“Tranquil, beautiful and authentic Maui experience” 5 of 5 stars

Lumeria Maui Retreat
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1813 Baldwin Ave, Makawao, Maui, HI 96768   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Makawao
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Tranquil, beautiful and authentic Maui experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

If you are accustomed to and require the usual five star hotel experience provided by the big chains, then look elsewhere as the Lumeria is not for you. However, if you are searching for a truly relaxing, spiritual and refreshing alternative to mass market travel then immerse yourself in the Lumeria's magical experience. The location above Paia is comfortably away from the jostling crowd of tourist hotels in south Maui, yet provides ideal access to Haleakala, the Road to Hana and gorgeous beaches. Paia and Makawao, both close by, have a genuine local feel, with a good range of shops and restaurants - you'll find a much more authentic Hawaiian feeling here than on the south coast. The Lumeria is set in beautiful, tranquil grounds. The buildings are carefully restored and the rooms simply but elegantly furnished with a cool, timeless ambience. Relax in a hammock amongst the 'whispering pines' and feel yourself slip away to another place and time. There is a tranquillity and simplicity here missing in the bigger hotels - sit still, close your eyes and feel it wrap itself around you. We (two adults and one teenager) had breakfast every day and dinner one evening. The food is simple and the choice limited but absolutely fresh and of good quality. Try Paia and Makawao for alternative dining. The new pool and jacuzzi are excellent, more so given the limited number of guests around to use them. The Lumeria was in the middle of our 3 week holiday on the Hawaiian Islands, and fell between two high end, 5 star luxury hotels on Hawaii and Kauai. Yes, I enjoyed them, but the one I always return to in my mind? The Lumeria - every time. The absence of TV's, air-con, over-enthusiastic bell boys, valet parking, tipping for everything and endless choices on the breakfast buffet are an antidote to the modern travel norm. I left rejuvenated in body and mind. Yes, we had to carry our own bags to the room and negotiate a few steps - if that's going to annoy you, then stay away. But you will be missing a unique experience in Maui.

Room Tip: If you can, go for a suite. We had room 1A on the far side, alongside the pine trees. Good views on...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
LumeriaMaui808, Public Relations Manager at Lumeria Maui Retreat, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear IRLTB,

Thank you for your review of Lumeria Maui! We are happy that you enjoyed staying with us, and we appreciate you sharing your experience with others. We are now in our second year of business, and we couldn't be happier that folks are coming here and enjoying the experience that we dreamed of creating.

With Mahalo & Much Aloha,

The Lumeria 'Ohana

158 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

A beautiful retreat from the real world, the location is secluded enough without being inaccessible, and also good for exploring the road to Hana, Haleakala crater and and the sunny southern coast. Paia and Makawao are close by with lots of options for supplies and dinner. The rooms aren't over-the-top luxurious, but very clean with high quality fittings and toiletries. Of course, the property itself is almost overwhelmingly pretty, with landscaping, the natural setting and soothing music all combining to create a state of relaxation as soon as you walk in. It also transforms at night with well thought out lighting. My suggestion would be that although there are tea, coffee and iced water available 24 hours it would also be nice to have some juice, fruit or other healthy snacks available.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard or 'whispering forest' as the ones facing the carpark an...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

First off, I was a little apprehensive about staying here since I was skeptical about staying at a "retreat" since I am much more a conventional hotel person. This is in NOT a regular hotel. However, after a few hours I was in paradise and even mentioned to my fiancé that the place is "magical'. The grounds of the Lumeria are absolutely beautiful. I took advantage of the hammocks out back and really enjoyed the cool breeze amongst the pine trees. A very unique setting and the buildings have somewhat of a cottage or B&B feel to them. For my tastes, the location was also perfect. A few minutes between Macawao and Paia. Both have numerous boutique shopping and some decent eating places. The public beach is a 5 minute drive south. Also a good location to start a trip to Mt Haleakala to watch the sunrise. (leave by 4:15 to make sure you can get a parking space at the summit) I did not do the yoga or meditation, but the stay was so relaxing I was in "meditation mode" the entire time. It is quiet there and all of the guests keep their voices low. You will have to leave your windows in your room open as there is no A/C in the rooms. This is not a problem. The room was a tad warm late in the day but it cooled down quickly in the evening and the ceiling fan was enough. I am pretty warm blooded and normally cant live without A/C but I was sleeping under the covers every night and it was a warm time in August. We had a single king bed and a day bed and the room was plenty big. The in-room safe is not big enough for a laptop or a regular size iPad (unless you have no case) but big enough for smaller valuables. But again, you will have to leave your windows open so you cant make any noise you don't want others to hear. If you want a regular hotel experience like say a Marriot or Hilton, you may not like this. The front desk is not 24 hours and there are not many of the normal hotel amenities. However, I missed none of that (which surprised me) and could stay at the Lumeria for a week or two with no problem. It is one of the most relaxing places I have ever stayed. So if you don't like quiet and peaceful relaxation you might want to stay somewhere else. As I said before, if I had had any input in the decision to stay here, I would have said no based on the description of the property. However, my fiancé made the reservations without asking me, and as always she hit a homerun and I was proven wrong again. This place is magnificent. So if you are a person who likes a Zen type atmosphere you will like it even more than I did. I did not eat anything at the Lumeria other than breakfast and it was a nice healthy "continental" style breakfast featuring hard boiled eggs and fresh fruit along with muffins and English muffins. I could go on and on, but I will end with..."I would definitely stay here again and actually cant wait to go to the Lumeria again soon." oh yeah, no TVs in the room...and did not miss it. there is good wireless Internet coverage all through the property.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
LumeriaMaui808, Guest Relations Manager at Lumeria Maui Retreat, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Aloha JakenNC!

