“Favorite Stay in Maui Yet” 5 of 5 stars

You added Napili Surf Beach Resort to your Saves list
50 Napili Place, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761   |
Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Favorite Stay in Maui Yet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

I didn't know what to expect when I booked it, and made my decision primarily based on other Tripadvisor reviews, I was not disappointed. The grounds are immaculate and the office staff and employees were very nice and extremely helpful to us. Like others have stated there is nothing particularly amazing when you first arrive, there are certainly "fancier places" you could choose to stay. However, the rooms are very clean and home like, the location is superb, and the staff and grounds are excellent. We stayed in a studio Garden View room and I think I would honestly prefer it to an ocean view in this case. The Garden View rooms in the Puamala building were my favorite as far as being more secluded and a little more private than those closest to the beach. The entire time we were there the pool was like a personal pool and there is a very small walk to be on the beach and Napili Bay which is just amazing in and of itself. Just steps from our room we were able to snorkel with turtles everyday we went. The management hosted a cultural celebration and Mai Tai night which was very nice and worth our time, and on Fridays they serve coffee and breakfast items, they seem to take care of owners and guests very well. You are a short drive to Kaanapali Beach and Front Street but far enough away if all of the hustle going on there isn't your thing you don't need to get involved. Several days we walked along the Kapalua Coastal Trail leaving from our room and that was very enjoyable. I will definitely stay here on my next trip to Maui. Personally Napili and specifically Napili Surf is the place for me.

Room Tip: The Puamala Garden View Studios were quiet and more secluded if that is what you are looking for. Yo...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Sherwood Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

I have lost count of how many times I have visited this slice of heaven but it is probably somewhere around nine or ten. Typical of resort areas, this is a condo/rental property and you will find two things in common with all of them. The first is that individual rooms can vary in terms of renovations. The second is that you are almost guaranteed to find a mix of owners with renters. Personally, I have always enjoyed that interaction but admittedly, sometimes owners can give the impression that they are looking down at the renters and consider them more of a nuisance. This trip as always, we met some terrific owners. Great folks that hide their wealth so skillfully that you would be forgiven for taking them as part of the army of staff that care for the property on a daily basis.

There are two basic parts of Napili Surf, Ocean View and Garden View. The first is really self explanatory so I will address the second. This separate part of the complex, looks out over its own pool and private gardens. All the rooms face to the back of the Ocean View suites however, they are hidden behind a massive organic screen. This makes the Garden Suites appear to be in their own separate space and time. From experience, these rooms tend to be quieter. Having said that, this property is not for party goers as the pools close at 7:00pm and by 9:00pm, there is a wonderful quiet that covers the area, making the pounding of the waves feel all the more powerful. This beach has been written about so many times that I will not try and add anything other than, it is magnificent! Remember to pack a flashlight as strolling through the property after sunset (usually around 6:30pm) on your way down to the ocean, introduces a plethora of little night time creatures.

Other than different room styles, my family has loved all of the rooms that we have occupied. All were clean, comfortable and carefree. The property does not have air conditioners but the ocean breeze and ceiling fans, do not make this a requirement in even the hottest of seasons. The sea turtles are permanent residents and are easily seen while standing on the beach. The bay is also home to the large population of Humpback Whales that use these waters as their nursery. Cavorting porpoises will sometimes leap playfully from the water as you focus on whale watching (bring binoculars).

This is wonderful location for families and with the Napili Market just a short trip away, groceries are easy to pick up on a day to day basis if you are just leisurely unsure of food until the thought hits you. There are two barbeque stations and all of the rooms I have been in, have dishwashers. Eating out in Maui can be expensive so having the ability to eat in, lightens the drain on money that seems to accompany tropical vacations with family. The staff are all wonderful and they are very quick to resolve anything that might pop up. Staying at Napili Surf is what I would consider a Hawaiian vacation should be.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
SUllrich, General Manager at Napili Surf Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Aloha "Baudley",

Mahalo for taking the time to share with the readers of Tripadviser your experience at Napili Surf Beach Resort. I could not have composed a better and more balanced description of the Surf, especially, if you will, the personality of the guest and owners.

