“Great Place, Awesome Beach!!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Lahaina Resort

You added Royal Lahaina Resort to your Saves list
Royal Lahaina Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2780 Kekaa Drive, Kaanapali Beach, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761   |
Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great Place, Awesome Beach!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2004

We had never been to Maui, so everything was new to us!! We were very pleased with everything!! The rooms are older, but give me a break, your not their to stay in the room. The service was perfect. We saved alot of money by staying there and got to do alot more things. The beach outside our balcony was a view to die for!!! I would definately stay here again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2004

We just got back from the Royal Lahaina yesterday. We stayed for a week and never had any problems. It was clean, comfortable, and everyone was friendly. The view from our room was beautiful...the beach, the ocean, the palm trees... We stayed in the "Tower" and couldn't hear the Luau, only the ocean. Yes, the decor is a little dated, but for the money you save, well worth the price. There is an extra charge for parking, but factor that in to the price and your still paying less than you would at the other major resorts in the area. One of the on-site restaurants, "Basil Tomatoes" serves excellent italian food! If money is no object to you, I'm sure you could find a nicer place to stay. If you're on a budget, the Royal Lahaina is a nice resort in a great location with a beautiful beach just a few feet away.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2004

Upon arrival we were upgraded to a cabin with no extra charge and no imput on our part. Very large and roomy. Cleaning service was good and prompt. Cockroaches are normal if you live in the south and not a hazard just funky. Ocassional sighting is all that was seen. Lack of recreational and exercise type rooms needed. Beach adequate along with pool.

Irvine, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2004

The Royal Lahaina seems like it was one of the best resorts in all of Kaanapali... about 15 years ago. And they really haven't done anything about it since then. They've kept up maintenance so that things mostly don't go wrong. No problems with water pressure or other maintenance issues. Most of the bad reviews I've read have all been about the Hale building anyways.

I was 11th Floor Ocean Front Tower, and the view was amazing!!! I read that hotels nowadays aren't even allowed to build above 10 floors anymore, so we really had a class-AAA view. Everything else about the hotel was... okay. Not bad. Not great. But then you could say that about the price I was paying, just in the middle. I mean, it's quite obvious to tell that it's an old hotel. But the room was clean, no bugs or mildew. The bed wasn't new, but it wasn't a hard rock either. Everything about it screams middle-level hotel. And it does have that "authentic" Maui charm. =)

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2004

The Royal Lahaina is adequate if you want to do Maui on the cheap. The property is old and that is reflected in the outdated decor and facilities. None of the three pools or the jacuzzi were acceptable by my standards. The beach was fine, but the waters a little rough during our stay. Initially we were offered a 3rd floor "garden" room overlooking the asphalt roof. When I asked for another room we were moved to one of the bungalows, which was clean and relatively spacious. We did not experience any problems with leaking water, although there was a slight musty smell in the room. By the second night (our last) the smell was barely noticable. The service was fine and the staff generally friendly. If this review seems bland, it is reflective of our stay. If I use Priceline again to book a hotel I will definitely opt for a "4" or better quality rating. In all fairness to the Royal Lahaina, my stay was on the tail end of a trip where the first four nights I stayed at the Fairmont Kei Lani.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2004

My husband and I just got back from our 4 day adventure to Maui. When we arrived it was raining and we realized that it was Maui, so "No Worries". We had read a lot of the reviews of the RL and I guess the only thing I can say is "Lighten UP" people. Our stay was very enjoyable and we loved all that the RL had to offer. Yes, the Luau was a little loud at times, but it's Maui, relax, at least it wasn't sirens. We have a condo in Kihei, and frequent Maui often, and we will recommend to those who can to try RL. What a great place to get away, relax and let the sun shine in!! I just think people need to lighten up and quit being so icky about the little things and find the blessings in each experience. Pay more, get more. Pay less and have more to spend on the other groovie things Maui has to offer.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2004

My husband and I just returned from a six night stay at the RL. I read ALL the reviews before I left and was SCARED TO DEATH! RL is NOT NOT NOT near as bad as the reviews make it seem.

First of all ... you are in MAUI ... so relax. No, RL is not the Ritz Carlton, it does not claim to be the Ritz Carlton and you are NOT paying Ritz Carlton prices ... so, do NOT expect the Ritz or you will be let down.

We stayed in an oceanfront cottage room and really enjoyed our stay. Yes, it is older and yes, it could use some renovations. However, the service was great, the view was amazing, the beach is really nice (all the surrounding resort beaches are just as narrow). We also had some bugs in our room BUT we were right on the beach ... so, I would expect a bug or two (we called the front desk and within 5 minutes someone came and sprayed and the issue was resolved).

We cannot speak for the tour rooms ... but, if you hve the extra money ... the oceanfront cottage views are amazing!

Please do not get nervous when you read all the negative reviews ... it is Maui ... enjoy yourselves and do not let a room's decor deter you from having fun in the most beautiful place on earth!

Been to Royal Lahaina Resort? Share your experiences!