“Good with with one major flaw” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Lahaina Resort

Save Saved
You added Royal Lahaina Resort to your Saves list
Royal Lahaina Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2780 Kekaa Drive, Kaanapali Beach, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761   |
Offers & Announcements
$169 (USD)
Ranked #19 of 29 hotels in Lahaina
Adelanto, California
“Good with with one major flaw”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

Royal Lahaina

The room was nice. The view was spectacular. I wouldn't classify this as a "resort" unless you come there for the tennis. It seems to be a great place for that. Thankfully we had a rental car. So many guests didn't realize all of the restaurants, entertainment and shops were miles away on Front Street. If you want something to eat after 10 pm you had better book something in Lahaina. We met several couples frustrated that they were "stuck" on the resort property when they were hungry/bored at night.
If you have a rental car, they try to rope you into valet parking by making the self parking horrible. The spaces are SO narrow you that've to let your passenger out before you park so you can be on the extreme right side of your space to give you enough room on the left for the driver to SQUEEZE out.
Each night we would return to the hotel about 8:30pm. We would have to park in a lot almost 300 yards away from the entrance. All that while their "valet lot" sits closest to the entrance and sits 1/2 to 2/3 EMPTY every night. How frustrating to have to look at that as you carry things for 300 yards. At check out I, I told the gentleman @ the desk "that although we enjoyed our room, the atrocious parking situation will force us to go to another resort on our next visit." No nearby late night food options was also a a significant factor in our decision to not return to this place. After my statement, the desk clerk replied, "Yeah, we get that complaint a lot." He went on to explain how he drives a larger vehicle... So he just takes two spaces. WHAT?
I can't believe the city/county/state (whoever sets those regulations in Maui) allows such narrow parking stalls. That could NEVER happen in most places on the mainland. They have ordinances/ standards for parking spaces. I guess that isn't the case there.

Not a bad place... Just not a good one.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Aloha Bill. Happy to read that you enjoyed your room accommodations and the view. In terms of amenities, aside from the world-class Tennis Ranch, some of the other features of the resort include: adjacent to the two championship 18 hole golf courses; fronting the #1 Beach in America (as selected in the 2013 Tripadvisor Traveler Choice Awards); a nightly Hawaiian Luau; two full service restaurants; complimentary nightly entertainment; and massage services. as you have indicated historical Lahaina Town with its many restaurants, bars, galleries and shopping opportunities is located approx. 3 miles south of the Kaanapali Resort area. Mahalo.

2,379 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
Mission Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

When i arrived at the resort i was immediately taken with the teak wood, laidback, Girl From Iponema vibe. I came here solo for my 40th bday, so a smaller more quaint hotel was important. I had previously booked an ocean view room but upon check in i was upgraded to a deluxe ocean view room on the 9th floor. Both room and views were beautiful. I came right before holiday rush, which allowed me to enjoy a virtually empty beach and no crowds at hotel. The beach let me say, unreal!! I made sure i went everyday. The restaurant had great shrimp tacos and mahi, the breakfast was just average. I found the Royal Trading Co. to be a fav. I got my breakfast and late night snacks there most days... So convenient and great for those wanting to save some. The trolley was also easy but i still enjoyed the beach walk to Whaler's Village. I found the resort to be quite self contained.. If you're one to be on the go most days its close enough to other sites. If you're wanting to stay at resort more, the grounds have enough to offer. I kept thinking that at any moment, Elvis was going to come out of the water is his too short trunks to serenade me..thats sums up the feel of this lovely hotel. It has a tangible and relaxed quality that more ritzy hotels lack.The only real complaint was it took me an average of ten times for my key card to work??

• Stayed January 2013
Aloha. Thank you very much for the 5-Star rating. So happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and particularly the traditional Hawaiian ambiance of the resort. I have forwarded your comments regarding the key card issues on to our Front Office Managers and Engineering Team so that they can follow up on that. Mahalo!
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

The Royal Lahaina feels like a small hotel but has the benefits of a larger hotel. The staff are excellent, the location right on a beautiful unspoilt and quiet beach is amazing. The room ahs been timelessly decorated and are very comfortable. Their Luau is recognised as an event to not miss. They even have a special Royal experience where Luau, sunset cruise and breakfasts are included. Well recommended. I would definitely stay here again. My only beef would be the breakfasts are fairly limited and it would be nice to have wifi in the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up on the south side for the better views although the north has the peaceful...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Aloha Warren. Thank you very much for the 5-Star rating. Glad that you enjoyed the intimate feel of the resort and the many amenities available. Our Royal Experience package is definitely one of our most popular and best value packages. For breakfast we offer several options at the resort, including a full American buffet and various ala carte selections in the Terrace Restaurant. Our Royal Scoop outlet also offers lighter continental style breakfast options ranging from specialty coffees, to pastries, fruit salads, yogurt and breakfast sandwiches. Full menu's for the Terrace Restaurant can be found under the "Dining" tab on our website. Mahalo.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

My husband and I went to Maui for our honeymoon in 2010 and stayed at the Royal Lahaina Resort. This year when we were planning to go again, it was an easy choice. We'd stay at the same hotel. It's what you picture when you think of Hawaii. The ocean is a small walk away. If you want a real Hawaiian feel, stay here.

