“I'll go back no matter what everyone else has to say...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Lahaina Resort

You added Royal Lahaina Resort to your Saves list
Royal Lahaina Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2780 Kekaa Drive, Kaanapali Beach, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761   |
Ranked #19 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
A TripAdvisor Member
“I'll go back no matter what everyone else has to say...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2003

After reading may of the reviews, I was a little worried about staying at the Royal Lahina, maybe some of the bad things people had to say have been corrected. We had a lovely view, a nice clean room, no bugs were found!! The only bad thing I have to say is--one of the waiters was a little unfriendly, but all of the other employees more than made up for it with their hospitality. I would definately stay there again. P.S. the beach is beautiful!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
West Bend, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2003

I and my husband stayed here from September 27 until October 3. After reading reviews before going I was expecting something bad. The resort is old but that was not a problem. Everyone was very curtious and friendly. We had a room in the Hale building - don't know why people think this is out of the way. Can't they walk? It keeps it quieter except on the luau nights but whats the big deal? The bar and pool area was great - spent a lot of time chatting with the bar tenders and other guests. We would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone. Mahalo.

• Stayed September 2003
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2003

You know, the hotel is old. It leaves a lot to be desired if you are used to a higher quality place. But truth be, you are in MAUI- who cares?!?! The beds were clean, the shower worked- and really that is all you need while in MAUI- who stays in their room anyways?? We stayed 7 nights in the Hilo tower, 3rd floor, (if you don't mind stairs- this is worth it) had an ocean view that was breath taking! It was more than worth the price if you aren't expecting too much.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2003

WE just returned from the Royal Lahaina Resort ( Sept 2003)and I feel you should take a second look at booking reservations at this hotel.
Four of us reserved two rooms, garden view...when we got there after traveling 21 hours, we had to wait and talk to the manager to have rooms in the main hotel, instead of the older three story building behind the tall hotel you see on the website. The front desk "customer service" representative was rude and wanted to argue with us, dispite our calm conservation and display of the reservation confirmation.
After our situation was discussed with the manager, we received a room that faced a very noisy hotel entrance, which included the garbage truck picking up the trash and cars coming and going, as well as the terrific view of the roof top...oh yea...a little ocean view between the buildings. We could hear running water through the walls when others in the next room took showers & also, heard conversations of anyone walking down the hall. Needless to say this influenced our entire stay. We paid $12.00 a day for parking, safe use & daily coffee, and the abilty to make local phone calls, We asked for an extended checked out time due to a late flight leaving the island and received- a very rude- no. The parking spots are extremely narrow & on the nights there is a Luau at the hotel- parking spots are hard to find. We did not receive very good service at the breakfast buffet, as the waitress was grumpy, didn't smile and acted as if we were a hindrance to her to show us to our table. HOWEVER, we did enjoy a late evening pizza from the restaurant, it was good. The person manning the outside pool shack that gives you your towels, was friendly & did offer tips for were the best spots to snorkel & dive were. The spa staff was excellent & quite customer service orientated. The building is an older building, quite quaint; really, if the personnel had better "person skills"- it would not have been a bad place to stay. Lahaina Resort needs Customer Service training. Beware, if this is important to you, have them give you exact descriptions & details when making a reservation- or what you think is clear turns out to be something eles you may be unhappy with.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2003

On August 29, 2003 I married the love of my life in Maui at the Royal Lahaina Resort on Kaanapali Beach. Not only was it the perfect destination wedding for myself and my new husband, but for all 40 guests who traveled to celebrate our special day. My accomodations were excellent ! I had the most beautiful suite called The Alii Room and the service of all the hotel personal was amazing. My wedding coordinator Debbie Mauga and wedding photographer Battina Antle, were the 2 people responsible for my incredible and flawless wedding ceremony and reception. Every guest was impressed with the resort, food and service of the staff at The Royal Lahaina Resort. Robyn Freeman

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2003

Stayed at the Royal Lahaina in Jule with my fiance and her 14 year-old daughter and we had a great time. Yes it's old, but it's no hole either. Booked through PHH and was talked into booking the Hale building because it was renovated recently and the rooms are bigger.
When we checked in, all those rooms were taken so they put us in the main building with a partial ocean view. Small room, but clean. We ended up really liking being in the main bldg so we could walk right out to the pool and VERY nice beach. I've been to Hawaii about 20 times and I liked the funky, kind of old-school feel here. Not a huge impersonal resort where you feel guilty for walking through the lobby with wet sandy feet. Okay food at the bar. Luau was okay, good and plenty food but cramped quarters.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2003

I just got back from my honeymoon on Sep 19. We booked our stay at the Royal Lahaina after reading all the bad reviews. So of course I was very worried. We loved a lot about the resort. The beach was beautiful and the luau was great. It was very clean and there was no cockroaches like I had read about. You get what you pay for here. It is no Sheraton. I loved the tranquility of the hotel and the beach. I also loved how it was a couple of minutes from great restaurants and shops and about five minutes from Lahaina. The food was pretty good too. My only complaint is that most of the restaurant service were not too friendly. We dealt with a lot of grumpy people. That was very disappointing. I would go back again for the great location, the beautiful beach, and the peaceful,relaxing atmosphere.

Been to Royal Lahaina Resort? Share your experiences!