“A breath of fresh air!” 5 of 5 stars

Lumeria Maui Retreat
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1813 Baldwin Ave, Makawao, Maui, HI 96768   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Makawao
Austin, Texas, United States
“A breath of fresh air!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I have to say my experience at Lumeria Maui was just heavenly. I met the owner Zoran in Los Angeles, and he invited me to come stay for a few days. I found four days in my hectic schedule to pop over to Maui with my mom. The drive from Kahului airport to the hotel is only about 15 minutes, and the little town where it's located, Paia, is very quaint.
The grounds are stunningly beautiful, immaculately groomed, with colorful flora and fauna at every turn. It's customary to walk around the entire place without shoes. It's exactly what I needed after running around Los Angeles like a chicken with my head cut off for 5 months. The vibes are super easy going, there's fresh cucumber/basil water available - a delicious combo! My mom and I took a great yoga class on our first day. It was challenging enough but not to the point where it exhausted either of us. There is no television or air conditioning in the rooms, but we had our windows open at all times and the temperature was perfect. My mom battles with hot flashes and she was fine. The rooms are each unique in their own way, featuring gorgeous furniture, art, and comfy linens.
I would recommend this place to couples or adults looking to totally detox from the hustle and bustle of the mainland. I saw one couple there with three children, but I personally think it's better for people over 17. There are no swimming pools, but there is a hot tub, and they offer really unique services like Tibetan Singing Bowls and Cranial Sacral. Both of which my mom and I had and they were great!
The only regular meal they serve is breakfast, which is continental. My mom and I are both gluten intolerant and they were accommodating to our requests.They also have a garden where they grow fresh vegetables and they have a chef that prepares an amazing "Glow Detox". Look it up on their website, it's life changing! There's no room service available, which I was scared about at first because I'm a total room service glutton, but we just went down the street to the local market, (Whole Foods-esque), to buy some stuff. Plus the restaurants in Paia are all awesome. Try Flatbreads, (they have gluten-free pizza!), and Mama's Fish House.
Overall, my experience at Lumeria was great. Zoran is now a good friend of ours and it's amazing what he's done with that old property. If you need a pool, or television, or climate control, this is not your place. But if you want to totally relax, zen out, attend yoga classes, read, write, play your ukelele, and feel like a local, then I highly recommend staying there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Loved loved loved the experience. Spectacular setting, sited serenely away from tourism bustle - yet in convenient proximity to island adventures. Restful and relaxing. Tone for visit set with light morning breakfast - followed by on-site complimentary yoga class with exceptional instructors. Restorative daily experience. Delicious smoothie menu for meal supplement, replacement or healthful cleanse available - though I just tried as supplement (too many food options on island to forfeit food adventures).

Grounds are beautifully landscaped. Evening lighting design throughout is incredible. Historic elements of compound expertly restored and complemented with modern amenities - creating a wonderfully warm and welcoming environment. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Lumeria for a few days in Summer 2012. It was the perfect getaway for us -- and we'll definitely be back. The rooms are amazing, in particular the beds which we found extremely comfortable. The grounds are very well maintained with beautiful views of the ocean and surrounding landscape. And it's just a short drive down to the town of Paia, which offers a number of nice restaurants, shopping and beaches. Overall, Lumeria is a great place for a peaceful, relaxing escape.

One note: at the time we visited, Lumeria was not serving lunch or dinner on premise. I believe they intend to in the future, but worth checking in advance about this. For us this didn't cause a major inconvenience, as it was easy enough for us to dine down in Paia or stock our in-room refrigerator.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at Lumeria in May as a prospective location for our retreats at The Travel Yogi. The location is stunning and zen but at the same time cozy and extremely welcoming. The staff are amazing and the benches outside each room are welcoming for the outdoor relaxation you crave in Hawaii. Paia is a fun visit but leaving the property just isn't necessary :). Needless to say we are pleased and privileged to have our retreats hosted at Lumeria Maui. Thank you Xorin and crew.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Monarch Beach CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I have stayed at a lot of resorts on Maui over the past 20 years but this was a whole new experience. It was like seeing the island for the first time. Lumeria was not resorty or commercial but steeped in authenticity and what the Hawaiian's must mean by the Aloha spirit. The retreat is very high-end on every level, except price, but still surprisingly maintains a casual vibe. Going to breakfast in barefeet did not draw attention. Located in a quiet residential/estate area near pineapple and sugar cane fields it's just a quick drive from the airport. The moment we drove through the entry gates we knew we had arrived somewhere special. From the manicured gardens, restored historical buildings to the luxurious rooms nothing has been left to chance. I agree with everyone on this site's positive comments regarding the property including the common areas, food, art, hospitality, yoga and ongoing "wow" factor. You really have to see it to believe it. Also, the warmth and friendliness of the owners and staff can't be overstated. This is a retreat and a great place to just relax and unwind but if you have a car and want to venture out there's beaches, hiking, shopping, galleries and dining nearby. Don't miss Flatbread restaurant just down the hill in Paia, so good we went there twice in one day.

Cant' wait to go back to Lumeria...I've been home for days and I still can't get over it.

Linda M.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Aspen, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

If you're looking for something world-class and unique, but unplugged and in touch, check in to Lumeria. Each detail has been thought-out: from the healthful food to furniture to the healthful yoga classes. I left feeling wonderful and alive. Plus, though the area is rural, it's close to funky Paia and some beaches that are as beautiful as they get. This isn't a place with water slides for the kids. Rather, think retreat center with elegance.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

There are not many places like this in the world and I feel truly lucky to have stumbled across it.

When looking for a rather luxurious and interesting hotel to stay for a honeymoon, for curious, design oriented people we face limited options. The world ( and the US in particular) is full of bland chain resort hotels, and while a four seasons may offer comfort, service and wonderful beds, it's drastically expensive and painfully bland.

You find a whole tranche of owner run "boutique" hotels that are either run by clueless but well meaning management at best, or more likely "design hotels" that are missold by businessmen willing to buy a few items from Ikea and a chinese knockoff Barcelona chair to get into the elusive travel market of young designey people.

There are a handful of hotels that offer things as wonderful as beautiful, thoughtful design, wonderful but genuine service, and the use of top class materials, and this is one of them.

Lumeria is a stunning place, a hotel perched on the side of a abundantly green mountain, with great views and a real sense of peace.

It's staffed by warm people and it's clear that others who stay there are happy.

It's full of some of the most beautiful and expensive items I've ever seen, it's more like paying a token amount of money to stay in a billionaire friends house.

It offers a fantastic array of Yoga, Pilates and other classes, each of which was superbly taught.

I can't recommend this place enough, and while I really hate to sound a bit obnoxious, the reality is that this is a rare chance to stay somewhere where you feel good about supporting a relatively small business, where you get a rare mixture of luxury and design and where you get a perfect balance between staying somewhere with a personality and a focus on health and well being, without feeling either like it's a bit of a weird cult or obviously alternative, but also not that rather annoying wealth driven trendy faux hollywood style spirituality.

My only comments are the following.
- This is not about a resort feeling and in many ways a swimming pool would be totally against the spirit of the place, but potential guest should be aware there is a stunning large flat lawn, with a wonderful view, but no swimming pool.
- Given how wonderfully thought through everything was, and given the abundance of amazing local ingredients, the free breakfast is a little uninspired, there are great opportunities to work with locals to get some stunning local fayre to eat.
- It would be great to see the activities develop into a few more things, I feel like guided walks or some kind of cycle trips and similar could be an excellent extension.

Thanks for letting us stay, this was a wonderful few days of our honeymoon in a truly unique place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Lumeria Maui Retreat? Share your experiences!