I know they have cottages, but we never stayed in one. We stayed in the tower both times. The first was an ocean view. It was beautiful. We saw the sunset every night. The second time, we stayed in a partial ocean view had the view of the ocean, where the sun set, and the West Maui Volcano. I can't decide, which is better.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha. So glad to read that you were equally pleased with your stay the 2nd time around. We hope that we can welcome you back for many years to come. Mahalo.
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Stayed here for a week with my dad and my teenage nephews. We upgraded to a two room suite upon arrival. The view and beach is totally awesome. Kaanapali rules. The food is weighed in the balance and found wanting. Think about this owners, I ate there once and due to bad food went elsewhere thereafter. Spending $200 to $300 every time, Spruce up the breakfast buffet. It's semi lame!! Would have loved to dine at the hotel. Seems it's a business decision, go to Oahu for inspiration. A dinner buffet would be totally awesome. PEOPLE WANT TO EAT GREAT FOOD ON VACATION! GET WITH THE PROGRAM! Would have spent 1.5k more if you had the services. Ah well.

Stayed December 2013
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Aloha. Glad to read that you enjoyed Kaanapali (voted #1 beach in America in the 2013 Tripadvisor Traveler's Choice Awards). Sorry to read that our food services were not to your liking. For those who would like an advance preview, detailed menu's of the bountiful selection of hot and cold items offered on our breakfast buffet and the wide variety of ala carte options available for lunch and dinner at our Terrace Restaurant can be found under the "Dining" tab on our website. Mahalo.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

This was our 4th year in a row to the RLR! We can't wait to go back. My only complaints...
1) No Free wifi in the rooms. Offering it in the lobby (first time this year) sucks. I come to get away not to have to constantly walk through crowds sitting around staring at their screens! The wifi is so slow it's not even worth attempting to use it.
2) My other complaint is wash cloths. Buy more... we pay an arm and a leg to stay there. We should not have to ask for them....
4) A resort of this size should have some exercise equipment available to guests (at no charge). Smaller hotels have them...why not the RLR?
3) It would also be nice if there were some perks for repeat guests. Especially when we've been so many times.
Other than that I wish I could afford to come twice a year...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Aloha. Thank you very much for the 5-Star rating and for making the Royal Lahaina your resort of choice on Maui for the past four years! Our internet service is currently under review, as recently we have received a lot of feedback regarding this. Several enhancements to our internet service are currently being implemented and discussed. At this time guests of Royal Lahaina enjoy discounted rates to the Valley Isle Fitness Center, the area’s best health club, gym and personal training facility, which is located at the entrance of our resort. Although it is not currently available, we are also at looking to add some exercise equipment on site for complimentary guest use. I will follow up directly with you regarding our perks for repeat guests. This is something that is available, and we will see if we can help you in getting back to Maui twice each year! Mahalo.
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

We stayed with a toddler in the first week of December. Our experience is some positive and some negative.

The location, easy access to the beach, reasonably priced breakfast buffet, well maintained pool area, great LUAU performers, and other aminities available are on the positive side.

Quite a bit of negative too. The shower force is like a jet stream. I asked them to fix it, they sent some folks who said its by design!!??. Beware if you are travelling with a baby or toddler.

The shower drenches the whole bathroom including toilet. Again the feedback about this to the reception was received with neither seriousness nor a satisfactory response.

One day we made the mistake of going to the dinner to the hotel restaurant. Very little menu items for vegetarians. The French fries we ordered were ok. The veg pizza we ordered were the worst I have eaten in my life. The pizza from pizza hut will be a meal from heaven compared to that.

Also their well famed and well advertised LUAU food was so bland,, we had to go outside to eat again.

I found the bunch of jobless valet folks passing comments on the customers and looking very unprofessional like a third world country folks.

I suspect that this hotel posts lots of positive fake reviews here to boost ratings. So I am also going to post this review in expedia.

For the money I paid its not worth it, check out other hotels in the area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Aloha. Very glad that you were pleased with the location, our luau performers and many other amenities of the resort. I am surprised to read the comments regarding our bell/valet associates. Usually we receive incredibly positive feedback regarding guest interactions with these ladies and gentleman, including their informative nature and sharing of Aloha Spirit. We consider websites like Tripadvisor to be helpful tools which assist us in monitoring and improving our guest satisfaction levels. Although we are diligent in reviewing and responding to guest feedback, and encourage guests to post their reviews for other potential visitors, I can assure you that the Royal Lahaina Resort has never posted a fake review on this or any other traveler review site. Mahalo.

Been to Royal Lahaina Resort? Share your experiences!