“Sanctuary on Maui” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Makawao
Silicon Valley, CA
“Sanctuary on Maui”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I just spent 5 days/4 nights at Lumeria Maui and LOVED it. The experience surpassed my expectations. It was truly a luxurious, relaxing retreat from which I emerged rested and healed from my high tech job. This was exactly what I needed. When I checked in, I was given a tour of the property before being escorted to my room. The property itself is absolutely gorgeous - from the landscaping, the furnishings, crystals and statuary used for decorating, the pool, to the hammocks in the pine grove in back. The buildings are low and graceful surrounding a huge lawn area in the center where they have yoga classes in the morning. I loved just wandering around the grounds. I also loved the little touches like the complimentary continental breakfast, and flavored (cucumber, mint, or lime) ice water dispensers scattered around property. There are also really cool spa-type treatments available on-site such as massage, crystal healing (like reiki), shamanic healing, and sound therapy. I had a crystal healing treatment from Evie that was absolutely awesome. It was the high point of my entire stay! Everyone on staff was so helpful. I just can't say enough good things about Lumeria. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back facing the pine grove are very private and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

If you want a truly outsanding small hotel that is run by people who care about every detail, Lumeria will not disappoint. The setting in "upcountry" Maui is truly special as is the restored historic building. The vibe is slow and quiet but there are so many good restaurants and beaches etc. close by (Paia & Makawao area) that there is lots to do (it is Maui!) and you can come and go quickly and easily and spend as much or as little time on the property as you like. Overall, it is simply an amazing place to unwind.

Room Tip: Spend a little extra for the suites if you have a long stay planned (i.e. + ~$100 per night)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I had an amazing 9 day experience at Lumeria. Lumeria truly worked its magic on us and we returned home renewed. There was so much to enjoy at Lumeria including the skillful and fun yoga and meditation classes as well as the relaxing pool/jacuzzi that we had to ourselves or shared with a few. The grounds were stunning! I was grateful for each day I passed or walked through the lawn with the beautiful Buddha sitting at the end and the view of farms beyond. There were so many flowers and trees to enjoy all in such a serene environment. The whispering pine forest was right outside our door and we fell asleep to its sounds. While all of these things were special to our trip, we felt most taken care of by Lisa, the new GM as well as Xorin. Lisa helped us with so many things and truly went out of her way to make sure we were well and supported. We know you and Lumeria will thrive! Namaste...

Sugar Land, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Lumeria lived up to all our expectations and more! Our family of four spend three nights at this luxiourous, heavenly and peaceful retreat in July. Tina at the front desk was extremely helpful. Our room was ready before check in time as requested. We were in one bedroom suite that was quite spacious with a day bed in the front room big enough for our two kids (12 and 9). The grounds are absolutely well manicured and inviting. Kids loved the pool and the spa. Because the property is quite small, we had the pool and the restaurant (for breakfast) to our selves many times. We took one yoga class as a family and the hubby did couple by himself. Only wish the classes were held outdoors on the beautiful lawn while were there. We ran into Xorin most days on the property and exchanged pleasantries. He inquired about our stay as I was checking out on the last day. We drove into Paia for dinner every night as we weren't sure how the kids would respond to pre-set dinner menu at the restaurant. Breakfast (included as part of the stay) was simple but delicious. Tina also booked stand up paddle board lessons for the kids and they had a blast.

If you want to escape the mega resorts and still be within 30 minutes from the heart of Maui North Shore, Lumeria is your place! The mountains surrounding the property are magical! I cannot wait to go back and see what new things they have in store!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We took a flyer on this hotel because we found it while searching for places to stay in the area. We like the hilly parts of Maui and enjoy a break from the bustle of tourism. The Lumeria has completely lived up to expectation and even surpassed it. There is no way to capture 'the feeling' of a place with pictures and only few, talented writers, can do it with words. All I will say is -- a MUST STAY if you want to de-stress, re-invigorate or simple enjoy unbelievably beautiful surroundings. The care and attention to detail here will amaze.

Room Tip: They are all spectacular and individual
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We found our two-night stay at Lumeria to be lovely. The buildings and grounds are truly special and the staff is great. When we first arrived, Christine warmly greeted us and gave us a tour. One of their groundskeepers, Mario, went out of his way to be friendly and helpful. The next day there were a few different staff members on the grounds (I wish I could remember their names, because they were exceptionally welcoming and helpful as well).
We found Lumeria's location to be a great base for exploring. During our stay we went on a hike at Twin Falls, explored the main streets in Pa'ia and Makawao, and went out to eat at Hailimaile General Store and Mamas Fish House, all of these activities and restaurants were close by. I loved the balance between exploring the surrounding areas a bit and then coming back to Lumeria and relaxing by the pool or in a hammock. While I was there I tried 3 different yoga classes and there were just a few people in each ( 2/3 classes had subs so that may not be normal). I enjoyed having yoga right on the property. We also had 2 great massages with Vicky (lomi lomi and hot-stone) while we were there. The rooms are smaller than a standard hotel room, but beautifully appointed, there is also a porch and daybed just outside each room. I highly recommend Lumeria.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We absolutely loved our stay at the Lumeria. The hotel has only been open a year so I think people should cut them some slack as they figure out the kinks. We couldn't have been happier. Everyone was extremely friendly and they went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. We spent two nights there then drove to Hana where we had planned to stay for two nights. We were so disappointed by the Travaasa Hana Hotel that we canceled our second night to return to the Lumeria (luckily they had room for us). We couldn't wait to get there. The rooms were spacious, high ceilings, beautiful, comfortable and clean. Our children (6 & 8) loved it as well. The new general manager gave our girls a private 30min yoga session, for free, and just because! Incredible. Also, they just finished the pool 4 months ago and Xorin's plans for the hotel are so exciting. 40 acres of walking and running trails, fruit trees and they'll build another building to use as their restaurant. The only thing I would mention was that I thought the chef didn't need to try so hard to be exotic with the meal. More simple flavors would have been more than sufficient. Let the food quality speak for iteself. It also would have been helpful to have a vegetarian option and to know in advance that it was BYOB. But we will be back for sure. We loved every minute there.

Room Tip: we stayed in a King suite on the edge of the pine tree and hammock "forest". There was no...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
LumeriaMaui808, Guest Relations Manager at Lumeria Maui Retreat, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Heather!

Thank you so much for your review. It was so nice to have you here, and we are all looking forward to when you all come back to stay with us again! We hope the girls continue to practice yoga - their Tree Poses were amazing - just like our trees in the Whispering Pine Forest behind the Yoga Shala!
We hope that we've planted seeds for their yoga practice to continue throughout their lives!
Have a wonderful rest of the summer!

Aloha,

The Lumeria Guest Services Team

Been to Lumeria Maui Retreat? Share your experiences!