On behalf of the staff and owners, thank you and we hope to see you again soon,

Scott Ullrich
General manager
Stoney Creek, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

We are a family of 5 and really wanted a more laid back Hawaiian experience. This place is perfect. We had am amazing room on the 2nd floor overlooking the beach. The rooms are super clean, it is very quiet and perfect for a relaxing getaway. The rooms are a bit dated yes, but I found that added to the charm. I understand they are individually owned and managed by a management company. All the staff did a great job and were very helpful. The place is spotless. If you want the hustle and bustle, Kaanapali is just a 10 minute drive. Went there one day and so happy we chose Napili for our vacation. There are barbecues with a little herb garden, gardeners and staff taking care of the pool daily and beautiful tropical flowers all around. We watched breaching whales from our balcony, swam with the sea turtles and watched rainbow after rainbow. Don't miss any sunsets! They are wonderful. It did rain a bit but would not take long to clear up and most of the time we just sat and let the warm hawaiian rain cool us off. There is a waterfront trail we almost missed and glad we didn't. At the opposite end of the beach, there is a trail on the other side of the hotel there. Take a walk there and enjoy the beautiful views. On the one beach there were 3 weddings going on at the same time. A really special spot. At the Napili Surf, there was a Hawaiian Show on the lawn, so perfect. I understand this is done monthly which includes a Mai Tai party. Weekly morning coffee and fresh pastries and fruit for guests. \What more could you ask for. If you are going expecting room service and all the amenities, wrong place. If you want to take in a little piece of heaven and enjoy one of those special spots that you don't find very often, you have found the right place. Just hope they have room for us when we go back :)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Life isn't just about fixtures. We have stayed at some incredible places, perfect service and amazing food but something about this hotel was different.

We had room 220 which had a balcony facing the beach and was self catering. It was nice with plenty of room but the key was where the hotel is.

The beach is stunning and there are plenty of really good restaurants and breakfast places nearby. Just down the road is snorkel bobs where you can hire snorkeling gear. Don't think about it, do it. The first day we went out to try the gear and we'd heard people mention turtles in the water, yeah yeah. I turn around at one stage and floating next to me is a turtle roughly the size of a pool table. Unbelievable, completely passive, couldn't care that my wife and i floated by it for 10 minutes whilst it ate the greenery from some rocks.

We loved staying here and the staff were very helpful. Also they have washing facilities for clothes if you need (very useful after a week travelling).

Room Tip: Get a view of the beach with balcony. We spent hours just relaxing to the sound of the waves with a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Family of 4 stayed in Unit 212 at Napili Surf. Top floor, nice view of ocean from balcony. Quiet complex and very well kept....friendly staff too! Daily housekeeping is a bonus. Complex has about 50 units total and include a weekly reception for guests as well as weekly morning coffee/baked goods for guests. 2 pools in the complex, neither very big but suited our needs. Easy proximity to the beach and boy, what a beach - Napili Bay is beautiful! First time staying at Napili Surf and will not be our last. Have stayed in a few other areas of Maui (south of Lahaina at Puamana, Kihei area and Kahana) and will definitely be back to stay here again....and again! This resort has received many 5 stars and deservedly so.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Lebanon, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

The first thing to note about Napili Surf is that it is a small place with limited amenities. This not a large resort by any means. Come here only if you want a quiet, relaxed atmosphere in an out-of-the way location in a small complex.

We encountered folks here who have been regulars for decades - so, they are clearly doing something right.

First, it is important to provide a bit of detail about Napili in general -- this applies to all of the places in this area: It is toward the end of the long string of resorts and condos which line the West Maui area. Only Kapalua is further afield. This means that you can end up doing a lot of driving to get to shopping, other areas of Maui, etc. A mixed blessing. Traffic around here is definitely less than you would find in Lahaina or Kaanapali for example.

