“Perfect Spot for Us” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Makawao
Seattle, Washington
“Perfect Spot for Us”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

My wife and I spent 5 nights at Lumeria in late February, 2014 -- my first time on Maui. It was the perfect spot for us as we have had enough of the big resort/convention hotel experience. We had a pleasant room with a distant view of the ocean. Scott in the office can find enumerable activities outside Lumeria and the retreat certainly has many varied activities every day. One night we were treated to a Kirtan chanting performance which was unique and enjoyable. The retreat is located on Baldwin Ave. and is convenient to jaunts to Paia and Makawao -- two explorable towns. It is also easy to explore Haleakala crater or drive to Wailia and Makena to see more developed beaches. The owner, Xorin Baldes, and his management, made us feel quite welcome to say the least. The retreat rooms include a complimentary continental breakfast with wonderful fresh baked breads and muffins, fruit and tea or coffee. Light breakfasts are very reasonably priced if you want more. Overall, we will return next trip to Maui.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the interior garden area or the ocean side.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

My wife and I ended a 2 week vacation in Paia with 3 nights at Lumeria and it was a great way to end our trip. The entire property was very peaceful with a real sense of zen. Beautiful pool with mountain views and gorgeous landscaping throughout the grounds. We mostly ate off the property because we wanted to absorb as much of Maui before we left. The yoga instruction was world class and my wife enjoyed the spa services.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

I'm not someone to write bad reviews so I will start with the positives. Our room was well decorated and clean with nice aveda products. The dinner we attended was excellent. We simply found this hotel was not what we thought it would be for the last night of our honeymoon. It is a bit of a splurge and felt it was certainly not worth. We had stayed elsewhere on Maui for the week and had a much better experience.

First of all, we were told check-in time was noon however we had to wait an extra 3.5 hours for it to be ready. Not the end of the world but annoying to be waiting for our room on the last day of our vacation when we could have been doing other things.

We got a "garden view" suite which actually faced the parking lot. People come and go for various classes so it was quite noisy with very little privacy. Overall there were very minimal ocean/mountain views from anywhere on the property.

Our room did not have AC. Again, not the end of the world but they should have mentioned this on their website. I understand they're an "Eco" resort and would like to save energy but this should be mentioned.

Another annoying thing was that the wifi reception was so poor we couldn't get it in our room and so had to head to the dining hall each time we wanted to access the internet.

Lastly, the complimentary breakfast was not up to our standards in the least which is surprising considering how great the dinner was.

In closing, I'm sure others have had a great experience at this resort but we found several annoying issues that added up over the course of our stay. Unfortunately it really wasn't how we wanted to spend the last day/night of our honeymoon when we paid the extra money to be somewhere special. Next time, we'll be sure to stat elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2014
LumeriaMaui808, Owner at Lumeria Maui Retreat, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear EyeSpyaSly,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Lumeria Maui. I'm so sorry to hear that your stay here did not meet your expectations. We like to treat honeymooners to a special experience, and I'm so disappointed that your experience here was not special. Check-in time is 3 pm, which is written on our website and on all confirmation receipts that guests receive. The fact that you were told that check-in is noon is unacceptable and I hope you can accept my apology. We also do communicate that we do not use air conditioners (on our website), but we will review our reservations page to make sure that the information is made more obvious on that page.
I'm also sorry to hear that the wifi reception was poor. We have upgraded our property so that all 5 "wings" have high speed wireless. i wish that you had brought the issue of a poor signal to our attention so that we could have reset the router.
We're glad that you enjoyed dinner here.
I understand if you'd rather stay elsewhere on your next trip to Hawaii, but I would like to offer you a resort gift credit for the hassle with your check-in procedure. If you would email kristen@lumeriamaui.com we would be happy to issue you a partial credit towards a future stay at Lumeria.
We hope to hear from you, and we do hope that you give us another chance!

