“One Bad Apple Can Ruin the Bunch” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rewards Members Save 35%
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Lahaina
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
“One Bad Apple Can Ruin the Bunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

My family stayed at this Marriott property on our vacation and loved the beautiful pool area (we have a 4 year old so it was nice to have both adult and kid-friendly pool venues). We loved the proximity of the beach, with stunning sunsets nearly every night. To truly swim in the ocean (yes, you can) you need to walk further down toward the Westin for best water (meaning less undertow). You can swim and boogie board at the Ocean Club but there is rough coral about 20 feet out and the undertow is quite powerful. That said, I enjoyed it and made great sandcastles with my 4 year old! Our room was typical of Marriott which for me means a clean room, nice 3 to conservative 4 star property. The exterior of the hotel "towers" leaves something to be desired but it was built much earlier and then purchased by Marriott. We had a suite with 2 balconies, with a great sunset view. They have an on property restaurant which was not bad though some of the reviews I read made me a bit nervous just prior to dining there. We did not eat breakfast there. The Starbucks on property made up for that. Oh! and the Valet Parking is very affordable at about $14 per day. They don't have the call down service which perplexes me but nonetheless the wait times weren't too bad.

...so overall you can't go wrong with the property. But alas, one employee can truly ruin a family's experience. Let me elaborate: After standing in line to check in (at about 4:30pm or so and rooms were promised ready by 3pm), we find out our room is not yet ready. No biggie really, we're on vacation and we're in HAWAII for pete's sake! So they give us a $10 coupon for the pool bar and we drag our carry ons to the pool bar and just chill, soaking in the fun. It's truly no problem in my mind at this point. They "page" us by calling my mobile about 45 minutes later to let me know our room is ready.

I return to the front desk and behold, another long line. So, I decide I already stood in the line and Marriott now owes me a clean room ready by 3pm which it did not provide. I go up to the only gentleman who has no one in front of him and let him know we were just paged that our room is ready. And he very quickly informs me I must wait in line like the other guests. I then inform him I have already done that once and will not do it again, and he mumbles something and I walk away as my blood pressure (and possibly the bar beverage they helped me to buy [a bit of humor here mind you]) quickly was activated and therefore walked to the very nice person I met with my first time through the line. She was with someone and I, out the side of my mouth so Mr. Gentleman wouldn't see me (really, this is what I have to do??), "Hi 'Liulani,' (not her real name)..." they called us up that our room is ready." She says very quickly, "oh, stand right over there and I'll be right with you." She very quickly comes out and gives us our keys and we're set. I give the "gent" a glance and happily go on my way resenting Marriott for having employed someone like him. Why couldn't the Gentleman have done what service-driven Liulani did? Why didn't he detect in my tone that I was obviously becoming frustrated? The answers to these questions I'm sure are varied and numbered, but I simply attribute it to lack of training. Okay, I'm breathing...relax, relax...So I got another Mai Tai and got over him and quickly got into the groove.

That was, of course, after we had to call housekeeping to come and vacuum our room and get the fingernails and trash they missed while hastily cleaning. Still, even with these two negatives, the property was a stable choice.

Overall, not a bad property.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room with a sunset view. It's just worth it!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The Hotel is conveniently located in a hotel complex. We had a Wharf Village with convenience stores and restaurants. The bus is available to go to town in Lahaina. The rooms were clean and very spacious. It had a kichenette , living room and a Master bedroom. The master bedroom was really big and comfortable.

The hotel restaurant only opens on evenings after 5pm. The pools are great. There are kiddie pools and adult poll all around the property.

The staff of the hotel was really friendly and would greet you anywhere you were.
They have Barbrcue grills , very convenient to cook for a family.

There other restaurants in hotels close by , walking distance.
The beach was clean and had great ambiance.

Room Tip: If you want quiet you can choose away from the main area although you hardly hear anything.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Just finishing up a lovely week with our daughter and family plus two more grandkids--8 people in all. We had a two-bedroom "garden view" in the Napili tower but it was overlooking a pool, beautiful lawn and the ocean in the foreground. We couldn't have been more happy. We cooked in the full kitchen, did necessary laundry and relaxed. Only problem was one of the pull-out beds was unusable. Even the children couldn't tolerate it. The other pull-out (in the main living area) was great. We had requested a roll-away which was waiting for us, so one kid slept here, another on the folded up couch. Just don't count on having a usable pull-out in the studio.

My husband had broken his ankle shortly before the trip so we rented a scooter for him and he zipped around the resort, over to the Hyatt Luau and had a great time. The handicapped shower was a bit dicey, but he managed. The "roll-in" shower had a 3-4 inch step-over, one grab bar and no hand held shower. It was extremely slippery, as was the bathroom floor. I don't know how a person with even less mobility could have managed.

