“Couple retreat” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Lahaina Resort

You added Royal Lahaina Resort to your Saves list
Royal Lahaina Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2780 Kekaa Drive, Kaanapali Beach, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761   |
Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
San Jose, California
“Couple retreat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

My wife & I got away for a few days to Maui...If you want to get away & want peace & quite, this is a place for you. The hotel food was great for a few nights, the bar is good sized, prices are average but the beach was AMAZING! No crowd, felt private. No need to rent a car if you do not plan to explore the island. Shuttle & bus service was right there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Aloha Juan. Thank you for the review and positive feedback. Glad that we could assist you and your wife to enjoy a quick getaway to Maui. We will look forward to welcoming you back. Mahalo.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Our family just returned from a week in Maui. Our rooms at the Royal Lahaina were great. Very clean, well cared for, excellent service, good food, great Mai Tai's and a spectacular view from our lanai. We loved that the hotel was far enough away from the noisy area of some of the other hotels, but close enough to walk to shopping and dining. We snorkeled off the beach just outside the hotel and saw more fish (and turtles) than on our boat trip. Loved the evening entertainment and the free trolley was very convenient for the teens. We would definitely return. Thanks Royal Lahaina!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms higher than the 8th floor for best view and less noise.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Aloha Kerry. Thank you very much for the 5-Star rating. So glad that you and your family enjoyed the resort and your vacation. We hope we can welcome you back again very soon. Mahalo.
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

The rooms are clean, but the customer service is lacking. We had to wait 2 hours one morning just to get conditioner and body wash (because they forgot to replenish our stock the day before). The service at the ice cream/breakfast store attached to the resort is awful. They gave us snide remarks for asking for an extra bowl for our ice cream - that's after we spent money there every single day. With other options on the Lahaina side for about the same price, I don't think we'll be coming back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Aloha. Thank you for the feedback. Very sorry for the delays you encountered with regard to the replenishment of the in-room amenities and also for missing the mark in some other service aspects. I will be reviewing this further with our Housekeeping and Food & Beverage Team. Although we generally receive very favorable comments regarding our service, we are aware that constant diligence is required in order to assure each and everyone of our guests receives 5-Star service. I will contact you directly to review your experience and hope that we can regain your confidence as a return guest. Mahalo.
Port Orchard, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We were looking for a place that would give us the feeling and romance of what we have always imagined as Old Hawaii, the Royal Lahaina Resort was everything we had imagined and more. Right on the ocean, we fell asleep and awoke to the sound of ocean waves. Beautiful sunsets even while enjoying an evening cocktail at either of the oceanfront bars, nightly entertainment including the dancers that showed up at sunset each evening...just beautiful, quiet and peaceful. We have never been the high rise condo type of pleasure travelers, I get enough of that with my work.

The staff were extremely friendly, one day when asking for walking directions we were given a quick ride from one of the doormen. They had recommendations of popular and inexpensive spots to eat, checkout Aloha Mixed Plate across from the Cannery Mall. Used onsite Expedia Expert to book a full island helicopter tour and zipping at Camp Maui in Hiacu.

Went to the Old Lahaina Luau which is on site (held at the former Bob's Beachcomer), again everything we had imagined as Old Hawaii, very fun and entertaining. Will say that I was glad my husband insisted we get there early as recommended because the tour busses began arriving 30 minutes or so before the start and with all those guests we may not have been able to get such good seats.

We had an oceanfront cottage 2nd floor suite, full kitchen. The only disappointment I had was that none of the windows on the ocean side opened and the patio was on the backside of the suite which meant we could not sit out on our own deck to enjoy a cocktail or two while watching the sunsets. I did however enjoy sunrises over the mountains while sipping my coffee. Next time I will opt for the oceanfront cottage room which is on the 1st floor and has a patio facing the ocean.

p.s. it's not really an upgrade, complimentary or not, when you put me into a "2 BR at no charge" when you don't have any way to lock off the 2nd bedroom and there is no 1st bedroom (a hide-a-bed doesn't count as a bedroom...certainly not in a suite).

