“Pleasant Surprise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Lahaina Resort

You added Royal Lahaina Resort to your Saves list
Royal Lahaina Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2780 Kekaa Drive, Kaanapali Beach, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761   |
Ranked #19 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
St. Catharines, Canada
“Pleasant Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2005

Since we were arriving in Maui at midnight for a week's vacation, we decided to use Priceline for the first night of our stay. We were booked into the Royal Lahaina. After reading some of the terrible reviews, we were leary of even spending one night there. We checked in at 1 am and were very satisfied with the reception. While we did not appreciate the $9/day parking charge, we were impressed with the desk clerk's suggestion that we leave the car in the hotel driveway until the morning since it was very late to go hunting for a parking space in the vast grounds. It's those little things that keep you coming back.

We were even more surprised when we were upgraded to an ocean view tower room. While the room could have done with upgrading, it was very clean with a comfortable bed. No bugs, no mould, no unusual noises, etc.

Best of all, the grounds are beautiful and the beach is best on the island (if not in the US).

A very pleasant stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2005

My wife and I stayed at Royal Lahaina in May 2004 for a week with another couple. I initally got a great deal on travelocity on a partial oceanfront view in the main hotel and called the manager to ask if we could turn those two partial oceanview rooms into one cottage with two bedrooms.

He initally said no, but said to call back about a week prior to arrival. When I called back, he was very nice and agreed to set us up in a cottage. It was WONDERFUL. We were not oceanfront, however, nowhere in the resort is far from the beach. It was like our own 2BR condo right on the golf course. We had a full kitchen (which we didnt really end up using except for sandwhiches at lunch) and a living room with couch and TV. And best of all was our porch. HUGE porch that overlooked the golf course. It was SO nice to sit out there after coming back from the beach or one of our excursions and drink a beer.

I went jogging along Kannapaali beach every morning when I woke up. I have never enjoyed a jog so much with the beautiful beach right there.

The beach was awesome. We went all over the island, and our favorite beach was right there at the hotel. Cant beat that!!

You will see if you walk up and down Kaanapalli beach that there are plenty of fancier hotels with really cool pools, but you pay A LOT extra to stay at the other places.

Food at the hotel was not bad. We got a meal package from the hotel and split it between the two of us. I think it got us like 7 breakfasts, 4 dinners and a $50 drink credit all for $100. Not bad at all.

If you want to visit Maui, want to stay at a nice place, but are still on a budget.. I say Royal Lahaina get's my thumbs up. Go for it!

• Stayed May 2004
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2005

oh no. we checked into the royal lahaina resort, and were blown away by the disgustingness of it all. the staff was friendly and helpful, but the room was foul. foul. foul. the photograph that appears online looks nothing like the room we had. we were given a "garden view" room, which actually translated in hawaiian to "mediocre parking lot view," and the room was absolutely gross. we arrived there and thankfully brought our own sheets (we had read reviews ahead of time). the putred smell of mildew permeated the entire guest room floor. the carpet was gross. the bedspread was from 1960, and we were told that we could only get ice from two floors of the tower (our floor wasnt one of them). we arrived late at night, so we had no other alternative but to stay the night, and even after a long, long flight, we couldnt bring ourselves to take a shower or sleep comfortably in the beds. the saving grace was the sheets we brought from home and the comfort of my boyfriend in the bed with me. needless to say, at about 2 am, i made some calls and booked a room for the rest of the week at the westin.

if you are coming to maui and dont want to spend any money for a hotel, you are much better off flying to santa monica or san diego, or booking something in cancun.

be warned. if you have allergies to dust, dander, cockroaches, mold, mildew or otherwise, stay far, far away from the royal lahaina. start saving your money months in advance to get a better hotel. if you are just looking for a simple place to rest your head at night, this would work.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2005

Went to the Royal Lahaina on our honeymoon on 11/25. When we arrived I told the receptionist at the front desk that it was our honeymoon and requested an upgrade and we were immediately upgraded to an ocean front cottage for the entire week. We also got a free bottle of champagne with our room which was modern and very clean.

The beach access at this hotel is fantastic. There are very few people using the beach at any given time so it is almost like your own private beach. Also we rented some snorkel equipment from a place in Lahaina and walked a little ways up the beach to a small but pretty reef for snorkeling. Also within walking distance from the Royal Lahaina is Black Rock which is one of the world's foremost snorkeling spots.

The food at the resort restaurant was pretty good and not too expensive for Hawaiian standards. We bought a package which offered free breakfast buffet each morning which I would recommend because the buffet costs $12.50.

