“Perfect Place To Host A Retreat” 5 of 5 stars

Lumeria Maui Retreat
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1813 Baldwin Ave, Makawao, Maui, HI 96768   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Makawao
New Jersey
“Perfect Place To Host A Retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I had the extreme fortune to host a yoga retreat at Lumeria recently. I lived in Maui years ago, and had an idea of leading a retreat in a place that would connect the participants with the land and all that is so beautiful and sacred about Maui. When researching possible locations, I was so impressed by the way Xorin and his staff responded to my questions and supported me in finding what I needed. In the end, I decided to go with Lumeria, and canNOT say enough just how miraculous it is. The grounds are impeccable kept, every single detail is so mindfully placed, the food is fresh, delicious, and gorgeously presented, and the staff is so welcoming and lovely. The entire retreat we felt like we had the place to ourselves, so I was surprised to find (when I talked with one of the housemen) that we weren't! This year's group loved it so much that they want to have their own retreat again so I will be leading 2 retreats at Lumeria next year! I could use every positive superlative in the book and not get close to describing how amazing Lumeria is. Xorin Balbes has offered his indescribably beautiful vision to the world, and we are so blessed to be able to share it with him.

Room Tip: There are rooms facing the courtyard, the woods, and the parking lot. The ones in building 1 and 2 s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
LumeriaMaui808, General Manager at Lumeria Maui Retreat, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Aloha Christie,

Thank you so much for the review and knowing that it is written by the leader of a group makes it even more special since you are speaking for many people! We are delighted everyone had a great time and we are all looking forward to your return in 2014. We all did a little jig last week when we received your good news, knowing you would be with us so much next year.

Mahalo,

Gary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed at Lumeria twice during our stay on maui (checking out halfway through to stay in Hana) and before saying anything negative, I want to say that this is a really special place and I really hope they work out the kinks so that we can return!

We stayed from the end of February to the beginning of March and were there for a total of 5 nights split between two stays. I'll start with the things we loved:

1) The grounds, rooms and decor are beautiful. Yes the rooms are small but well laid out with comfortable beds. Truly, pleasure to be in.

2) The music that plays along the corridors is a treat. Had someone told me that there would be "spa" style music playing all the time before hand, I would have cringed but its actually just the right style and volume to transport you and create a feeling of calm.

3) The fresh juices and breakfast are just enough. While not a huge selection, everything is fresh and not too heavy. Plus, Cherokee, who hands breakfast, is a delight.

4) The staff, while not always the most service oriented, are friendly and easy going.

Coming soon: while we were there, we watched them put the first water in the pool. I'm assuming it should be ready for use any day (if it isn't already)!

While we didn't experience anything terrible, there were a lot of little issues that added up to a less than ideal experience:

1) This is NOT a place for babies. The hotel management, in many of their comments has asked guests to be understanding and sympathetic to the fact that a 100 year old building is less sound proof than a new hotel. I would suggest that the management extend the same understanding and sympathy to guests and make it clear to people that this is not an family hotel. On several mornings, we awoke to a baby crying well before dawn. I'm sympathetic, babies cry - I just don't know what they're doing crying at a hotel that is so clearly NOT for families.

2) The yoga classes that are baked in as a core part of the lumeria experience are not very welcoming. Locals attend these classes too and they get packed quick (especially when they are held in the lobby). The morning yoga instructor, chrissy, clearly made the local regulars her priority, not even bothering to introduce herself to hotel guests while calling out everyone else by name. By the end of the week, the yoga classes that we were so looking forward to had become something to avoid.

3) There are all kinds of activities listed on the schedule without any information or context. Things like "meditation" and "group sitting" have a time and (usually) a location but no explanation of whether or not this is a self guided activity or a class. Or, in the case of "group sitting" what it even is!

4) The little details that make for an incredible service experience are missing. You must schlep your own bags to your room, even though someone walks you there. When you check in there are two glasses in your room, these glasses are taken away after you use them but never replaced. The guest info book in the room is missing key details - like they give you a code for the front gate but never tell you when the gates open or close. They had a dharma talk while we were there and the parking lot filled up with people that were not guests of the hotel and when we returned we had no where to park. Shouldn't guests be given priority...or at least shouldn't the hotel management have considered this issue prior to the event and given guests a warning about parking?

