“stay in the towers” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Lahaina Resort

Save Saved
You added Royal Lahaina Resort to your Saves list
Royal Lahaina Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2780 Kekaa Drive, Kaanapali Beach, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761   |
Ranked #19 of 29 Hotels in Lahaina
Moss Beach, California
“stay in the towers”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed in the ocean veiw inn and the accommodations were not bearable. The view was great but the room was not in any condition to stay. The bed was something we burned in the 60's. Each spring could be felt and the care of the room was like the bed. I'm sure if you stayed in the new towers of the resort you would be very satisfied. The location of the Royal Lanaina is great; the beach is excellent and restaurant has great service and the food is excellent.

Room Tip: Stay in the towers; its the newer section. most rooms have a great view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Rainier, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed in an ocean front cottage...enjoyed our Groupon complimentary breakfast buffet, parking, and Luau. You can walk to good snorkelig at Black Rock or the beach in front of the Westin. Swimming in the moring is wonderful...afternoon tradewinds are great to cool you off but too strong to enjoy snorkeling. Snorkel early...seista noonish (Hawaiin time) to 4pm...enjoy the sunset on the beach walk...perfect. :)

Room Tip: The ocean front cottages provide the most privacy and are close enough to all facilities.
Dunstable, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Undoubtedly the best feature of this hotel is the location. Set literally on one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen, the white sand, blue sea and the view of molokai and lanai in the background make for absolutely stunning scenery!

As for the hotel itself we were overall very happy with our stay and the staff. We stayed in room 3002 on the 3rd floor of the tower. Not much of a view but I guess it could be worse if some of the other reviews are acurate. The room was clean and had all the usual amenities. Room service was very good, they noticed we were using a lot of towels so left us plenty, and extra shower gel when we requested it. The bed was very comfortable.

The restaurant was ok and a fair price for Maui, very generous portions. Breakfast was $21 for the buffet which was pretty good with plenty of selection. The other items on the menu were quite pricey so probably better to go for the buffet by the time you have drinks etc.

Staff were pleasnt enough although I wouldn't say that any of them went out of their way to talk to us or showed that much interest in us.

The only small negative we had was at check in. The check in clerk noticed we were on honeymoon and suggested we might want to upgrade for $118 per night! When we declined he put a bit of pressure on saying if we say no we cant change our mind as someone else will probably take it! We were a bit disappointed as the previous hotel in our trip upgraded us for free and this one tried to pressure us to pay around $800 for one!

Overall we thought the hotel was good value and the location absolutely blew us away!

Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My Husband and I booked a trip through Costco for a week stay here for our honeymoon.
The hotel was nice, we had a partial ocean view. Pineapple water waiting to greet you at the entrance.
Our package included the breakfast buffet, I thought it was very filling. Lots of fresh fruit, however if it isnt included in your hotel package I wouldn't spend the money on it. There is a nice little coffee shop attached to the hotel that I would highly recommend instead.
The one downside to the hotel is there is no beach side lounging. It is very steap and no lounge chairs. There is however a small pool with lounge chairs, but it is not the same. Also there is no workout facility and no spa, which was kind of a bummer.
The hotel itself is in a good location, the staff is friendly, and the hotel (towers) were clean.
It was a decent place to stay especially with the Costco deal.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Kenosha, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I recently stayed at the Royal Lahaina resort in Maui for 8 days. This was our first time to Maui, which by the way is gorgeous. The weather for late October was humid, but hey you’re on vacation and not in the snow, so no complaints. We had booked our entire trip through Delta (DL) vacations which we always do. DL vacations packages are usually the nicer rooms. Not at the Royal Lanaina. Generally I’m pretty easy going and don’t write reviews. Also, knowing that we didn’t pay the top range for our room so wasn’t expecting too much. Nor did we look the lowest. But I have to commitment on a few things. Also I’m already planning a trip back to Hawaii, at another, nicer hotel. Would not return to this hotel as there are too many nicer ones to choice from.

The male clerk that checked us in had no personality. Not once during the check-in process did he smile or look at us. Upon checking in I told him this was our first time to Hawaii and to see if he could find us a nice room. To be honest I can’t help but wonder if this is where we went wrong. When we got to our room I was shocked to find that it couldn’t have been anything but the worst room in the tower. Our view was of the hotels roof with numerous satellite disks, and generators smack dead in front of our balcony. No view and very loud.

I know we didn’t book the top range for rooms, but really? Makes you wonder what the bottom range rooms are like. I immediately went back down and the male clerk that had checked us in saw me coming and walked away to a back room. So a woman that was working came to help be, again no eye contact or a smile. I felt like I was bothering her. I asked her if we could be moved to a better room and even said we would pay for an upgrade if needed. She very rudely told me that we got what we paid for. I told her nowhere on DL website do they say that we were paying to look at satellite disks, that they sated we would be on the 4 or 5th floor, nothing about the third. Again, was told we got what we paid for very rudely. Another woman finally did step in and offered to find us a better room the following day, but we would have to stay there for the night. So the next day we were moved to a better room that I don’t think the air worked as it should. You shouldn’t be in your room sweating. I guess we didn’t pay for air condition either. When I again approached the front desk about an upgrade I was told they were full and they were unable to move us. No one came to fix ac either.

Pros; room was clean, beach and hotel grounds clean. Very quiet.

Cons; very rude employees, so don’t expect smiles or eye contact. When they are done talking to you even though you are still talking, they turn or walk away. Don’t expect towels, you only get 2 large towels, one hand towel and one wash cloth. Had to request towels on the weekend as we weren’t left any. Drinks were terrible, if the bar tender can stop talking to make. Needs major updating. I felt like I had stepped back in time to the 60’s. Needs better lights in sink area of room. Bell hops can’t be bothered to help you with luggage either. Boardwalk to Whalers Villiage needs better lighting at night. Rooms to hot. Fans in hallways would be nice as they are hot and stuffy.

Loved Maui and can't wait to return. Sorry for the long review. Hope it helps, and good luck!

Room Tip: Stay away from 3rd floor rooms. Had a 4th floor room that was hot, but ok overlooking cottages. Upgr...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Fontana, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I booked our first trip ever.I decided to go with a beach front bungalow,instead of the hotel.I am glad I asked..It was nice to be able to get up and walk to the beach from our patio,it was breath taking,and hearing the ocean waves all night just put a loving smile on my husbands face..that he will cherish forever.we will indeed go back to the Royal Lahaina Resort..for our next stay thank you for the Loving memories.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed here for five nights for our honeymoon in the tower on the 10th floor, absolutely incredible! The view is amazing and the beach is just perfect! For the price, we were expecting less, but this property is very clean, service is beyond exceptional, and the restaurant was very good (not too expensive by Maui standards). Will def. stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Royal Lahaina Resort? Share your experiences!