There is a daily parking fee at the resort and an extra fee for using the room safe, but this is well advertised by the resort if you do ANY research at all so this was not a surprise and I had no issues paying the fees.

I have stayed at some of the busier south Ka'anapali resorts (Whaler and Ali'i) and I much prefer the slower pace and smaller crowds of the Royal Lahaina Resort. If you like hustle and bustle and fancy hotels with many frills, stay somewhere else, but if you like to get away from most of the crowds on vacation and have a nice play to stay, go to the Royal Lahaina.

One more thing, make sure to splurge a little for a cottage....it's vacation for goodness sake. You won't regret it.

Johnsburg, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2005

The Royal La Haina has very beautiful grounds and the one of the nicest beaches in the area. The hotel room, and we were in the old section was pretty bad. We too had a large roach or two but worse than that was the bathroom. There was quite a bit of mold on the ceiling and all around the shower area, which smelled pretty bad. We were only there for two days otherwise I would of asked to be moved. It was expensive for breakfast and lunch, so we only ate there twice. A small cheese burger was approx. $12.00. But what do you expect, you are in Maui. Overall, it was ok. and since we weren't paying that much for the room we just dealt with it. I hear the towers are much nicer to stay in, so ask for them instead.

One more thing, there were no elevators in the section were stayed in, so we had to drag our suitcases up 2 flights of stairs.

• Stayed January 2005
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2005

We stayed at the Royal Lahaina Hotel December 2002 for our honeymoon we arrived on New Years Eve. The hotel was great and the buffett breakfast was the best we'd ever had. Our room overlooked the ocean and we could see the whales jumping far out at sea - what a picture that was, something we'll never forget. The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful and it was easy to get around via the buses that were like old fashioned trams. The beach was gorgeous, although the sea's current could be quite strong at times. Maui as an Island had loads to keep us busy for the 11 days we were there. We cycled down Halaekala after watching the sunrise (early start though!), went deep sea kayaking and snorkeling. We also went to the Luau at the hotel - not our sort of food really but the entertainment was magnificent. We also went on the Sugar Train which was very reasonable. We booked our tours with Tom Bigfoot in Lahaina (a very pretty town) and they were extremely helpful.

• Stayed January 2003
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2004

We went with my wife to Maui for our honeymoon. (Dec 22-27) And the package I bought with United included the Royal Lahaina Resort.
Many people said I should have spent my dollars outside the US. And after this trip I know why.

Thank god I read the reviews and I knew about that $9/day parking before I arrived. Otherwise I would have been really pissed off. It's so stupid to be nickled if you already payed your hotel in advance. They give you a simple peace of paper that you have to put in your car. There is also not much space availiable in the parking lot, so you'll be lucky if you find one at night time.

I bet there are lots of people who don't even pay for it, and they use it, or they can even photocopy the damn piece of paper.

By thew time I arrive to the front desk the person said "Oh, Congratulations" in a lousy way that was hardly convincing. I mean, come on I just got married! I'm in Hawaii, where is the joy in this place?

I have a friend who is native from Hawaii, Oahu, he warned me that locals don't like tourists. Now I know why. The people at the front desk has a lousy service, they are so... so... relaxed that you have to repeat them twice so they can understand you. They simply don't seam to care much, unless you open your wallet and show some green bills (then you'll see their eyes shine)

The room was fine and clean. Just be sure you get the oceanfront room. It will assure you privacy, almost no noise at all plus an spectacular view of the Kanapalii Beach. They cleaned my room the 5 nights I stayed there so I have no complaints about that.

I liked the pools and I'm glad the managers were kind enough to invite us to a party when we had free drinks and barbecue.

The big problem is people. They are so snobish, that makes this place TERRIBLY BORING!! At night you don't see anything going on. Just a couple of guys playing Ukelele and some Hawaiian Songs in the Lounge while people (having drinks) barely applauded.

Frankly I don't see any Hawaiian Spirit in this place. Compare it to Playa del Carmen or Cancun. Maui blows when we talk about night life.
Don't even think about going to the Paradise Bluz Club (the worst place to dance and have drinks ever) Really I warn you.

Be sure to get drinks from the Lounge at the Resort, they made great Pina Coladas. $5.50 / each plus tips if you want them near the pool.

Food is extremely expensive. They have two lousy restaurants, Don The Beachcomber, and Basil Tomatoes. They both make sure to suck every penny for an average poor presented and not so tasty food. ($22 - $32 /plate)

Anyway we made the most of our honeymoon outside this place. We think Maui is very beatiful and definetly a place to visit. But Royal Lahaina Resort really needs better customer service.

Been to Royal Lahaina Resort? Share your experiences!