We really did enjoy our time there and I sincerely hope some of these little issues that make the hotel less than ideal can be resolved so that it can be the amazing place that it has the potential to be!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha Amanda,

Thank you for your review over your recent stay at Lumeria Maui. We appreciate all of your comments and Cherokee is delighted to see his name mentioned. Please know that we are addressing each of your concerns and I am working with each department, issue by issue. As mentioned previously, I am the first GM here and I am working diligently to tie up all these loose ends that as you said, add up.

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly should you have additional comments or suggestions.

Mahalo,

Gary Sterman
gary@lumeriamaui.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I just returned from an amazing week at Lumeria Maui. It was beyond all expectations! I was fortunate enough to stay at Lumeria for a week long yoga retreat that my friend had organized. One thing I can tell you about Lumeria is that you cannot describe it in mere words. You need all 5 senses in order to fully appreciate it. First you see the amazing landscaping, from the flowers, to the trees, to the amazing lawn/courtyard, then you hear the birds and other creatures. You smell the Plumeria in the air and catch of whiff of what I can only describe as "Maui air". You feel the sunshine on your skin and the cool breeze of the trade winds. And finally, if you are fortunate enough to have a meal, you taste the amazing fresh food that you know is prepared fresh each day with lots of love. (Not to mention the amazingly decorated Lobby and guest rooms.)

We had the most amazing time during our week. Every member of the staff was extremely friendly and always eager to help us in anyway possible. We were fortunate enough to see the owner, Xorin, on numerous occasions and he was always checking to make sure we were enjoying ourselves.

As this was a yoga retreat we practiced twice a day and had use of the indoor yoga studio. All mats and props were provided for us, which was a wonderful treat as many of us had traveled from the east coast and did not bring out own mats. We also had use of the outdoor facilities to practice our yoga, if we desired, though we tended to stay indoors within the studio for additional privacy as well as use of the walls to practice our inversions.

We ate 3 meals a day at Lumeria's restaurant, Harvest. Breakfast was a light meal of fresh fruit, eggs, oatmeal, muffins, breads, coffee, tea and juice. Just right for us as we had our morning yoga practice right afterwards. Lunch was a treat. Usually we had some sort of fresh salad or wrap made with the most amazing herb dressing. Dinner each night was truly amazing. The first night we had an amazing dinner of short ribs that were to die for! We also had wonderful fish during the week, a killer guacamole one evening and the desserts were always delicious! We had the same young man (Kaimana) as our server almost every evening we were there. He was great! Very sweet, very nice and always making sure we had everything we needed. Additionally, if anyone in our group had a food allergy the staff was more than happy to make a substitution. Overall the dining experience was excellent.

My room was on the side facing the parking lot, and while I was initially concerned about noise, this didn't prove to be a problem. We did hear the rooster crow in the morning, but found that with the window shut we barely heard anything at all. The weather in the evenings was cool so often we did shut the window as we got a little chilly. The rooms are decorated beautifully! Since I was with a group of friends I got to see many different rooms and they were all beautiful.

The grounds are a so beautiful. The plants and flowers are gorgeous! There is a beautiful grove of trees set up with hammocks. Luckily the pool was opened when we got there so we got to enjoy that and the hot tub. The outdoor fire pits were great to sit around in the evening as was the indoor one!

This place was perfect for our group. It radiates tranquility and there are so many things offered to those seeking a true retreat. We got to do meditation as well as meet with the shaman who visits there on Wednesdays. Also, we were able to take any of the yoga classes offered by Lumeria.

