“Very Comfortable and Affordable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Peace Of Maui

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Makawao
Peace Of Maui
You added Peace Of Maui to your Saves list
1290 Hali'imaile Road, Makawao, Maui, HI 96768   |
Ogden, UT
“Very Comfortable and Affordable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2006

We just got back from Maui and stayed 5 nights at Peace of Maui. We called them the day before we arrived and they accomodated us no problem. We enjoyed our stay very much. The rooms were very comfortable and clean and the bathrooms were spotless. The location was great for exploring the island. It is set in the middle of sugar plantations about 10 minutes from Kahalui. The towns of Paia and Makawao are about 5 minutes away. Several beaches are within 15 minutes. There is a great kitchen they have a pantry and space in the fridge for each room. There is also a grill outside for the guests. A computer is available for the guests and there is wireless high speed as well.

If you're looking for some places to eat while there, the Paia Fish Market is great. Also, the Cafe Mambo in Paia is awesome and they have good specials from 4-6pm. There is also a great asian place (Officially called Asian Cuisine and Sports Bar) on Lono Ave just south of the Hana Hwy in Kahalui. We went here 3 times and you can't beat the prices.

The only things we didn't like about the place is you don't get fresh towels each day (you can wash them yourself if you want). Other than that, the place is pretty sweet, especially for the money. We will be back.

• Stayed June 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2006

For only $50 per night, you get a clean but small bedroom, and shared bath, kitchen, and living room. The property is rural, which we enjoyed much more than the resort areas of Maui. Pretty landscaping and nice owners who lived on the 2nd floor. Distant view of the ocean, the west Maui mountains, and Haleakala. The kitchen was very well equipped but small, so you wouldn't want to be cooking when someone else was. The living area was comfortable and there was a hot tub and loveseat outside on a shady porch. Short drive from the airport and beaches - very centrally located while still being away from the crowds. We would stay there again - great bargain.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2006

This is the best place to stay if you are looking not to spend that much money. As others have said, it is very clean! Despite having to share bathrooms and the kitchen, everything was kept in great shape. I was very impressed. I also thought the beds were very comfortable with cute bed spreads and nice sheets too. The refrigerator and small TV in each room was also a nice addition. Peace of Maui is a great name for this place...it is extremely peaceful and quiet. So, if you're looking for night life, do not stay here. It is only next to sugar cane fields and a couple other houses. But after staying a few nights in Kihei, this was a great place to relax and get away. It's only a short drive to all the excitement. There's also a wide variety of people that stay here (older, younger, single, couples, etc.) which I like. I never got a chance to use the kitchen (which seemed well equipped) and hot tub. But both seemed in good condition. I really like having internet access available to look up post offices and restuarants.
My only complaints are that I had no idea what to do when I first got there. I never once got a chance to talk to the owner. The keys are just left in the room and you walk right in. With booking on-line and no check-in, it seemed very impersonal. There could at least be a bigger and more welcoming sign posted before you walk in (instead of just scribbles). Also, there's a big dog kept right in front of the door. (It's very friendly, but perhaps there is a better place for it?) Also, the outside patio by the hot tub seems a little messy. Maybe it also could be more inviting.
But overall, the inside is very nice. I highly recommend it for anyone looking to save money and find some peace.

• Stayed May 2006
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2006

I read the reviews of Peace of Maui prior to visiting and I'd like to comment.
I was there May 21-24, 2006

The GOOD Stuff
==================
1)Rooms in the lodge are VERY clean and comfortable with top notch sheets, big beds (queen).
Rooms dont have private baths, but there are at least 3 squeaky clean bathrooms and showers down the hall.
There are only 6 or so rooms in the lodge so there was never a conflict with other guests using the bathrooms/showers!

2)Kitchen was clean and well supplied with utensils

3) Lounge area had comfy couch and free internet! That was very useful.

The Criticisms
==============
1) I do like the "hands off" policy-i.e. the owners were not to be seen til the day after I checked in-
They left the keys. But, I wish there had been more than a scribbbled note attached to the right of the front door, or there was slightly more effort to be made to feel welcome.

2) There was a hot tub available, but it wasnt very inviting considering the 4 young boys of the owners were in it all the time. Also the hour long yelling and crying one afternoon as one of the young kids was doing his home work wasnt too appealing.

