“Aromatherapy Foundation of Maui the Best Place to Stay during your Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aromatherapy Foundation of Maui

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Makawao
Aromatherapy Foundation of Maui
Villa & Cottages, Olinda Road, Makawao, Maui, HI 96768 (Formerly known as Olinda Retreat & Spa)   |
Old Greenwich
“Aromatherapy Foundation of Maui the Best Place to Stay during your Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

Aloha Everybody,
Let us share our experience during our last vacation on Maui. Olinda is an amazing place, especially if you stay at Doreena’s and Tom’s place! That’s where we chose to stay for 3 weeks this year in early summer (to be exact, from May 27 through June 15, 2009). We stayed at the Octagon, and let us tell you, it’s is a peaceful, magical, silent place where you can forget all the worries of the outside world. The fragrance wafting up from the wild geranium fields is tantalizing. The aroma therapy massage and facial at the spa was one of the best and most relaxing that we ever had. We liked Cujo’s (the watch dog) “attitude”, he seems to understand every word, and we enjoyed his frequent visits. What a wonderful start of the day it is relaxing in the hot tub, and then swimming in the lap pool. During our previous visits to Hawaii we stayed at different places, including luxury hotels, but this beats anything we called home during our vacations. We will remember this place forever, and we will definitely be back for another peaceful and romantic stay.
Wolfgang and Martha Boeker
Old Greenwich, CT

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Muscatine Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

When looking for an up-country vacation rental for our family, we found the Aromatherapy Conference Center Grand Villa getaway online. We looked at the pictures on the web site and were favorably impressed. But nothing could have prepared us for the reality of the place. No photograph could have captured the thousands of square feet of oiled, Koa wood floors. We couldn’t have imagined the hand-carved Grand Staircase that was suitable for a reception by a visiting dignitary. The massive, custom-built kitchen with its commercial appliances and Caphalon cookware caused us to choose “eating in” for most of our meals. And nobody would have expected a rental to be filled with the incredible sculptures or works of original art that graced the walls of so many rooms.

But one hardly has time to admire the art, because the views beyond the acres of glass simply took our breath away. By day, you look across the valley to the West Mountains and Iao Valley. Both the North and South Shores of the Island are laid out before you like a topographic map. The sunsets were “event quality” phenomena around which we built our daily schedule. By night, the lights of Kahului and Wailuku beckon. Moreover, at the altitude, the stars are so dense and clear that one would think one was in the heights of Colorado! And don’t even get me started on the grounds! Too late, here I go. As frequent visitors to botanical gardens all over the country, we have high expectations for landscaping. The green spaces at the Aromatherapy Foundation are a delight to the senses from every angle. Colors, textures and fragrances abound, framing the panoramic view of the island.

Makawao and Kula are just minutes away, for shopping, great restaurants and gallery browsing, and the beaches not far beyond. But, instead of constant adventuring, my wife and I found ourselves surrendering the car to our boys while we lingered on the decks or in the hot tub, enjoying our solitude and the silence that was as refreshing as the floral scents that surrounded us.

The property easily absorbed the four of us—in fact, we could have lost each other for hours without leaving the house. I would expect to pay over $800/night for The Master Suite alone if we were on a beachfront property. Instead, we had a mansion to prattle around in—probably the finest property in the loveliest location we will ever occupy in our lives—at an incredible value. Tom and Doreena were very helpful, and accessible but never obtrusive.

We didn’t tour the Honeymoon Cottage or Octagon, because they were occupied during our 11-night visit. But next time, when it’s just the two of us, we will definitely select one of these two charming units.

Let me qualify myself. I am a writer by profession, but NOT a paid endorser. We paid the going rate—and loved the place that much. And, with a new grandbaby on the Island, we’re looking forward to our next visit

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Bellevue, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2008

We didn't stay on the grounds, but the surroundings are breathtaking. I booked the 3-hour Precious Spa Package as a surprise for my wife for our second anniversary. The spa is incredible! Service is very relaxed and personal. We have enjoyed spa days at other high end hotels, and they cannot come close to what the Maui Spa Retreat offers. It was the most incredible, relaxing experience. We both left the Maui Spa Retreat with glowing skin and rested souls. You'll enjoy the experience, it's more than worth the drive if you are staying in Maui!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rvik
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

Stayed there for 2 nights in May, me and my wife and we loved it. We were only 4 nights in Maui and stayed at the Four Seasons the other 2 nights. There is no comparison - you can find hundreds of 5 star hotels around the world but there is only one Olinda. Wonderful in every way. Stayed in the Octagon and it was perfect. Shower and bed was excellent, the garden and the pool awesome. The view is indescribable. We both had a massage and it was the best.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
elk grove, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2008

We stayed for two nights, wish we could have stay longer, in June. We stayed in the larger of the two cottages. The grounds are immaculate, views breathtaking and the cottage itself is so comfortable. The bed was very comfortable and the view from the bedroom was so peaceful. I just really can't say enough good things. We just absolutely loved this place and will return. The spa is very nice too. I had a massage that was by far the best I have ever had and I get massages regularly and often when I travel. I would recommend you come here for a few nights at the front end or back end of your trip to either unwind upfront or totally veg at the backend of your vacation. I like the beach and convenience of lahaina and kaanapali too so I mix my trips up. So when I do go up country I do nothing but take in the scenery, peacefullness and relax. If you like hussle and bussle, this is not a good choice.

The property owners are very gracious and welcoming too.

• Liked — View, comfortable bed, the massage
  • Disliked — Cooking utinsels and cookware well used and not enough of it to really cook
  • Stayed June 2008
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2008

My fiance and I stayed here in the Octagon cottage for two nights at the beginning of June. We wish that we could have stayed longer. The view is amazing and the setting is so peaceful.

The perfect day: Woke up early and swam some leisurely laps in the saltwater pool. Prepared our own breakfast of yogurt, granola and fresh mangos and ate it on our deck. Took a shower in our bathroom with a view. Went out and toured around for the morning and returned for an afternoon sunning and swimming at the pool. Down the hill to the Pa'ia Fish Market for dinner, Mama's for a drink and back to the comfy king size bed for a completely restful night of sleep.

This isn't the textbook Maui experience, and that is what makes it so great. Yes, the location is remote, but that means an excellent view and solitude. A great spot.

• Liked — The peace and quiet!
  • Disliked — A bit of a drive to get to it, but without that it wouldn't be secluded would it?
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

My husband and I stayed 6 nights at the Maui Spa Retreat on Olinda Road in March. We stayed in the Octagon and loved every moment we were there.

The moment we arrived and saw the view, we were awe-struck. It is gorgeous. The views are incredible! It is very quiet - you hear the lovely bird and hear the wind chimes. The aroma of the flowers are delicious.

Doreena & Tom live on the property - but never intrusive, and helpful when you need them. And, there little dog Cujo is a real sweetheart.

The pool & hot tub were wonderful. The bed is the most comfortable I have ever slept in.

The sunsets were incredible, and we were home every night to enjoy them on our deck with a cocktail or glass of wine. It was a perfect end to our adventerous days! The stars are many, and so close you feel as though you can reach out and grab one!

I had two massages while I was there. I have had many massages and I truly think it is the best massages I have had in my life. I HIGHLY recommend Vickie. She is incredible with strong hands and a lovely spirit.

A wonderful place to spend all or part of your Hawaiian vacation.

Feel free to contact me if you want more information.

Kris Brown - kbrown@tonyscatering.com

• Liked — Quiet, Views, Romantic, SPA
  • Disliked — Olinda Rd. is a tad wind-y.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Aromatherapy Foundation of Maui? Share your experiences!