Overall, most enjoyable stay and we will be back. Hopefully, sooner rather than later!

Room Tip: Unless you need a full kitchen, get the oceanfront cottage room so that you can enjoy the sunsets fr...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha. Thank you for the great feedback and positive review. So glad that you were pleased with the traditional Hawaiian ambiance of the Royal Lahaina Resort and we were just what you were hoping for. We will look forward to welcoming you back soon. Mahalo.
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

This is an ok hotel with out dated accommodations. The whole place is in disparate need of a refresh. The location can't be beat. But the room airconditioners barely cool the room and are loud. Bed was lumpy, bathrooms were heavily worn. Swimming pools are boring and cold and there are no hot tubs on site. Chipped paint, broken tiles, awful pillows, rough sheets and keyed rooms that feel like you don't need the key to get in.

It's not exactly roughing it but it's clear they are billing rates based on their location rather than quality accommodations.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Aloha. Thank you for the feedback on your stay. I am glad to read that you did enjoy the location of the resort but sorry that our cottage accommodations did not meet your expectations. There are a wide variety of accommodation choices available here at the Royal Lahaina, from our cottage rooms and cottage family suites to fully renovated deluxe guestrooms and suites in our Lahaina Kai Tower. Our cottage units are considered a moderate level accommodation. For guests desiring a newer, modern and deluxe level of accommodation,our Tower rooms and suites recently underwent a $40 million dollar renovation and guests will find that these are amongst the nicest rooms you will find on the island. Photographs and descriptions of each room type can be found online and we encourage guests to review the various options available and select that which is most appropriate for their wishes and budget. Mahalo.
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We booked our week in Maui through Costco. I am glad we chose this resort. Overall we were very satisfied.

1. Location
The location is great.It's away from the "busy" areas but Lahaina Harbor is just 5-10 mins driving distance away and the Whaler Village is only 15 mins walking distance away. The resort grounds are very well kept and are beautiful. The beach is very clean and accessible.

2. Room
We had booked a tower room through our Costco package. At check-in we were informed that we had a room with one of the worst possible views in the resort. We were offered an upgrade to partial ocean view room at $50/day or Full Ocean View at $100/day. We chose the partial ocean view and it was the best decision we made. I highly recommend going for at least partial ocean view. It's worth it. Every day we would sip our morning coffee in the patio looking at the beach and the ocean. At night after dinner I used to just sit in the patio with my eyes closed and listen to the sound of the waves. It was very soothing.

The room itself was very spacious, clean, well decorated and had adequate amenities like a mini refrigerator and in-room safe. The only part I did not like was the bed. It had a very soft spring mattress that offered no support at all. One person getting in/out of the bed or just turning side ways would wake up the other person.

The room does not have the Internet but I did not miss it partially because I had a data plan on my smart phone. They do have free wi-fi in the lobby and couple of guest computers. So it's not a big deal.

3. The food
The only on-site restaurant we tried was Royal Ocean Terrace. We ate our breakfast there every day and had dinner couple of times. The breakfast may look bit expensive with $23/person, but it's a good value. When I am on a trip I load up during breakfast, skip lunch, snack up as needed and have early dinner. So having the breakfast in the hotel saves lot of time. The breakfast buffet menu was exactly same every day but had adequate options. There were fresh fruits (Papaya, Pineapple, Honeydew), canned fruits, different kinds of pastries and slice bread with spreads, oat meal, dry cereals, milk, bread pudding, omelet (veg & non-veg), egg Benedict, Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, pan cakes and fruit juices (OJ, POG and Pineapple). Plus they serve you coffee at the table.

For lunch and dinner the restaurant had very little options for Vegetarians. The hummus/pita and veg flat bread pizza were very good. The pasta topped with fried eggplant patties was just OK.

This restaurant also has free entertainment at night. I think it was the same singer/guitar player every day, but he was really good.

4. Staff
Everyone we encountered at the resort was super friendly and attentive. Every single time we had dinner/drinks in the restaurant the manager stopped by to check if were satisfied with the food and the service.

