“Beautiful, peaceful, relaxing” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Makawao
Boston, Massachusetts
“Beautiful, peaceful, relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

From the moment we pulled through the gate into this perfectly landscaped retreat we knew we'd arrived in paradise (in the middle of the paradise that is Maui!). Lumeria is a stunning quiet oasis filled with beautiful flowers, buddhas and healing crystals. The decor is gorgeous -- clean lines with a Moroccan influence. Sitting in the hot tub watching the sun set over the mountains was an amazing experience. The staff were friendly and welcoming -- though be prepared to be self-sufficient. If you're looking for a place that will cater to your every whim, try one of the resorts. However, if you want to escape the hustle and bustle, this is a wonderful place to relax and unwind.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
LumeriaMaui808, Manager at Lumeria Maui Retreat, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Leonscully,

Thank you so much for your review of Lumeria Maui! We are so happy you enjoyed your time here, and we appreciate you reviewing our property for other travelers.

Best wishes & We hope to see you here again!

Mahalo & Aloha,

Lumeria Guest Services

158 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Chiang Mai, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We cannot conjure a single word that would do the beauty of Lumeria any justice. The property is so beautiful with all its colors, materials, styles and exquisite taste for detail. The lobby is absolutely gorgeous and Love is all around and in every corner. Our room was spacious clean and wonderfully furnished (all rooms have the same style but are different in a few details). The Yoga-program offered by Lumeria is thorough and very professional as well as creative. There even is Yoga accompanied with life acoustic music and the teachers are great. In the night Lumeria turns into a fairytale dream. The carefully chosen lights of the property as well as the moon and the stars make the energy powerful beyond words. When you then sit in the jacuzzi at night you feel as if the world would stop for a moment and all that is left is the beautiful sounds of the nature and your heart beating in slow motion. No matter what kind of a holiday you plan to have in Maui - make sure to visit Lumeria - you will fall in Love with it forever. Last but not least the staff and Xorin (the owner) are so very loving, it feels like you knew them forever. Thank you Lumeria for this awesome experience we are so truly grateful.
(We would like to mention that we have been traveling for the past 2.5 years all over the world and this place is probably our number one that we will always go back to.)

Room Tip: A1 was our room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This place isn't a typical hotel, but more of a beautifully decorated plantation home. The natural crystals at the entrance and in our room were jaw dropping! I had to read the poor reviews first and laugh a bit. My friend and i are not ageing hippies that is supposedly the target market, we're a management consultant and a banker - both very fussy and used to the best things.

Yes you will have to trundle your luggage up a couple of steps - this is a sprawling old home placed squat overlooking mountains on one side and the ocean on the other. This isn't the regular multiplex family hotel with health and safety breathing down your neck or disabled access everywhere. No TV, phones, no loud music or partying, no bar. But if you chose the Lumeria, you weren't looking for that. There is wi-fi with great speeds for the occasional sneaky work use.

The space is very open, with the colonial style verandahs and gardens around. You can be as private as you want to be. The staff are laid back, extremely helpful and non intrusive. We felt at home right away, many an evening had the jacuzzi and pool to ourselves. We enjoyed our morning yoga sessions, healthy breakfast with plain, simple food with plenty of options. The lovely girl in the kitchen even rustled up the most beautiful dish of scrambled eggs with tons of veggies when asked if she could scramble us some eggs.

Our beds were great, bathrooms good, great hair dryer btw - i discarded my English import in favour of the hotel one which isn't something i've done even in 5 star hotels back home. Very quiet evenings with good views of the sunset, many outdoor firepits to keep one warm and enough flora and birds to keep the spotters in us occupied.

I have to say the people at the hotel were extremely tolerant of our weird requests for new trails, rooms, sweetly overlooked us siphoning off their lemon mint water into bottles, they accomodated me a day earlier at very short notice when my travel was pre-poned and in a laid back, non interfering way did a lot to keep us comfortable, safe, and helping us out with storing our luggage, and using facilities even after we'd checked out.

We enjoyed Maui and Hawaii even more with this beautiful place to retreat to. It is in the little black book for a trip back - soon i hope.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
San Leandro, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Lumeria is one of the most beautiful and peaceful places I’ve ever visited. You can feel the tranquility the minute you step onto the property. The grounds are carefully landscaped with colorful plants and the rooms are exquisitely decorated. It’s a feast for the senses.

Lumeria is about reconnecting to spirit, finding your inner sense of peace again and receiving sustenance for your soul. The beauty and design of the resort fosters this experience and you can tell thought went into every detail.

I stayed for a week with my two sisters and we had an amazing time. We did yoga just about every morning with the inspiring yoga instructor Skeeter. The classes were about yoga, but also about being open to the “Aloha” spirit and remembering what is most important in life. With each passing day I felt more grounded, relaxed and energized.

