“Another excellent stay.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 29 hotels in Lahaina
San Jose, California
“Another excellent stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Another wonderful stay at ONS. It was the hottest this time, out of our multiple trips staying here. But with the ceiling fan on and patio door open it was enough to keep it at a comfortable temperature.
And yes we will return and stay here again.

Note: The units are not air conditioned. Before some people give a less than deserved review. They should check the amenities of the resort prior to booking, complaining, and leaving poor reviews for a place you didn't even bother checking out prior to booking. SMH

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

460 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Coppell, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I had reserved this hotel the night before as we were traveling to Maul (I'm an airline employee that travels standby). Granted, I may have missed it, but no where online did it mention anything about air condition or the lack of it. I was under the assumption that AC should be standard, especially for out of town tourist to a tropical island. My assumption of AC would be the same that a hotel should also have a bed and bathroom, so having the assumption of AC is not out of the norm.

OK, so after I checked in and went to my room, that was a major surprise. First thing I did was to call the front desk and asked where is the AC control, whch they told me that they didn't have AC. The front desk lady was nice enough as she sensed my frustration to quickly to offer my money back if I hadn't use the room. The only reason this was not a 2 stars is because of her friendliness. She offered to use her phone so that I can call one of her sister property that's 2.1 miles away that has AC. Fourtunately, they had room and the rates were similar.

But back to this place. Where I had to walk to from the parking lot, the whole place just seemed old. The room I had was on the north side (right side) with parking lot facing the front door and view of the small pool. It reminds me of a small pool that they have at some cheap apartment living, not what I was expecting from a hotel in Maui. The decor and everything else was very dated. Even w/o the AC issue, I'm not sure if I could offer any more stars than the 3 here.

Room Tip: You have to drive through a residential neighborhood before reaching this hotel. My tip is not to s...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Don't risk ruining your vacation with this place.

Beware: There is no A/C in any of the units! You'll have to rely on a ceiling fan and whatever portable fans are available...completely ridiculous when you're dealing with temperatures up to 100F! The rooms are cleaned every 3 to 4 days, and the famous Kaanapali beach is about 5 miles away, where all the real action is. Our room also had a bug problem in the washroom and kitchen. Outside our entrance door, the night lamp flickered constantly, adding to the rundown feel of the whole place. We were booked at Napili Shores for 4 days but left after 2 days and moved to the Whaler on Kaanapali beach, which was beautiful, so we managed to end our honeymoon on a high note.

This place should only be considered if you're planning to cheap out on your stay in Maui and don't care about having a good night's sleep.There are far better options available right on
Kaanapali beach, and that's where you want to be if you're in West Maui!

• Stayed August 2014
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We had a very nice studio with garden view. It is very close to Napili beach and that was wonderful! The property has its own surf gear shop where you can rent your snorkel gear and everything else you like for the beach. There is a very good restaurant ( Iron Emu BBQ) where you can have a perfect take out if you like. The Gazebo is an other restaurant , great for breakfast we heard.
We stayed here for a week and had a great time. The bbq's near the pool were very good and we loved to broil ours steaks on them.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Our family stayed here in Buildings G and H on the first floor. We had 7 rooms- a combination of studios and 1 bedrooms. We stayed in a 1 bedroom. My husband and I slept on the King sized bed and our 3 kids slept on the queen and single sofa sleepers in the living room. The kitchen was well-appointed and linens and towels were provided. Housekeeping came every 3 days to refresh the linens, take out the trash, vacuums, and replenish the bathroom. There are also community washers and dryers if you need to do laundry. It costs $3.00 total to do a load of laundry.

The location can not be beat! The hotel was right on Napili Beach and next door to Honukeana Cove where we snorkeled with about 15 giant sea turtles. Napili Shores is about 10 minutes from Kaanapali and 15 minutes from Lahaina. The Gazebo restaurant is located right by the lower pool. Tip: Instead of waiting in line, call in your order at 8am and it will be ready for pick up. Then eat it on your lanai! We also rented all of our snorkel gear and floatation devices from Waterworks which is right on the property. They had daily and weekly rates that were reasonable.

All in all this was a very relaxing and beautiful place to stay. I took off one star because of the lack of air conditioning (which we really didn't need because of the trade winds and the ceiling fans), and because of the little ants that seemed to appear and disappear throughout the kitchen. If you are looking for a reasonable place to stay and aren't picky with things like room service and a night life, then this is the place for you.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Just read some of the more recent reviews for this place and I am somewhat shocked by the negative reviews; this was hands down the best place we stayed at during our three week honeymoon, and considering the generally high prices of accommodation in Maui, this was our budget option!

Simply put, we loved this place. Everything from the fantastic location, to the size of the rooms, and of course, the Gazebo breakfast restaurant, it was all good with us.

We stayed in one of the suites on the first floor of a block close to the beach, having requested a first floor apartment after reading the reviews on here. The apartment was spacious, clean, large comfy bed, and good shower. The kitchenette area was well stocked with cutlery, dishes, and pretty much most other items you might require. The only real criticism is that there is no air con in the apartments, but you do have a large ceiling fan, which is surprisingly effective on its highest setting, and a good bug screen on the balcony doors, meaning you can leave the door open during the night with the bug screen in, and that'll cool down the rooms nicely without having to suffer being attacked by insects. Being on the first floor will also help with noise issues, of which we didn't have any (and I'm a light sleeper).

The location is one of the main selling points. There are three small pools in the ground, and you are on top of a lovely beach cove. Although shared by 3-4 condo resorts around it, the beach never really got that busy, and you'll easily be able to find a good spot to set up base, regardless of what time of day it is. The beach itself is great for swimming in, with calm waters, and there is even a small coral area a bit further out. Plenty of people said that they saw Turtles out in the small rockier area (although we did not see any). As for the rest of the ground, there are great BBQ oven units outside that are easy to use, and are generally kept clean. There is also a great hire shop on the site where you can hire beach umbrellas, snorkelling equipment, paddling boards etc for very reasonable prices.

As for the food options, well the Gazebo cafe is the star of the show. A fantastic setting, backed up by fantastic food (the white choc macademia nut pancakes are the star of the show). It is hugely popular though, so be prepared to start queuing from 7:10 am onwards for a 7:30 opening, or visit much later in the day, otherwise you will be waiting for a hour or so in the heat of the sun! Despite that it is worth it. Sadly the newer BBQ evening restaurant isn't all that, but if you want a good BBQ, just take a 5 min drive to the decent 'Foodland' supermarket to do it yourself, or if you fancy something a bit more sophisticated, the 'Sea House' restaurant on the other side of the beach cove is well worth the visit, and makes a great walk along the beach at night.

Having chosen this place due to the beach hotels being too expensive, I can definitely say that I would go for a condo resort again with all the freedom it brings, and should I ever return to Maui, this will be the only place I would want to stay at.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Kearny, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

I came here on my honeymoon, expecting to have a beautiful time. After checking in, my wife and I walked to find our room. After opening the door and taking a look around we realized there was no air conditioning and the cabinets have a bad oder with tiny bugs inside them. We walked right out and back to the front desk. They wanted to charge us a full night plus a 300$ cancelation fee. I have stayed in hotels that cost 50$ a night and have had better experiences. Beware before booking.

• Stayed July 2014

Been to Outrigger Napili Shores? Share your experiences!