Overall I could not be more pleased with my vacation. It was wonderful and magical. Xorin and his staff have created a unique and amazing space. We plan on returning annually!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
MOUNTAIN VIEW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Let me say this place is not for everyone. Those who want the obnoxious tourists and the traffic of the beach areas- stay away. This place is quiet, beautiful, and relaxing even for those who don't do yoga. The prix fix meal was heavenly, but make your reservation... you won't find a better meal for a better price for miles! We stayed for 3 days, which for us was perfect, we headed out to Lanai afterwards. Three days was just what we needed to unwind before embarking on the rest of our trip.
I was under the impression that children under a certain age were not allowed, but just finished reading another review that stated there were children staying at Lumeria while she was there. This is disappointing to learn, and before we return we will check, as this is not the place for kids. Kids want to run, play and be loud, this would have ruined our much needed peaceful experience. Thankfully there were no children during our visit.
The one thing I would change aside from not allowing children, is the sound proofing of the rooms. Due to the hardwood floors, and open windows you can hear everything in the adjoining rooms. Luckily our neighbors we quiet and respectful.
The dining room is also loud for the same reason, even with only adults present. My husband and I chose to eat our meals on the porch verses in the dining room due to the noise. But it was lovely, and dinner was even more romantic with the falling rain.
Xorin, the owner/designer was very sweet and friendly, always stopping to talk. The waiters and manager were the same way, all very friendly and welcoming.

Room Tip: Corner room, less adjoining rooms to hear. On the back side with some ocean views, less people walki...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Full week of enjoying the beautiful and serene space, enjoying the yoga, feldenkrais and meditation classes and Maui. Staff was very friendly an helpful; great access to Paia and Makalawo with fun places to eat. Yoga classes were open to all levels and great as a beginning experience. We had the privilege of being one of the first guest to use the pool and whirl pool. Fantastic view of Maui and the property while swimming in a beautiful pool. I couldn't recommend it more.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I was very fortunate to spend over 10 days at this amazing property. My room was luxurious, beautiful and very comfortable. The property is not only beautiful in its design, layout and landscaping, but there is also such a peaceful energy that allowed me to just completely unplug from regular daily life and get reconnected with myself.
The dinners from their chef, Indica, at Harvest Cafe were exceptional! They were so beautifully presented that I took pictures of many of my meals and those incredible deserts! They were also heavenly to eat. What a total package to go along with this space.
The yoga classes with Skeeter were amazing both in the studio and outdoors in the courtyard. I also enjoyed meditation classes and even a special evening with Lama Surya Dasis, one of the foremost Western Buddhist meditation teachers and scholars. We were treated with a guest appearance of Ram Dass who blessed us with more love and wisdom. I loved meeting other like-minded guests, healers and instructors from around the world and the new relationships that were created at this magical place. If you're looking for a different type of Maui experience, away from the tourists and enjoy being submerged in peace and beauty, I recommend this spot highly! It's also ideal for creating intimate retreats with a group.

Room Tip: There are some great room choices from ocean view, courtyard view and even some that have a whisperi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I just returned from a 4 night stay. I was not part of an organized retreat. Most people were not. I believe there was one group of 12 with the rest independents. The group could be noisy in the diinng room we were told....but I did not think they were...all very nice people.

Pros: Amazingly beautiful grounds and interior design on the main building. In fact, some of the most impressive I've seen in all my travels. Definitely a "portfolio" of the owner's talent.

Dinner on site was some of the best food we had on the island. The chef really does a nice farm to table meal. Do it.

Very friendly staff.

Cons: This is why I really can't recommend Lumeria. I knew going into it that this is not a hotel or B&B. My expectations where that it would be an upscale retreat center hosting both individuals and groups led by yoga instructors. Indeed, it was that. However, with that in mind I went with the expectation that there would be an attention to detail in terms of creating a relaxing, serene atmosphere. Unfortunately, my expectations were at best partially met...yet never long enough to actually become absorbed by the serenity I so craved and came there for.

First off, there is no age limit to the guests. That means that you will have toddlers and infants. We had MANY during our stay. Our first and only dinner (we chose not to return after this even though we wanted to) in the small restaurant began by being seated next to a family whose toddler was incessantly banging its silverware into one another and screaming. This went on for the entire meal. The staff simply ignored it. In such a small space there was NO escape. The parents kept taking this child in and out, which actually caused more disruption. Although the food was excellent, the meal was ultimately unsettling to say the least. The parents and the staff allowed this one child to ruin the evening for 7 tables with no apologies. It was extreme.