Weather can be an issue here. We have stayed in 2 different places in Napili - once in the Summer and once in the Winter and, in each case, found that while it can be sunny in Kaanapali it can be cloudy and rainy in Napili. This means that when you get lousy weather in Napili - you might find great weather just a couple of miles down the road.

The Beach and Surf: Napili Bay is beautiful - but can be a little crowded. The concern we found on this last trip here was that the surf is ROUGH. I would be concerned with taking small children here. As an adult I found the water bashing me about on numerous occasions. The reward, however, is some great snorkeling as the fish and turtles here are plentiful.

We stayed for 9 nights and I came away with mixed feelings. Here are what I see as some key strengths and weaknesses.

STRENGTHS: (We stayed in one-bedroom unit 208)
- The units are clean and well equipped along with grounds which are immaculate.
- Daily maid service was a definite plus.
- The biggest strength is you are only steps from the beach - which makes getting to the beach totally hassle free. Many other local places such as Napili Point have poor beach access.
- Small informal complex with parking quite close to your room
- Fairly quiet - and it seems that the management goes a long way to keep a quiet atmosphere.
- Rates - I checked around and the rates here seem to be a little lower than many other condo complexes.

WEAKNESSES:
- I pick just one of note - a weakness which, unfortunately, seems common to many condo developments... Lack of Privacy. Check out my pictures. While the brochures naturally highlight the views of the beach - what they don't show is that many-to-most of the units have little privacy. Right across from our 2nd story room was another complex and we felt like other people were looking in... they probably were.. we certainly had the occasional "show" from the units across the way.
- So... I went condo shopping at other local developments and found this to be a common problem with other units. Suggestion - when shopping for a condo on the beach - make sure that it just faces the beach - and does not overlook other public or common areas.
- Expect to have to keep your drapes closed whenever you are changing or don't want other folks to be looking in on you.
- This is a minor one but an irritant none-the-less... watching TV is just not comfortable. Something needs to be done to make this more comfortably for multiple adults to watch the TV at the same time. Also, no decent reading lights in the living room area.
- No washer-dryer in the units. You have to use a common facility. Not a bit deal, but a minor hassle.

DEMOGRAPHICS: Tends to be a bit older. While we definitely saw a few younger couples and families, a majority of the folks here are probably in their 60s and 70s.

Bottom-Line: I have mixed reactions. High praise to the folks who run this place, and I like having such easy access to the beach - but, for me, I probably want a place which is a bit more central and where the weather is a bit better.

Room Tip: Best views are from units 201-204. If you want privacy, consider the back building. These units hav...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Canandaigua, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Amazing property, right on Napili Beach. You can walk out of the condo and right onto the beach, where there's great waves to play in, decent snorkeling, and seaturtles to swim with! We were there only 2 days, far too short, and saw turtles three different times. The beach can be busy at time, but never felt crowded.

The condo is well kept, clean, and updated. Gorgeous kitchen that was very well kept, and a very modern and beautiful bathroom. Free wi-fi that worked very well, and on-site (coin) laundry. Parking is also included - a big deal as this is a popular beach and there really isn't public parking. The other renters when we were there were mostly retirement age couples - and it was quiet and friendly. We found it restful and enjoyed it very much.

My only very minor complaint was that during the day it could get rather warm in the condo and there was no air conditioning. I tend to like it cooler than most people, I think, and my partner was not bothered by the temperature. Once the sun went down and the ocean breeze kicked in, it became very comfortable. We were there in January, so if you like it cool and you go in the summer, you might want to factor that into your decision. It was not a major factor in my mind.

Very highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
SUllrich, General Manager at Napili Surf Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Aloha,

Mahalo for choosing Napili Surf for your Hawaii vacation. We appreciate your comments and know that your post is extremely helpful to Tripadviser readers.

We hope to see you very soon again at the Surf.

A Hui Hou!

Scott Ullrich
Napili Surf Beach Resort

Been to Napili Surf Beach Resort? Share your experiences!