“Better than expected” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Lahaina Resort

Save Saved
You added Royal Lahaina Resort to your Saves list
Royal Lahaina Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2780 Kekaa Drive, Kaanapali Beach, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761   |
Ranked #19 of 29 Hotels in Lahaina
Sydney, Australia
“Better than expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Arrived late in the arvo room ready. Originally ocean view room. However when we checked in they offered us a suite but it would only be ready the following morning. At a very discounted price we accepted. The ocean view room was great. Clean and very good views. Later that night we had a call to say the suite was ready. Wow 360 degree views. Lounge room with tv. Big bathroom and very spacious bedroom with another TV. Balcony with ocean view off the bedroom. Same for the lounge room.

If the offer of a suite is there at a good price. Do it. You will love it.

Also do the luau which is in the resort grounds. $75 each. Plenty buffet food to choose from and wonderful show

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for the 5-Star Review! Glad that you enjoyed the suite, we feel they are some of the finest rooms available on the island. Mahalo for the positive review on our luau, we have recently refreshed our luau grounds and our Polynesian Show and are receiving great feedback from visitors. Mahalo!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
new castle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We recently returned after staying two weeks at the Royal Lahaina Resort. We have stayed there numerous times before, taking our parents with us to this resort. We have many wonderful memories. Now that all our parents are deceased, we made this trip and it was like we came home. Everyone was as hospitable as we remembered and this resort reminds us of a truly Hawaiian experience. We enjoyed reminiscing with Gilbert, who has been there for 47 years. Everyone was friendly and willing to help. The trolley will take you to the other hotels and Whalers Village. Thank you to the manager Steve and staff for a "royal" visit!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha! So happy to read that we have been a part of many happy memories for you over the years. We look forward to welcoming you back for years to come. Mahalo!
Wailuku, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Royal Lahaina Resort is, in my estimation, the most relaxing, intimate and aloha-infused property on Maui. Our family takes most of our "Staycations" at the RL because the staff makes everyone feel like family. We enjoy hanging out with the visitors by the pool. It seems everyone at the RL has the right kind of island groove, regardless of where they're from. The breakfast buffet is fresh and delicious and the "pool burger" is literally the best I've ever had. I'm not sure why some reviewers think Airport Beach (North Ka'anapali) is any windier than other beaches on Maui. The afternoon winds always whip up after 1:00 and then wind down again after 4:30. There are a few coves beaches which may be exceptions. The beach is quiet and endless, with gorgeous, clear water---the most abundant and active whale "show" on the island--and excellent snorkeling at both ends. The beach side shuffleboard and petanque courts add to the fun, interactive feel of the grounds. I've stayed at every resort on this island, and I've never felt deeper and more authentic aloha than at the Royal Lahaina Resort.

Room Tip: Tower rooms are swankier....cottages are basic, roomy and very "homey".
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! The enjoyment you experience at the Royal Lahaina is exactly what we wish for all of our guests. It is so nice to read such positive comments about our resort from a local resident of Maui, who is very familiar with the island and it's many diverse offerings. We are happy to be your favorite and greatly appreciate your support. Aloha & Mahalo!
Alicante
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I would agree that this resort is very windy, but still enjoyed our week there. Our cottage was clean and comfortable, although we would have preferred one king bed to 2 queen beds, which are never quite big enough. Plenty of hot water and bathroom very clean. There was only one restaurant, which we felt was rather expensive (although this is Hawaii, I know). There was a free bus to the shops at Whaler's Village, although only 10 minutes' walk, where there was a Subway/pizza house/fish and chips. We used this a few times. There was a bus into Lahaina town for $2, the town was very interesting, and busy, but the last bus returned at 8.30pm, and everything closes! This seems to be OK for Americans (what do they do in the evenings?), but for we Europeans, the evening is only just starting then.
I had emailed the resort to say this trip was for my partner's 80th birthday, and could they do anything special for him? Their reply was to send me a wine list, and suggest I buy him a bottle of wine (average price $80)! That wasn't quite what I had in mind! Compare this with our next hotel on Big Island. However, notwithstanding this, we had a great week, no complaints about the resort, although we didn't use many of the facilities. This was my 4th and my partner's 2nd visit to Hawaii, and our last, but I would recommend the hotel, as long as you have plenty of cash and don't mind early to bed. Oh yes, the luau was excellent, if rather too big, but the food and entertainment were both brilliant.

