere, very nice garden hawaiian style with barbeque place available for the guests!!!. If your looking for a nice place with clean rooms this is the ideal accomodation for you, especially if you're travelling with friends or with your partner.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
NaluKai, Manager at Nalu Kai Lodge, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review of our little Lodge. We're glad you liked it and pride ourselves on having exceptionally clean rooms and grounds for our guests to enjoy. We love having international visitors to our famed North Shore and welcome you again the next time you visit Maui. Aloha!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

We spent three nights here. We found it was a great place to stay in Paia, but don't expect much comfort. The room was small, almost all taken up by the bed. But we spent most of our time at the lodge outside in the common area (which we usually had to our own). The bed was good and clean, just like the shower.

The location is great. Just a short walk from te beach and just across the street for some nice resaurants. And for me the best thing was that is was just around the corner of Maui Cyclery, the best place to rent a bike to ride up Haleakala.

The lodge is right at the very busy intersection of Paia, but much to my surprise we hardly heard any noise from that.

The only downside was that there is no door for the toilet, just a curtain. So make sure you are ok with your roommate's odors before booking.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

One thing I lke about Trip Advisor is the ability to share information about small operations that may not otherwise get attention. This lodge does a great job of knowing what is important to a good stay and doing those things very well. It is minimalist - no air conditioning and the bath room is separated by a curtain. But it is super clean and creative in approach and furnishings. It has pretty common areas that encourage interaction between the guests. I loved sleeping with the windows open and waking to the sounds of the birds and the ocean. The sheets were good and the bed was very comfortable. I was there in off season so noise or parking was not a problem. Paia is a cute little town with good places to eat and awesome egg-free, dairy-free gelato. I only stayed two nights but I could have easily spent two weeks here doing nothing.
The internet didn't work in my room, so I had to go to the common areas to plan my day. I think other rooms were fine though, just something that needs adjustment.
Great place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

The rooms were charming and clean. The room was perfect size. The lodge is in a perfect location. I enjoyed my stay and enjoyed the little town of Paia. My trip to Maui was wonderful. I would come back to stay again.

• Stayed March 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

The Nalu Kai Lodge has a personal touch that's missing from the resorts on the south side of the island. If you're looking for a more relaxed place to stay, and don't mind not being right on the beach, this is a great option. From the web site, I had expected one step up from a hostel, but it was much nicer than that - well decorated, clean, and comfortable, with great attention to detail and a friendly and considerate clientele. We stayed in Room 6 and didn't experience noise problems - at least, not on the order we'd been led to expect. Note that the bathroom is curtained off (no door), so if you're sharing a room, make sure it's with someone you're pretty comfortable with. What would take this place up a notch? Real coffee and a few more kitchen amenities in the common area. Other than that, it's perfect.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I've never posted a review on TripAdvisor...really...but my awesome stay at the Nalu Kai Lodge has compelled me to do so.

My friend and I really enjoyed the Lodge…as well as the town of Paia. This is the place if you're looking for a charming, laid-back, non-resort Maui experience.

room/lodge – Cute, simple, clean, affordable. It came with two beach towels which was great and a little fridge so we went to the local market and filled it with snacks. The caretakers were incredibly friendly & helpful. There’s also a grill (which we unfortunately didn't have time to use) and a washer-drier (which definitely came in handy after a muddy drive to Hana).

noise – Yes, you do get a fair bit of street noise in the morning at least from our room (# 5) so if you’re a light sleeper then this might not be the place for you. I’m not bothered by it, but just in case, I used earplugs & that did the trick.

parking – Parking is limited. We got on-site parking only once in our stay over 5 nights, but a free public parking lot was just a short walk away

the town – What an eccentric, quirky little town! I loved the little shops, the restaurants/bars, the plentiful coffee shops and particularly the people…just a really friendly open vibe. Paia...being centrally located...also felt like a great base of operations to go out and explore the different parts of Maui. And after being out and about all day, it was nice to come back to Paia and wind down at a local establishment.

beaches – The beaches around Paia can be windy. Most folks surf (in its many forms) or watch surfing at them, BUT if your aim is to just chill out and sunbathe, check out the beach at Paia Bay. The eastern most part of that beach…it’s kind of in this little elbow…gets very little wind. It’s a magic spot.

If I’m ever lucky enough to get back to Maui, I plan to stay at the Lodge again!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
NaluKai, Manager at Nalu Kai Lodge, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Mahalo for taking the time to give us such a wonderfully written and thorough review! We very much enjoyed having you at the Lodge and look forward to your next visit to our little bit of Paradise.
Aloha,
Maria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Amazing stay! Beautifully kept lodge, very friendly helpful staff to make reservations. Definitely stay here!!!! Ill go back hopefully sooner rather than later. The room/ bathroom and kitchen were absolutely gorgeous. The lodge give you the ability to walk to the beach, grocery store, and the entire paia town!

• Stayed January 2013
NaluKai, Manager at Nalu Kai Lodge, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for the glowing review! We're happy you enjoyed your time here and thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Aloha,
Maria

Been to Nalu Kai Lodge? Share your experiences!