“GREAT CREW good value for the money no doubt!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 13 activities in Makawao
Type: Water sports
Attraction Details
Casper, Wyoming
“GREAT CREW good value for the money no doubt!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We went on the snorkel & whalewatch afternoon cruise. It was a GREAT experience. Although we didn't see a huge whale display (tail waving etc.) show like we had hoped, we did see a mom and her baby slowly swimming in the ocean and it was very sweet. Our snorkeling was fun we were taken to a place with turtles and of course beautiful fish. Our meal was deli sandwiches, pasta salad and chips which was all very good. They also made a really mean Mai Tai and were not stingy at all. I would have liked to snuba but only one other passenger volunteered. I think they need to make it clear to bring extra money to snuba, I think there may have been more takers if they had! I LOVED the crew! They were AWESOME! The captain is lots of fun. He does a great job of explaining the whales and giving the passengers a heads up when they might get sprayed with water lol. The young man who is a crewman was very attentive, I was waving at a friend on the ship (while I was out snorkeling) he thought I was in distress and was there in less than a minute! I felt so bad that I alarmed him but it was great to know they are so prepared! I had a really fun time. I had a hard time believing all that food AND a mixed drink was available for such a low price! The only thing I would mention is the bathroom is impossible to get to if you are disabled there are very shallow steps and it is a steep climb down, so if you have a disability that might hinder you keep that in mind. I only say that because one of our friends is going through the initial stages of MS and could not have made it down those steps. This is probably the case for ALL these types of cruises though not just the Lani Kai. The cruise was very casual which I liked. I would love to go again, maybe next time 3 of us will want to snuba! Bring extra cash in case you want to rent a wet suit, to snuba or want a t-shirt souvenir!

Visited February 2013

Odessa, Texas
30 attraction reviews
“Maui snorkeling”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Because of rough water the vision for fish was poor in the water. But the staff was helpful & took us around the area along Maui. Our most fun was getting to the area to snorkel. We saw whales (grays) that came within about 40-50 yards & were playing with each other in the water. The crew was caught off guard by this but we passengers were thrilled! It was amazing to see something that large being playful. That along with a wonderful lunch & seeing spinning dolphins was worth the trip. Some advise, float claim in the water & you have a better chance of seeing the fish. They get curious & come to you. Don't chase as one guy did & scared away what little fish we could see. We went in April 2011 but the dates below wouldn't go back any farther so it's wrong blow.

Visited February 2012
Bentonville, Arkansas
7 attraction reviews
“Excellent Value, Great Snorkel Excursion!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I searched the internet for a great snorkel excurison at a good price and came across Lani Kai through Tom's Barefoot Tours online. This turned out to be one of the highlights of the entire trip to Maui!!! Wonderful trip! Took the 7am Molokini Crater and Turtle Town Snorkel. We left around 7:15 as we had to wait on other people booked on this trip to arrive. There were only 20 total people on this trip, typically 75 or more so this made it even better. Greg the captain and Emily 2nd mate were AWESOME! Very nice and made the trip really enjoyable. Molokini was nice, saw several colorful fish. So glad I rented the wet suit for $10 on board as the water was a little cool for me. Almost everyone on board rented wet suites that day. They really made a difference and allowed me to stay in the water longer. I loved that this boat had a water slide that was a fun way to end snorkeling at Molokini before going to Turtle Town. Next stop was Turtle Town and Greg took us to an area called Five Caves. We saw several sea turtles there while snorkeling. We snorkeled at each location for about 1 hr each. Both locations were nice on our day out. I was lucky enough to be on the boat the day Greg our captain saw a dead turtle floating in the water near Turtle Town and a Tiger Shark was eating it, Greg drove the boat alongside and we got amazing up close pictures of a Tiger Shark in action in the wild! I had never seen one in the ocean up close so this was pretty cool! I felt safe the whole time even though the shark was right next to the boat. On top of all of this since our tour was in January we saw lots of whales. This trip turned into a snorkel, whale watching, and shark viewing excursion! :) Overall great trip, highly recommend this company and crew! You won't be disappointed, I promise! Breakfast, Lunch, and Free Alcohol (after 2nd snorkel site) were all included in the price! We parked just down from the slip this boat departed from. I could see where parking at the pier could be tight on a full day so get there early and park across the street if needed.

Visited January 2013
Kelseyville, California
“Holy Cow! Look at ALL those fish!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We were on the morning boat on Saturday Oct. 13, 2012 and had a fantastic time. This was our first time snorkeling and we'll definitely come back to Lani Kai.

Mike, the hotshot son of the owner, was absolutely terrific. He also makes a mean Mai Tai.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I put my face in the water. I was dead center in the middle of a school of fish (two feet from my face) that I didn't even know was there. Next time (and there absolutley will be one) I'll upgrade to "Snuba"!

Lani Kai isworth every penny. You'll beg for more!

Visited October 2012
Maui, Hawaii
4 attraction reviews
“Snorkel, Slide, and Mai Tais”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

What to say about the Lani Kai trip. I went on a morning boat trip that starts around 7:15AM and the trip lasts around 5 hours. The first location goes to Molokini to snorkel around, followed by the second location at Turtle Town, which is off the coast of Makena coastline.

But what makes Lani Kai great is that it's small number of people (around 15-20 people, other boats can hold up to 100, which sometimes can be too overwhelming), if you like sliding off into the ocean, there is a built in slide at the front of the boat, and the food is good, along with getting Mai Tai's!

Mike was an amazing crew member, so if you got him on the boat, it's all good. 5-stars to ye Lani Kai!

Visited October 2012