Other than what was mentioned, we were very satisfied. The service was outstanding. All the staff was friendly and helpful. Any request we made was answered quickly and completely, with followup calls to assure we were satisfied.

San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We own a Marriott timeshare in Kauai & traded into this property. Please beware! This property trades under two different resort codes! We were in the main hotel (a large u shaped, very dated building) and it surrounds the large pool. The hotel seemed almost abandoned when we were back by our room. There were no full kitchens and no in suite laundry!! Our room had a limited kitchen (no oven or stove), a small refridge & a bar sink with no garbage disposal. The parking for this entire resort is extremely difficult, although you could valet for $16 per day. The hotel provides a lot of chairs by the pool, however guests reserve the good chairs (under umbrellas) as early as 6am - I didn't want to play that game at first & then realized I had no choice if my family was to have a few chairs together anywhere near the pool. There are two newer buildings on either side of the hotel that are the newer timeshare units with kitchens & laundry - make sure you are in these!

Enough of the bad - now the good. We had a nice view from our balcony. If you are going to stay in the main hotel, make sure you have a lower level room that has a larger balcony. It looked like the higher level rooms (above 3?) had very small balconies. Our room overlooked the pool, then the beach - a very nice view & sunset. The pool is nice and large. It had a fun water slide for our two boys (ages 7 & 9). Our daughter is 5 and was too short to go on the slide, although there was another smaller slide she had fun on. There is a nice baby pool with a ship in the middle, as well as a section for basketball and volleyball in the pool. Their bar makes awesome MaiTai's and they are a little cheaper at happy hour. They have two nice, large hot tubs. There seemed to be lots for young children to do - lei making, shave ice every day a 1pm (mon-thurs), & other fun activities. There were no hard core timeshare marking people tracking us down - which was a nice change from other resorts we have stayed at. While there was no laundry in our unit, the hotel does have a main laundry room that guest can use free of charge. It got a little crowded at times, but was better than nothing.

More good things - this hotel is within walking distance to "Whalers Village", which has a few decent restaurants in it. We also took a snorkeling tour (Gemini Tours) that left from the Westin in this same area. If you want a good breakfast, walk to Maui fish & pasta in Whalers Village. Otherwise we drove to Lahina (~2 miles), which had many restaurants to choose from, a lot of them on the water. Our favorite restaurants (which we reviewed separately) were MaLa and Koa's Seaside Grill - both which you need reservations at - but are well worth the effort.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

An unforgettable family holiday with my husband and 2 kids, 5 and 7 yo. Our room had a stunning Mountain view but we could still see the beach. There was a small fridge, microwave and coffee machine which was perfect to heat up food and keep drinks and snacks.

The pools are amazing, we spent most of our time near the kids pirate ship and the pool near the tennis courts which was less busy in the afternoons. You do get the early birds saving pool chairs with towels at 6am, but when we got down there at 8-9am, there was still plenty of spots left.

There's a good kiosk/cafe near the pool, next to Starbicuks. A couple of mornings we bought bagels for breakfast and had lunch from there a few times- ribs, coconut shrimp, burgers & fries etc. and the prices were reasonable. On our first day we bought a refillable soft drink cup for $34, it seems expensive but for 8 days we got our moneys worth with water, juice and soft drink refills available from first thing in the morning to 7pm at night. I saw some people even putting coffee in it. I would definitely recommend buying one or two to share.

We hired a car and the drive from the airport was easy (with GPS), we opted for self parking which is conveniently located in a multi storey and $15 per day which is a lot cheaper than valet ($30+dly), and in the end we didn't get charged for parking, woop woop!!

If you have kids do not hesitate to stay here, it was perfect for us and we will be back :)

Room Tip: Buy a refillable cup from kiosk near pool.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I cannot say enough about how wonderful our stay at the Marriot Ocean Club. We were in one of the older towers and still was very impressed with our room. It was awesome, the location was amazing, the pools were incredible, and there was lots for us to do! Staff was helpful and it was really a great place to just relax...with a great beach right on site and close proximity to everything. my tween kids loved to just go to the game room by themselves, and it was so safe that we felt comfortable leaving them to play alone and make friends...

Room Tip: get a room with an ocean view if you can. we had an amazing view,,beautiful sunsets.
Yakima, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

This property was perfect for the family vacation! Everyone from the 3 year old, the Tweens, 20 year olds, and 79 year old Grandpa plus everyone in between had a great time. Plenty of free activities for all ages. I loved the White Tiger Wellness! 3 pools to choose from including water slides, pirate ship and water falls. Lots of grass for the boys to run around on or to play bocce ball. A short walk to snorkel or to a luau. Plus our corner room with balcony had amazing views of ocean. I could easily stay another week!

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Marriott's Maui Ocean Club? Share your experiences!