Thanks so much for your positive review of Lumeria! We were so happy to hear back from you!
We think it's really nice for people to hear a review of Lumeria from someone who generally appreciates the more typical hotel type of vacation. We're so glad you had a good time, and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Mahalo Nui Loa ~ With Much Aloha,

- The Lumeria Front Desk Staff
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband Jesse and I stayed here in June for our 10 year wedding anniversary...what a treat...it was the perfect place to R E L A X and enjoy the surrounding beauty. The food, hospitality, our room, and massages were all wonderful...right down to the fresh squeezed juices available each day. We had the pleasure of dining on the property with Xorin Balbes, the man who transformed the property to the beautiful space that it is today; he was the ultimate host as well as the proud purveyor of this wonderful property. BRAVO and well done, we will be back very soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Lumeria is a jewel! If you looking for a memorable stay you will find it here! Lumeria reminds us to retreat back to a sweet and simple presence of being yet offers it up with comort and luxury. The bedding and linens are of super quality. The lanscape is vast, lush and tropical. The rooms are cushy and the decor is well thought out! You will feel like its your own home away from home! Complimentary yoga classes were AWESOME! Fresh healing juices available daily! Open meditaion room, feeling your bare feet walk across the spacious lawn. The staff is where the treasure really lies! Zorrin - the creator of this Eden, Lisa - the very caring and attentive manager and Vinyasa yoga teacher, Skeeter - the lovely Anusara yoga teacher who fostered many a class with us revealing the beauty of yoga, and Saun - the loving healer! I highly recommend his complimentary healing session! You will want to book a full session after! Then the cafe staff - Jake and Emory - who help you welcome your day with a delcious breakfast display and cleaning staff, Trish - they are all super friendly and personable. It is apparent and authentic that the entire staff cares that you have a good visit at Lumeria! Even if you are the yogi type, you will love Lumeria! Enjoy hammocks swaying in the shade trees, a lovely breeze coming through your window at night lulling you to sleep, beautiful views, star gazing in the hot tub, great food, friendly staff, comfortable rooms, and still close to the craziness in Paia!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I recently stayed at Lumeria as part of The Daily Love Retreat and must say it was a beautiful place to stay. I loved the old world charm of the building and thing think that not only has Xorin (the owner) done a great job in restoring the place the actual energy that is there is so relaxing.

The rooms were lovely, I had one of the King rooms and the bed was so comfortable, I slept the best I had in a long time. I loved the pebbles that were in the shower, you got a mini massage every time and I thought that it was great they used Aveda products.

The food was fabulous - so tasty and healthy and I loved that it was all organic - The dessert each night was probably the best part and the staff were very friendly.

The salt water pool was very refreshing to jump into and the sunset over it each night was just beautiful to sit and watch - another one of my favourite activities was to sit in the Hammocks and listen to the whispering pines. I also highly recommend sitting out on the lawn at night as you will see shooting stars - we were lucky to have a meteor shower when were there and so many.

I just wanted to say a big thanks to the staff as they were all so helpful and friendly and very engaged in the business - a rarity in many places!!!

If you are looking for a party hotel then this is not it but if you are on a journey of reflection and self discovery and just wanting to switch off from the world then I highly recommend a stay at Lumeria.

Room Tip: I had room 5E which overlooked the pool - really nice to sit out on the balcony of a night.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Miles Davis once said « It’s not the notes you play, it’s the notes you don’t play that matter. » This captures the very essence of Lumeria.

Whether you decide to embark on a cleansing program, join a yoga retreat or have no other agenda than enjoy Maui’s beauty, experiencing Lumeria is a de-cluttering journey.
Walking barefoot on a lush property, meditating on a magical lawn, eating garden-grown papayas, sky gazing on a hammock, exchanging a smile with strangers are all simple yet sometimes forgotten things that brought us back to Life’s essentials.

Being at Lumeria was much more than residing at an eco-luxury resort. Granted, everything indicates you have arrived in a place of utmost refinement as it does offer the highest standards in bedding, bath installations and cleanliness - and this is not to mention the charismatic welcome and thoughtfulness of the entire team! But what sets Lumeria apart is its conduciveness to our connecting with our deep self, with Nature and with our fellow human beings. For instance, we loved the fact that our room windows consisted of mosquito nets and wooden sunblind. We could then embrace Nature’s rhythm and manifestations: a cooling breeze at night, the subtle music of a light rain or, at times, the respectful whisper of other guests.

Lumeria inspired us to open our heart and mind and abandon ourselves. We did put aside the habits we had developed to feel secure and sheltered, and in the end, we left enriched and, indeed, transformed. More than two weeks later and an 18-hour flight away, a new light is still fueling us with vibrant energy and helps us keep a positive and grateful outlook on life.

We feel privileged to have stayed in this tastefully and « soulfully » restored Hawaiian property. We simply cannot wait to return, only for a longer time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LumeriaMaui808, Owner at Lumeria Maui Retreat, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Fanfan-Maile,

Thank you so much for your review. I created Lumeria out of a dream that people would come here and have exactly the experience you had. I am grateful that you embraced and enjoyed the experience!

We feel privileged to have had you here, and we look forward to having you back.

With Much Aloha,

Xorin Balbes

Been to Lumeria Maui Retreat? Share your experiences!