“One of the nicest in Kannapali” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
St. Albert, Canada
“One of the nicest in Kannapali”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

THis was our first stay at Marriott's Ocean Club on Maui. The staff were excellent. Very helpful, always. I have 3 kids ages 5, 3 and 1. The amenities for the kids is fantastic and there were 2 to 3 activities every day for them that were free, from treasure hunts to treasure chest making, to snow cones to movie watching in the movie theater. They also have free recreation rental s from bocci ball to badminton. The pool is fantastic. A few minor drawbacks are you have to be 42" and able to swim to use the slide and it is only one at a time. I wish they had a few slides you could ride with an adult or a few smaller slides. Also on the pirate ship, which my kids spent hours at, like a mini spray park, the first step is very high and my 1 year old was unable and my 3 year old had difficulty getting up it. Parking is tough in the 12 level parkade. Very narrow and many vehicles. I went for a run every morning and I must say of the 12 hotels I ran by every morning, the Marriott's grounds were by far the best with only one hotel coming close. Starbucks is a little pricey, but it is there and the only one on that side of the island so I was not complaining. Wednesday night they have an amazing all you can eat buffet with crab and prime rib, baked potatoes, corm on the cob, salad and dessert. You eat on the ocean. $25 for the first 80 people at 5pm, we lined up at 420pm and got the 80th ticket! $32 after that, but still worth it and kids 5 and under are free, even better. One other thing I did not know when booking, but this hotel is basically 3 resorts in one. You can book at any of the three towers and it is all the same, the centre one being the eldest, but where the action is. All three are within 2 minute walks of each other and use the same parking and front desk. There largest inventory of rooms are island view (parking lot and golf course) and ocean front view with smaller inventories for the ocean view and mountain view (pool view, low enough that the ocean cannot really be seen).

Room Tip: 3 different hotels in this one resort (really not 3 different hotels, but hotel names - really names...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Wife and I stayed five nights in January using Marriott points. Got a small room with a beautiful beach view, but on the Vacation Club presentation tour we saw the view from a few different rooms, and even the view of the island was stunning. I think the key is to get a high floor, no matter which direction you face, if you are looking for the best view from the room. Loved the grounds--so many pools and hot tubs, we could always find a nice quiet place for a swim in the shade. Limited restaurants at the hotel, but just a short walk along the beach to so many nice options. The Vacation Club presentation was not high pressure and got us $300 room credit, which paid for our valet parking, a Trilogy whale watching cruise we booked through the concierge, and our "all you can eat crab legs feast" in the restaurant Wednesday night. It did take closer to two hours than the advertised 90 minutes, though. We scheduled it early in the morning on the first full day of our visit so we could get it behind us. Thought valet parking was well worth the cost, very prompt and courteous car delivery when we went out to visit Old Lahaina town and to do the road to Hana. Lots of families with children, but only one or two of the pool areas would get noisy, and it was always peaceful at night.

Room Tip: Ocean view and island view are both stunning, ask for a higher floor.
Bethesda, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We were approciated by phone about a 5 night promotion to stay at the property for $999 and listen to a 90 minute presentation for their time share offer. We upgraded with another $100 to get a better room with at least a garden view, so that we could assess the property better. We called frequently before the trip and received lots of assurances that it would be a nice room with at least a garden view. We arrived exactly at check in time and were taken to our room. The "garden view" was of a high rise parking lot!!!! We called the desk and were told that no rooms would be available until the next day with a better view. We said we still wanted to be moved the next day. That did not happen until late afternoon the next day, after we had lived in the first unit, had to repack at 10:00 that morning and be without a room for better part of the second day!
So in summary, avoid the promotion unless you don't care about what you see, but if you are not going for the promotion, the property and the services are similiar to what others have said--excellent. However, other Marriott Time Share Owners who had chosen the property, were also unhappy with the rooms on this side, although we got the worse room.

Also, Hyatt will be constucting for the next two years near the Marriott Ocean Club, so it could be noisy for quite a while.