Because the rooms face a center courtyard with a large open lawn this is a "perfect" place for kids to run screaming as they play....and they did, indeed.....daily and at all hours.....once more there was no staff in sight to monitor this nor did I see them even attempt to control it.

The rooms all have a wooden porch surrounding the U shaped complex. Multiple times there were toddlers running back and forth from one end to the other stomping their feet.

The yoga was held in the main complex......with toddlers running about on the wooden porch a few feet away and infants crying as their parents marched them up and down in front of the windows.

If there was not a child making noise, there was sure to be plenty of toys, strollers, clothes, etc. strewn about in your path as you tried to walk the covered porch to get places. It made for a trashy look.

Call me crazy but when a place is advertised as a yoga retreat center I think it is reasonable to think either there would be no screaming kids at each turn and/or at least the staff would try to curtail it to some degree. Nothing like lying in corpse pose with an crying infant being marched right outside the window.....

The rooms are NOT sound proofed AT ALL. I could here "soft" conversations at nearly all times in my room--one of their suites. Thankfully, I had ear plugs. I had to sleep, read, rest, meditate, etc. with them in my ears or it was no use between the neighbors talking and the kids running about the property.

Above the main room where we did the yoga classes was an apartment they rent out. During one of the vening yoga classes the banging and stomping of feet from above was extremely disruptive. People in the class noticed and commented afterwards yet the instructor turned a blind eye. This happened to a lesser degree during the morning classes...but it still did. So frustrating!

Check in: Friendly staff. We arrived two hours early. We were told to go wait and look about and that we'd be called by no later than 3 PM as that was the scheduled check in time. Looking around meant staying in the main room as it was raining. There was no suggestion of places to eat in town, etc. We ended up finding things on our own. Beforehand, however, we went by our room and noticed that it looked "ready." Figuring that it was a matter of time before they'd call we went to lunch. By 3:30 PM (two and a half hours later) there was no call as promised. We checked in and were told to wait a bit longer. OK. We did and within another 30 min we were in the beautiful room. If they were going to be an hour past the check in "guarantee time" as they put it then we should not have had to seek them out to discover this and we should have been offered suggestions on places to go/eat in the meantime.

Billing errors were quickly responded to and corrected. Yet, when I checked out I confirmed orally the charges and had a folio emailed to me. It came with excess charges. When I question this they did remove them. They added the taxes they originally left off. There was also an indication a resort fee was charged even though it was included in my room fee....and was not actually charged. Very confusing and rather frustrating to have to email and have them call me multiple times when I was on vacation in another part of Maui.

Realize that the yoga classes are not restricted to the guests at Lumeria. There are locals and people staying elsewhere who come. This makes for an enjoyable interaction. However, due to the rain showers we were all crammed into very tight spaces in the main building with no consideration given to the $400/night plus guests who came specifically for the purpose of doing yoga there. Instead we were placed side by side and face to face in rows such that one could not do many of the poses without bumping his neighbor. I've had more space at a cheap gym class. Between this and the noise form the kids outside I gave up on their otherwise fine classes.

Internet: The wireless connection was inconsistant and most often very weak.

Ultimately, did I have a good time...yes/no. When it was good it was VERY good there. However, I never had the opportunity to experience the serenity and yoga I came there for on the terms one would reasonably expect.

Would I go back? Not unless they make it child free and retreat center guests were given adequate space to practice yoga. It seemed to be an experience peppered with extremes and contradictions between what it should have been/advertised as offering and what it delivered. Yet, the staff, although very friendly, lovely people, just seemed to either be absent and/or deliberately "unaware" of the chronic disturbances at each turn, taking no action to correct what obviously should have been addressed multiple times.

My advice: Stay elsewhere. There are a lot of nice inns around the area with more amenities, places to walk to, eat, etc. Then, on a sunny day call ahead and see if their yoga class is being held on the lawn. Simply pay the class fee ($15?) and take a stroll around the grounds, grab the continental breakfast, etc. I think those are the best terms to experience Lumeria on because it is a very special place with lots of potential with beautiful landscape and interior design.

Room Tip: Make sure you get one on the side of the "U" NOT facing the parking lot and make sure you...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Lumeria Maui Retreat? Share your experiences!