As peaceful as Lumeria is it’s also possible to work in some adventure. We made arrangements for a day of stand-up paddle boarding in the ocean as well as a day of zip lining in the national park. There are small towns close to Lumeria where you can visit local art galleries or do some shopping. The Hui No’eau Visual Arts Center is also very close by and you can buy artwork from local Maui artists.

At the center of Lumeria is creator and owner Zorin Balbes, who personifies the spirit of Lumeria (it is his creation after all) with his warm and engaging demeanor. He would greet my sisters and I every day and ask how was our stay? Did we need anything? What were we up to that day? He could easily have been in the background but instead he was front and center, open to what our experience was and genuinely interested in our feedback. My impression is that customer service is a top priority at Lumeria and the staff wants to be certain guests have what they need.

I regenerated completely at Lumeria and left with a renewed sense of clarity, inner peace and an understanding of what I might want to change in my life going forward. I knew I needed to go on vacation before I went to Lumeria, but I left with such a deep sense of gratitude for all that I gained during my stay. If you’re looking to recalibrate and regenerate, Lumeria is the place to go.

Room Tip: I had a room in Building 1 facing the hammocks. I loved this location as it was quiet and there wasn...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

After an exhausting 17 hrs of travel from NH, we were greeted with eucalyptus scented warm hand towels and lemon mint water at Lumeria . It was rejuvenating. During a short tour of the grounds we were instantly energized by the beautiful landscape and captivating crystals every where.
When we arrived at Lumeria we were overwhelmed with the beauty and one question came to mind...." Who created this amazing space?"
Xorin is the owner and creator of this Zen . After speaking with him casually you will see and feel that every luxurious detail of Lumeria has his fingerprint of love, compassion, and gratitude on it. Then you realize you are no longer paying a " per night stay" fee , your are lucky enough to share in Lumeria's space and energy per night and spoiled with rejuvenation.
We are so fortunate to have met the most amazing travelers and staff here. Namaste

• Stayed April 2013
Wyckoff, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I was going to begin this review by saying that I “spent” 6 nights at Lumeria during the month of March for a yoga retreat, but I think it would be most appropriate to say that I “LIVED” for 6 nights at Lumeria for a yoga retreat during the month of March. I had never been to Hawaii before, so my canvas was untouched. I can honestly say that the experience was incredible. Maui is a beautiful island. I have explained Maui to others in this way: if heaven and earth met, Maui is the result. Well, Lumeria is an extreme complement to and enhances the intense beauty of the island. Lumeria is second to none. Truly a gift to the world from Xorin Balbes.

We arrived in the evening, so it was a dark drive up Baldwin Ave to the retreat center… as we drove we wondered if we would find it, should we have travelled earlier in the day… we carefully found our destination and as we turned into Lumeria’s drive, it was as though we were home. The evening ambiance was so spectacular I cannot really find words to describe what I saw. It is not just the sense of sight that creates the Lumeria experience, I used all of my senses. I used all of my human sense organs- sight, smell, sound, touch and taste…. the visual beauty of the spaces and grounds were breathtaking, the smell of the flowers, the music, the plants, trees, crystals, and the food… the food is delicious!

The staff was wonderful- a group of incredible individuals committed to the guest experience. They are not overwhelming with their service, they provide what is needed and offer it with a kindness and gratitude. What I enjoyed about the staff as well was that they were very personable and they added to the experience with an obvious interest and desire. They all wanted to be exactly where they were, and that feeling was apparent.

Again, I travelled there with my yoga instructor from home for a week long retreat. Our group practiced 2 times a day (either in the studio, on the lawn or on the yoga platform). I also took advantage of the acoustic yoga on the lawn taught by Lumeria's instructors- totally awesome! What a way to spend the afternoon, practicing yoga with local music and a backdrop of the setting sun!

I could go on for pages about my Lumeria experience but will leave some things to be imagined. I will conclude by saying that if you are looking to give yourself the gift of a truly incredible, peaceful, inspirational, relaxing, and spiritual environment, don’t look any further than here. You have arrived.

Thank you Xorin, for everything! See you next year! Our group loved it so much we will be back in March, 2014!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Lumeria is the most unique retreat I have ever had the pleasure of being a guest of from the landscaping with fountains, crystals, and hammocks, to the organic food, beautiful rooms and incredible massage, I highly recommend treating yourself to this experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
LumeriaMaui808, General Manager at Lumeria Maui Retreat, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Aloha John,

Thank you for your great comments about your stay. We hope you had an easy trip home and we hope to see both of you again in the near future. Watch that road to Hana driving!

Mahalo,

Gary
Also consider these accommodations in or near Makawao
Free Parking, B...
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#5 of 7 in Wailea
4.5 of 5 stars 768 reviews

Been to Lumeria Maui Retreat? Share your experiences!