“July 14 at the Marriott on Maui” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
Larned, Kansas
“July 14 at the Marriott on Maui”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

July 2014 my wife and I stayed at the Marriott Maui Ocean Club Resort. We have Marriott Vacation Points and we used our points to reserve a ocean front room at the resort. We were in the older building which did not have a full kitchen but the Resort has added a Common Kitchen that we used and were very satisfied with. Our room had a small fridge which did limit what we could keep cold. Other than the limited kitchen, the view from our room more than compensated for anything the kitchen lacked. The Marriott beds are by far the best we have experienced in our travel experiences. The Marriott Staff were very polite and were able to meet all of our special requests and were very helpful in advising us what to do to experience Maui. Our room was on the 6th floor and the view from our balcony was Kaanapali Beach where surfing lesions were being taught. We had tried to get into the Napali Tower which would have had a full kitchen but we would have not been right on the ocean. We were very happy to give up the stove and full refrigerator in exchange for the view. The pool was beautiful. This resort is only a short distance from Lahaina and also is just a short walk to Whalers Village for shopping, dinner and entertainment. If we go back to Maui in the future I would not hesitate to book this resort again.

Room Tip: Any room with ocean front or pool view will be a great view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We travelled a long way from the UK to get to the resort in Maui and we were not disappointed. The one bedroom apartment was large with 2 bathrooms and a beautiful view of the ocean. We knew that there was not a full kitchen so that did not surprise us - but we do think this is an issue for this property. We would have much preferred a full kitchen with washer drier etc.
Service at the hotel was excellent and everyone was cheerful and pleasant.
We did have a couple of issues which were not directly attributable to the hotel, but which people may want to be aware of. There were people with stereos on around the pool which was really annoying. We had problems with people being rude when we suggested they listened to the music on their headphones. The hotel management was good at trying to deal with this when we contacted them.
Also this resort is really directed at families which could be a bit overwhelming if you are a couple - as we were. However, we talked to lots of people and our fellow guests were on the whole friendly and interested to know where we had come from.
Restaurants... we loved Roy's and Lahaina Grill
Helpful tip... we bought the plastic drink holders for about $34 and that gave you unlimited free drinks for your stay. We thought this was a great idea and great value.
We loved .... the walk along the beach front all the way to the Sheraton and beyond. We did this every day and enjoyed stopping off at Whaler's Village to wander through the interesting shops there.

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms are spectacular
Woodinville, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I would recommend this hotel, my family owns time share's here and we come here every summer!

Great place to relax and enjoy your vacation! The concierge is very nice and always willing to try and help you. The rooms are always clean and spacious. If you request a room on a certain floor they will try to find you one as close to it as possible; and if they know a room is opening up in a day or two after you check in, they will give you the option of switching rooms later on.
Each room is equipped with a fridge and most of the newer 'time share rooms' are equipped with a full kitchen. So, if you like to cook or barbecue (which are located near the outside of the bottom floor rooms) you will greatly enjoy yourself.
In walking distance of other hotels and the board walk shopping center. It is right on the beach, so you are very close to many water activities. The beach is mostly a sand beach with the exception of rocks under the water in some areas of the beach. All in all, an enjoyable experience. You can rent lounge chairs and get a massage right by the beach. The hotel has a shuttle going to the airport, if you need it! If you want to go to some of the other towns and shop, you can walk over to the board walk shopping center and catch the bus.

Room Tip: Bottom floor rooms have quicker access to the pool and the outside. The bottom floor rooms facing th...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Our first family trip to Maui & we loved this resort. Saw many other reviews that stated parking was $15 a night or so if you rent a car. That was for valet. We parked out car in the garage for free (as mentioned to us when we checked in). There are a lot of kids running around, so this is not the place for romance. However the place is fantastic for families & we had a great time. Grounds are beautiful & since there are 3 pools, there's always room to sit & swim.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
NASNJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Stayed in Napili Tower with Ocean Front View in 2010 and rated my stay 5 star. Everything was fantastic. This is a beautiful property in a great location. We liked it so much that this year we rented two villas and brought my son and his family (two adults and two teens) with us. An incident in one villa marred what would have been a perfect week. It has shaken my faith in Marriott's commitment to excellence and prompted me to list the cons before the pros in this review and drop it to three star.