5. Parking
They charge $10/day for self parking and $15/day for valet. I did not like the charge for self parking. It was bit of work to find the parking every night. The spaces are really really narrow. I had trouble fitting in my Mazda 3, so that should give you an idea. I found that overflow lot behind the tennis courts was always empty but it's small walk back to the hotel.

6. Activities
The resort has 2 pools right next to the beach. There is a beach activity center where you can rent snorkeling gear, boogie boards etc and also get free beach towels. All the staff member in the beach activity center were super friendly and helpful. The rental prices were very reasonable as well. The snorkeling gear was $35/week, which was listed for $100/week in a nearby resort. They also have bocce ball, and several tennis courts. The conditions were rather windy and there were big surf most of the time during our stay. The beach right off the resort has a rather steep slope, so don't get into deep water unless you know how to swim. The beach was very clean and accessible 24 hours a day. You can't snorkel on the beach but you can walk to the black rock through the Sheraton and snorkel in the reef on the other side of the black rock. There is a golf course right behind the resort but I did not look into the details.

7. Facilities
We booked our submarine and snorkeling trips through the Expedia Local Experts office located on the premises. They were very helpful and their prices were reasonable. The local convenience store was well stocked and the prices were reasonable. We did not try the ice cream / coffee shop.

Here are couple of things I did not like.

1. We were there for our anniversary. We had mentioned it during reservation as well as at the check-in time. We did not get any special treatment or goodies. It's not a big deal at all, but don't bother asking if you are just going to ignore.

2. Bathroom doors. They slide into a cavity in the wall and they have a very tiny handle / locking gear. If you are not careful it's very easy to hurt yourself. On the second last day of our trip I got my right hand index finger caught between the door and the wall and lost a grain size piece of skin just under the nail. It's still hurting after one week.

3. The mattress. I hate spring mattresses and this one was way too soft. Every time you get in / out of the bed or turned on your side it would move a lot and also make annoying sound.

But these are minor issues. Overall staying in Royal Lahaina was a very positive response. We would happily stay here again but I will look for a deal on the rooms with better views.

Room Tip: Go for partial or full ocean view. It's worth it.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Aloha. Thank you very much for the informative and positive review. Happy to know that overall you were very pleased with your choice of the Royal Lahaina and would like to return. Many of our guests visit Hawaii for special occasions and we truly enjoy the opportunity to provide special courtesies to help celebrate these events. So, I am very sorry and apologize that we missed the chance to do so for your Anniversary. I will be sure contact you directly to assist you with information on deals on our view rooms for your future visit. Mahalo.
Gainesville, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We had an overall really good experience at the Royal Lahaina Resort. We opted for a garden cottage room that overlooked the Kaanapali Golf Course. Our room was nice and comfortable. We don't spend a lot of time at the resorts we stay at but our encounters we had with the staff were all positive. I had read reviews on the cottages so I more or less knew what to expect. I asked upon check in about the cottages and Stephanie at the front desk was very helpful and told us to check it out and if we didn't feel like it was for us to let her know and she would be happy to upgrade us to the recently renovated tower. We were pleased with our cottage and enjoyed it for our 8 day stay in Maui. We enjoyed the convenience it had to the beach, the beach walk, Whalers Village and anything we needed at the resort. We particularly like feeling secluded from the rest of the resort. It was quiet and peaceful. We only ate once at the breakfast buffet and were not too impressed so did not return to eat at the main restaurant. We did eat dinner one evening at Basil and Tomatoes, one of the resorts restaurants, and turned out to be rather delicious. The service was outstanding and wait staff was very attentive. Kaanapali Beach is fabulous and the resort is conveniently situated right in the heart of it. The stay pleased us for the value.

Room Tip: I would choose a garden cottage over an ocean cottage because they seem to be more quiet and seclude...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha Stephanie. Thank you very much for the feedback on your stay and all of the favorable comments. So happy to read that you were pleased with your cottage accommodations and the service you received at the resort. I will be sure to pass your kind mention of our Stephanie along to her. We hope we can welcome you back again in the future. Mahalo.

Been to Royal Lahaina Resort? Share your experiences!