Mahalo Nui Loa,

Xorin Balbes
Owner
Lumeria Maui
Average Town, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

This property is beautiful. It is the exact kind of location my wife and I enjoy; quiet, T.V. free, great views, and clean. Lumeria is exactly what it advertises, there were no surprises. The breakfast was great. My wife and I definitely plan to return. There were only two improvements we would make to the property. We would love to see a walking/jogging path put around the grounds, and would love to see robes added to the rooms. Other than that a great place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
LumeriaMaui808, Front Office Manager at Lumeria Maui Retreat, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Travel O,

Thank you so much for your review of Lumeria Maui! We're so happy to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you here again!

We would love to have a walking path around the property too! We just installed a meditation labyrinth and we're on the verge of putting in a 50 tree citrus orchard. After that, a walking path is next in line!
We're also just about to roll out our new bathrobes for guest use!

We're always looking for ways to make the guest experience more enjoyable. We hope you stay with us again to experience our newest developments and improvements!

Mahalo Nui Loa,

Tina Klapperich
Reservations Manager
Mullumbimby, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

A very beautiful place. The buildings are plantation style with exquisite decor and Asian artefacts. In the lobby/lounge there are huge couches ladden with cushions and the open fire is on every night , which is pleasing in the cooler air above the usual beachside accommodations. Lots of fresh fruit for breakfast and lomi lomi massages available. I recommend Jenny for her authentic healing nature. I stayed for 12 nights and felt I was saying goodbye to family when I left.
I will return if I come back to Maui.

• Stayed January 2014
LumeriaMaui808, Public Relations Manager at Lumeria Maui Retreat, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about us! We are so happy that you had such a great stay and that you enjoyed our accommodations. We hope to see you again soon! - The Lumeria Guest Services Team
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We have visited Lumeria twice in the last 6 months and both times we never wanted to leave. In my experience, Lumeria is unique to Maui and perhaps all of Hawaii. It is extremely quiet and beautiful. The staff makes you feel as if you own the place with access to all of the resort at all times. This includes an amazing sitting room area with gorgeous art and comfy furniture. On our last night we had a friend over and sat chatting there for hours. They also light outdoor fire pits at night so you can sit out under the stars and in our case, the full moon.
I loved the morning yoga classes with Skeeter and my husband even joined in a Qi Gong class which is completely out of character for him. I cannot emphasize enough how helpful the staff was. I love Mario, one of the groundskeepers, showing us the chameleons! Indica cooked delicious lunches for our group, always responsive to our requests.
My husband wanted me to mention 2 negatives- walls between rooms are thin and not well sound proofed and there is no room service or bar. That being said, I still would give it a 5! We will be back next year.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
LumeriaMaui808, Public Relations Manager at Lumeria Maui Retreat, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear HeidiS10,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. We are so happy to hear that you had such a positive experience with us and that you were able to utilize our lobby sanctuary and our fire pits. Both spaces were made in the hopes of providing an engaging space for our guests. It sounds like you were able to get the full Lumeria Experience!

Additionally, thank you for providing your constructive feedback to us as well. As a new business, we are always looking for ways to improve our facility and create a better experience for our guests. We are happy to announce that we are in the process of expanding our dining services and hope that you can come stay with us again to utilize our new bar!

Mahalo and Aloha, - The Lumeria Guest Services Team
Ojai, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I recently stayed at Lumeria for 2 and half weeks. It was such a lovely and relaxing stay. The pool is incredibly relaxing, quiet, and has an amazing view of Maui's west mountains. The yoga classes are amazing and really help the body rejuvenate. I did had a facial treatment in the massage/spa area and it was amazing. To say the least Lumeria is an incredible place to get away and help the mind and body get back to equilibrium. Also, the staff are hardworking and love to serve the guests. If I needed anything, a staff would be more than happy to get what it is I needed. All in all, Lumeria is a great place for those whose want a real escape into paradise.

Room Tip: Every room is a great room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. We are ecstatic that you had such a positive experience with us. We love to hear that our guests were able to heal your mind and body during their stay. We hope to see you again soon. Mahalo, - The Lumeria Guest Services Team

Been to Lumeria Maui Retreat? Share your experiences!