CONS: Our villa was on the second floor of the Lahaina Tower with what we were informed in advance would be a view of the mountains. We booked this because it was a special promotion offered to Marriott Rewards members and we were booking a second villa at full price. To get the special rate we had to sit through a time share presentation which was not a problem. We did not expect a great view but we did expect to be able to use the lanai in the morning to watch the sun rise with a cup of coffee. The lanais in our villa were useless. They had glass doors shutting them off for good reason. The room was right over a long building with noisy equipment and very scant view of the mountains. But we felt that since we knew in advance that the view would not be great as the price was discounted we would live with the disappointment of coffee in our room rather than on the lanai. However on the second day of our stay my husband felt dizzy in the afternoon and my son accompanied him to our rooms so that he could lay down in the air conditioning. When they entered the villa they were met with the over-whelming stench of an open sewer that permeated the entire villa. My son called me and I immediately left the beach and went to guest services where they told me there was nothing they could do as the property was sold out. I insisted on speaking to someone in charge and finally got to speak to the manager who said there was nothing he could do. He said that the smell is an ongoing problem that happens weekly when they clean the oil traps. The smell that permeated our villa was not from oil it was sewer. We live in a rural area with septic systems so we know the difference between a sewer and an oil trap. I asked why they would rent a villa in that location on the days they knew there would be a problem. The manager said it happens often but the trade winds eventually take care of it. After repeatedly saying there was nothing he could do but seeing that I was not leaving without some sort of resolution, the manager contacted the building maintenance man and he put some sort of air filter or ionizers in the rooms and told us we had to stay out of the villa for at least another 40 minutes to an hour. When we went back to the rooms two hours later the smell was mostly gone but NO ONE should have to put up with that kind of smell for any length of time for any price. The stench permeating that room presented a health hazard. I don't know how the health department allows it to go on. Even special promotions at Marriott are not cheap. This is not up to Marriott standards and it put a damper on what would have been a perfect stay. I don't know how they expect to sell a time share after putting a guest through something like that.
PROS: We each had 1 bedroom 2 bath villas with pull out queen sofa in the living rooms,and lanais off both living rooms and bedrooms. There was plenty of room for relaxing in both villas and two large size flat screen TVs in each villa. Each kitchenette was well equipped. In addition there are laundry facilities and full kitchens available on the property as well as outside grills in very nice locations. The rooms were very clean and the staff generally helpful. The villa my son had was on the second floor of the Molokai Tower. It had an ocean view that was almost as spectacular as our previous ocean front room in the Napili tower. We paid full price for this villa. there was some noise in the morning when the grounds keepers were tiding up but it was tolerable.

Room Tip: Avoid second floor mountain view Lahaina
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

One word, WOW. I can not say enough about how great my families stay was at the resort. My parents are owners, they bought in a 2009, and invited my wife and I, my two daughters 14 and 12, and a 15 year old friend to stay with them. We stayed in a two bedroom mountain view room on the corner of Napali tower.

What an amazing view of the mountains. Every night we were greeted by a beautiful rainbow coming through the clouds and a fantastic trade wind cooling us off. We would sit on the Lanai and just talk, while the girls would relax.

The suit itself was absolutely gorgeous. Modern and very comfortable furniture, and an updated kitchen. We cooked and barbecued everynight, then sat down for a family meal - which we don't get to do to often at home.

Two off the girls slept on the pullout coach in the living room, which was shockingly very comfortable, and a place for the teens to get away from the sun.

The resort was like a cruise ship, you could never be board. From water sports-surfing, boogie boarding, snorkeling right off the beach to body surfing (getting sand down your trunks in other words). All day pool time in one of three pools, shopping, resting and just reading or sun bathing. Walking down a walkway to shopping centers, sitting in a hammock or just taking a class on shore fishing, or on Hawaiian culture. We could no t do it all, but we tried. The best part, although busy, it was relaxing.

In the morning I would get my soda in my purchased cup, while my wife got her coffee from a crowded Starbucks- which the whole family loved. Then the day would begin on a beautiful Maui setting.
My wife and I also did the tour of possibly buying points. To be honest, I never thought I would want to. But then we met Joshua. He was the most amazing salesman. Adding no pressure, but selling the Marriott name and what you would be getting. If we had the money, we would of scooped up many points, which will be accomplished next year.

After a rough year last year - we had to put off the vacation due to my mother's battle with cancer- I truly want to thank the Mariott for the incredible stay. I would recommend it to anyone who wants family time, relaxation, water sports, swimming, or shopping. It was an AMAZING EXPERIENCE.

Scott.Stiverson

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
NEW YORK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

This is our second time visiting Maui. The first time we rented a nice condo
apartment on the water but the second time I wanted to try this property as I
have a friend who owns a timeshare here and he highly recommended it. We are not
owners and booked a five night paid stay with the resort which is another
option. A very nice person left a friendly reminder voicemail about our upcoming
stay reservations about a week beforehand. Parking fee for this resort is $15
per day as we rented a car. Our accommodations included a king bed with sleeper
sofa, even though there were only two of us. We had a microwave and fridge in
the room. The ocean view was spectular and if we opened the lanai door at night,
we could hear the calming sound of the ocean which lulled us off to sleep. Nice
location near Front Street in Lahania Kanappali area. The main restaurant was
being renovated, so we ate out most of the time because the place they had open
was an expensive fast food type of place. Cute shops on property. If they could
only have a better restaurant. Overall, a nice stay. I would definitely stay
here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott's Maui Ocean Club? Share your experiences!