Room Tip: See above!!!
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Definitely a place you want to stay! Right from our check-in which wasn't till 11 pm, the staff was fantastic and attentive to our needs. The concierge emailed my husband 2 weeks prior to our stay asking for any specific requests. Since we were only staying 2 nights and on points, we asked for a higher room with an ocean view, and away from the elevators. When we awoke in the morning the view was more than breathtaking...it was absolutely beautiful. And in the evenings the sunset was spectacular. The grounds are impeccable. We were there only 10 days prior to Christmas but we only saw another person on our floor as we were checking out. There was plenty of seating at the pools, and umbrellas around. The only thing that should be changed at the pools was the water slide set up. The small "kiddie" slide has the kids sliding into 5 ft of water...not great if the parents aren't tall and the kids can't swim. And the big slide has the kids shooting out across the water and they must be able to swim, but at least the dept of the water is only about 4 ft. There were lots of pools, in fact, we were the only ones in one of them one evening.
The Starbucks is way overpriced on the grounds...so try to avoid and use the coffee pot in your room.
Because this is an "ocean club" I can see why it is very hard to use your points to get a room here. They are your typical Ocean club room, but the grounds make it even more inviting.
Use the valet parking, especially if in the towers, as it is only $2 more than self parking, which is far, far away.
It is only about a 10 min stroll to Whaler's Village, which houses many restaurants and shops. Also a 10 min stroll to the Hyatt...if you are travelling with children, walk down and check out the parrots, penguins and cranes they have. The kids will enjoy the experience.
The hotel staff was very gracious and received my packages that I had shipped even after we had checked out, (we had moved to the Marriott on the other side of Maui)...they even had called me to inform me they had arrived and I could pick up at my convenience.
I hope to be back to enjoy this Ocean Club again soon. Definitely a 1st class Marriott resort...well done!

Room Tip: Napili towers is the place to be...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Frederick, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The service staff is unfriendly (except the towel shack and some of the valet staff), the only on site restaurant is very bad, and when things go wrong no one is the least but concerned in helping. We booked 7 months in advance and have a view of the parking lot (and we're Marriott timeshare owners) and when I asked if there was anything that could be done was actually told by the on site customer service rep it was "against the law to change rooms since these are deeded properties". Huh? Really?
I'm sure Marriott saves a great deal of money on training since the only thing the front desk staff know how to say is "I'm sorry, but there's nothing I can do". He wouldn't even look up a phone number for me. Told me to go to the guest services desk.
And there's very little parking so you're forced to valet or drive down the road.
In general the entire experience is third class, and far below what you should get for the price. I have stayed in hotels and resorts all over the world, many of them a Marriott, and have never had such poor, uncaring service, such poor food, and only moderate facilities. I was left to feel like this was a group who knew you had no choice but to accept it so they made no effort to make the experience enjoyable.
DO NOT COME HERE IF YOU WANT A PLEASANT STAY. THERE ARE FAR TOO MANY GOOD ALTERNATIVES. SHAME ON YOU MARRIOTT.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MVCI_Executive, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott's Maui Ocean Club, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience at Marriott's Maui Ocean Club. This is not typical of the guest experience at our resort and we would appreciate an opportunity to personally address your concerns. Please contact us at customer.care@vacationclub.com or at 800 860 9384. We look forward to hearing from you.
Coalville, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We just got home from a week of staying at the Maui Ocean Club. Seriously, one of my favorite resorts ever. I think it has a lot to do with the location too. We've never stayed here before but it is on the best beach and within walking distance of so many restaurants and shops. We stayed in the Maui tower- a little older but the rooms were really nice and up to date. We loved the restaurants on the hotel grounds and the restaurants in Whalers Village. This resort has beautiful grounds, pools, beaches, everything really. I have nothing to say but good things! Bonus- they have a hospitality room with showers so you can hang out at the resort if you have a late night flight!

Room Tip: If you want a new room, choose the Lahaina and/or the Napili villas. If you get a bigger room, they...
Nanaimo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The property itself is vey beautiul, but we were completely lied to and Marriott Vacation Club completely misrepresented what they offered. We went to a sales presentation in Feb 2012 and were thrilled with the resort. We did not want to spontanelously purchase so we purchased an "Encore Package" ....1 Bedroom Oceanview, to make a more informed decision. We booked our holiday 10 months in advance for April 2012. We received a conirmation number and booked two weeks in Maui. Three weeks before we were scheduled to leave Marriott phoned and confirmed our sales presentation and our Oceanview room. Ten days prior to our departure, Marriot Vacations called and indicated they made a mistake and that the oceanview is not available and they booked us into a Gardenview room. I was shocked, I explained that I had no interest in a gardenview and that I purchased an oceanview room. They apologized and was told me that the resort was booked and they could not provide me with what I paid for. They offered $300.00 in resort gift certiicates. I explained that I booked an Oceanview to experience what I would have purchased as we were considering Vacation Ownership at the resort. The supervisor I spoke with would not allow me to escalate this to a manager; she applied we can take the gardenview or cancel the booking. We already paid for our flights and other hotel accomodations so cancelling was not an option. We do not trust what Marriott Vacations sells as this was not only a horrible screw up but their representatives take no accountability and do not return your phone calls. At least we found this out prior to spending $80,000 on Vacation Ownership.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Marriott's Maui Ocean Club? Share your experiences!