3) A more forceful statement needs to be made to the other guests to keep quiet late at night. I was repeatedly awoken 2 nights by a car alarm, people talking and laughing loudly, and some people repeatedly slamming their bedroom doors as they went in and out to their car and kitchen between 11pm and midnight. (Dont people know how to close a door?!!!) That is VERY inconsiderate and I really think the owners
ought to be more forceful in preventing this kind of behavior.

All in all it was still an excellent value for only 60$
I might stay there again sometime.

Nova Scotia Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2006

I stayed a total of 26 days. I was awoken by a vehicle only on one morning and never kept up past Maui midnight (10pm) by guests. The bed was extrodinarily comfortable. The showers and washrooms very clean at all times of the day or night. The common sitting room and kitchen with gas range and new fridge were great! Drinking water was supplied! The iMAC with internet worked every day. The best part was meeting a variety of people from all over the world - and the great interactions that this entailed. You will not be waited on, nor even greeted upon arrival by the hosts but if you like to be self sufficient and come together with others on common terms, you will love Peace of Maui.

• Stayed March 2006
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2006

I enjoyed Peace of Maui (POM) very much. The owner/management is very nice and helpful (they live on the property with their kids) and I think the security is good. The value is excellent (I paid about $55 per night). During my stay, there was a wide mix of guests (young backpackers and second honeymooners, and all the way up to a retired couple that didn’t want to pay $350 at a noisy hotel with “screaming kids”). POM is located about ten minutes away from the airport, up on the hillside among the agricultural fields (it’s easy to find). My first reaction was “too far away from everything” but after I made the trip back and forth a couple times I realized that it was pretty easy to get to the commercial centers of Kahului and Wailuku (the drive is pretty also!). The beaches and the attractions of East Maui are within easy reach. It took only about 30 minutes to get from POM all the way down to the Wailea area (my favorite beach spot). A rental car is a “must” for POM, it’s too far to walk to anything.

POM is about halfway between a hostel and a Bed and Breakfast. The rooms and facilities are certainly nicer and more comfortable than a hostel (more like a B&B level of quality), but the format is more like a hostel. The main building has six private rooms that share a hall with several showers and toilet rooms (all very clean and inviting, never had to wait or worry). The main building also has a nice common room with sofas and spacious kitchen (well equipped and clean). Free internet access is also provided, along with a local call telephone. An outdoor jacuzzi is also available, but I didn’t have time to try it. The owners also provide helpful info about the area.

The property also includes a cute, free-standing cottage with two bedrooms, a nice living-dining combo with fully equipped kitchen, a covered deck with grill, and one private bath. The cottage would be a great value for a small family or group. POM also offers a cute little mini-cottage called the "Pineapple Hale" (say “hah lay”). It is a free standing bedroom with big windows that look out on the pineapple fields and mountainside. The Pineapple Hale lacks a bathroom, but sharing the facilities in the main building is easy. I spent one night in the cottage and one night in the Pineapple Hale, I also looked at the private rooms in the main building, they seemed as good as the cottage.

The setting is pastoral and quiet but the “curb appeal” of POM is a little rough (during my visit part of the main building appeared to be under construction, and the grounds seemed a little too cluttered for my taste). A couple of friendly dogs seemed to be hanging around. The lawn and lush vegetation are also nice. I suggest you carefully confirm your reservation, the process seemed a little confusing to me. Another tripadvisor review mentioned noise; “dirtbikes, guns, and a very busy highway”. I did NOT experience that at all, I’m not sure why that was written.

It is not a beach resort, but I didn’t feel like I was sacrificing anything important by staying at POM (and saving money!). If you want the beach and resort scene, drive down to Wailea and spend the day at the Fairmont Kea Lani, have lunch and enjoy their beautiful beach (beach access is always available and free parking is easy to find behind the Polo Beach Club condos). Routine courtesy patrols keep everything nice, neat, and secure in the Wailea area.

I loved POM and will certainly return on my next visit to Maui (I hope the current owners stay with the property and keep it the way it is).

• Stayed March 2006
johnmichael97355
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2006

To call this place "peace" is questionable. I am here now and here dirtbikes, guns, and a very busy highway. This is not my idea of peace. The rooms are small but clean, however, the noise level is almost intollerable. If you really want peace, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business

Been to Peace Of Maui? Share your experiences!