Room Tip: Cottages are "different" from usual hotel rooms, and have nice terraces, although ours did...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Aloha and thank you for the positive review on your recent stay! As you mention, most of the shops, galleries and restaurants in Lahaina and on Maui generally close around 10pm. There are restaurants and bars which are open later into the evening, but Maui definitely does not offer the same type of late night experience that one might find in larger cities and perhaps in your home country of Spain. Sorry for miscommunication regarding the birthday wishes for your partner. We love to help guests celebrate their special occasions and are more than happy to provide a special courtesy amenity in doing so. Mahalo!
Okotoks, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Wow where do we start.. Before I talk about our experience just to note it is windy in this location. Some of the other hotels are built to block the wind but this one is not
When we got there the Cottage we paid for was not the one we got. That is never a good start as to not get the room you thought you were getting. It was very windy there and we my daughter and I entered the room 15 min after checking in, the door slammed on my daughters finger. It was very badly hurt and she was lucky not to loose the nail right then. The maintenance staff was there as our toilet was leaking and called security for my daughter. We were and still are very Disappointed in how the management handled this. I had to really get upset with them over all that was going on at the time to get the room or cottage we were originally supposed to have. The one we paid for not a musty stinky dirty and no proper beds for the girls to sleep on room. It was disgusting and I can't believe they are renting that cottage out without being cleaned etc. We did finally get the cottage that we were to have and they apologized for my daughter getting hurt and told us what doctor to go see. That was it no other concern for her. Also during our stay a water line broke and there was water all over the grounds. That is very unfortunate for them as it is a big deal to fix and clean up. What bothered us was that we had no water in our cottage (understandably) BUT the staff did not inform us that we would have no water and did not provide us in the cottages with any information as to what was happening or even a room to have a shower etc. Not what we would call professional or even courteous to the guests. That night the Luau was cancelled and we had tickets. They did not call to inform anyone about this. As guests showed up they told them it was cancelled and they could then make other arrangements. A lot of people we not happy at how this was handled.

The place was alright. We staying in a cottage that would get mold in the tubs every 3rd day and we would have to ASK the cleaning staff to clean the tub. The hide a bed we were told was a new one BUT it was not and the mattress was so lumpy and springs poking out. The best part for us was having 2 bathrooms as we had our teenage daughters with us. The grounds were nice and the pools small and cold. I really would not say that is a great beach as it sloped down to the water and the water is very rough there. You could not take a nice walk on the beach as it was sloped so much. This hotel does NOT provide beach loungers and umbrellas as others do.

The beach walk was great and used a lot from early morning joggers to late evening coming back from meals or shopping it was always busy.

We did have a good time in Maui. We would not stay in this area again though.

Room Tip: Remember a Cottage is a Cottage not a fancy hotel room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Aloha. Although it varies and at times it can be windy, generally we experience pleasant Trade Winds here in Kaanapali with average wind speeds ranging from 11 - 15 mph year round. I can assure all that the most important concern of our resort Management and Staff is guest safety, security and welfare. In this particular situation, which I have reviewed today, our Security Personnel responded immediately, provided initial assistance for the injury that was sustained and advised where additional medical treatment could be obtained. I have no doubt that the officers who responded assisted in a professional, concerned and caring manner. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the water main break which occurred in February. Our Engineering Department worked diligently with the County Water Officials to repair the pipe and restore water to our cottage rooms within a few hours. We were very proud of the efficiency in which they were able to restore normal service to our guests. Mahalo.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Valet service excellent. Staff very friendly. Suite was wonderful. Had a fantastic view fron the two decks. Very comfortable. Maid service had problems. Floor was very sticky, maids came up and cleaned resdue left from double side tape on marble floor left feom previous guest in a wheel chair. Towels and coffee were not fully restocked. When I called the front desk the problems were resolved.
Except for the maid service everything else was very good.

• Stayed March 2013
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Aloha! Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. Glad to read that you enjoyed the resort and accommodations. I will be sharing your review with our Housekeeping Department, so that we can continue to strive for improvement and excellence in all areas of service. Mahalo.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was told to check out TripAdvisor about the hotel I had booked, Royal Lahaina Resort. I read alot of negative remarks and was so worried traveling so far away and saving for our dream vacation. We arrived and It I said to myself, "ever again will I believe everything I read"....I am convinced there are just negative people and nothing is every going to please them. Royal Lahaina was just wonderful, wonderful service, very quiet (we were on the 9th floor, ocean view). How amazing to leave our balcony door open at night and awake to only the sound of the waves hitting the shore. We had asked for more towels to be put in our room every day and I never had to remind them. they were great towels by the way. The beds were awesome, so very confortable! The breakfast buffet was one we looked for each day, it had a wide variety of things for everyone. We paid for valet parking and had prompt service. I thought very reasonable, $21 per day gave us valet parking and 2 mai tai each day. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. The only thing I was displeased was the day I had to leave!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the 5-Star rating and the very kind review. We are thrilled every time we hear that we helped our guests fulfill their expectations of a dream vacation. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future! Aloha!

Been to Royal Lahaina Resort? Share your experiences!