“Quaint, Yummy, Friendly, Reasonable....” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Maui
“Quaint, Yummy, Friendly, Reasonable....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

We love to go to Makawao Steak House...even just for Pupus (appetizers!) There is live music several nights a week, a fire place in the bar, friendly people and YUMMY food. So, I am kind of a "repeat eater" so my choices have been limited but the Calamari is to LIVE FOR! My husband really likes their French Dip. The salad bar has limited choices but is reasonably priced and fresh. The Mud Pie is also to LIVE for ...so delicious!
It is really fun to get upcountry on Maui and experience a bit more of a "mountain" experience, cooler, cozier temperatures. Makawao is really cute, (The Sacred Garden is a must on your way up!) fun to walk around, cute stores and if you come on "Third Friday" you can visit the art galleries and see street musicians and end your evening with an excellent experience at Makawao Steak House.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Ponce Inlet, Florida
“Good food in Makawao”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We had a lovely dinner by the fireplace. I had the Mahi special and my husband had a steak. Both were excellent. We also enjoyed the shrimp cocktail appetizer. Service was a bit slow, but we were in no hurry. Only gripe was that there was a family allowing their children to yell and run around the tables. Seemed as if someone should have said something. It was annoying to say the least. All in all, I will try the Steak House out again during my next trip.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
New Mexico mountains
“Great Steak and Friendly Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

We arrived when they opened at 5:00 pm and waited in the lounge until 5:30 when the dining room opened. We had the mushroom appetizer which was huge, would serve 4 or 5 people. They were bathed in butter and very garlicky- we found them delicious.
The salad bar is fresh and adequate. It is priced separately; ie salad does not come with the dinner.
Our steaks were excellent. My only complaint is that they did not offer smaller portions. But men with good appetites would not complain about that! I had the New York strip cooked medium. Just the right amount of pink in the middle for medium. My husband had the Porterhouse medium rare. It was a large steak, juicy, tender and sweet.
The service was friendly. Since we were there early we did not seem to have any of the slow service problems other reviewers have written about. The restaurant filled up as we were leaving.
I was looking forward to another meal there but no time this trip. I recommend it, but you amy do better with service if you go early.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Wailuku, Hawaii
“WORST Steak I've ever had in my life!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Went with my wife for dinner. The steak was so bad (veins, fat, grizzle) I couldn't even eat half of it. I could chew on a piece for about 5 minutes and then spit it out - I couldn't even swallow it. Between my wife and me we each left half of the steak on the plate (with a pile of chewed up and spit out pieces on the side). What a complete waste of money. Also ordered the mushroom side - which was cold. Another waste of money. Don't even think of going there. You will absolutely regret it.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Better than Expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012 via mobile

Based on previous reviews I was pleasantly surprise.

Salad bar had limited choices, but everything was fresh.

Kaki our server was great. Always there with more bread or drink refills.

Our steaks were prepared as we had asked. They were tender and tasty.

We will be back.